• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A little caminho history from central Portugal...

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
I was stumbling my way through a blog written (in Portuguese) by the chairperson of Barqunha concelho (municipality would be the closest, I guess, in English). Sr. Freire is a history buff, and has done a lot of research on his/my district in the last decade. One of his posts from 2012 shows a map showing 16th century pilgrimage routes through central Portugal. I thought pilgrims today might be interested in this...

1569190922478.png

Sr. Freire notes that this route was referred to already at the time of Dom Dinis 1 (considered the king who was "father" of modern Portugal)--1302. The dotted and solid lines on the map above refer to the routes of two friars, Frere Claude de Bronsevel and Dom Edme de Saulieu, in 1532 and 1533. Unfortunately, the map is cut off north of Coimbra, but it clearly shows both the Central and Interior routes, as well as some interesting routing in the Alentejo, south of the Tagus.

For those of you with an historical bent, Dom Dinis's wife was the sainted Queen Isabella, who was canonized in 1625. She is the patron saint of Coimbra, and if you should make a stop in that city, the historical Santa Clara a Velha convent just across the bridge from central Coimbra is well worth a visit!

Original blog: https://atalaia-barquinha.blogspot.com/2012/04/atalaia-e-barquinha-nos-caminhos-de.html

(Note the absence on the map of Fatima, which is a 20th-century site.)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
More on Coimbra: this map https://pilgrimdb.github.io/maps.html?route=topo/portugues showing the route into Coimbra indicates that the recommended walking route goes right across the bridge adjacent to the Santa Clara a Velha convent:

Coimbra--location of convent.jpg

An easy detour, and fascinating. The convent was submerged for 400 years because of flooding of the River Mondego! Now a historical site.

Coimbra is lovely - well worth a visit even if you're not walking any of these routes. The train from Lisbon doesn't cost much, and there is a lot to see and do. And eat, of course.

When I walked through Coimbra a few years ago, I was happy that I had already been there as a tourist, but I saw different things on each visit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
More on Coimbra: this map https://pilgrimdb.github.io/maps.html?route=topo/portugues showing the route into Coimbra indicates that the recommended walking route goes right across the bridge adjacent to the Santa Clara a Velha convent:

View attachment 65017

An easy detour, and fascinating. The convent was submerged for 400 years because of flooding of the River Mondego! Now a historical site.

Below (or wherever those images will be posted) - are a few photos of the pilgrim place of the mentioned Convento site. taken 2014 during my caminho there - Fond memories -

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_335.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_335.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 15
  • fullsizeoutput_789.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_789.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    969.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 16
  • fullsizeoutput_cd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_cd.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 14
Great photos of a beautiful city!

I may be mistaken, but I think the convent pictures above are Santa Clara a Nova. They actually built a second convent further up the hill, and moved Santa Isabella's tomb up there, after Santa Clara a Velha was flooded out. It sat underwater for 400+ years, drowned by the river, and then about 10 years ago was drained and excavated, and turned into a fascinating historical site with a small museum. The newer convent is spectacular in a different way.

a nova = "the new" a velha = "the old"

Below: the old convent with its cloister flooded--the church was used as a barn, I believe, for many, many years!

1569253457787.png

Below: after draining, excavations, and renewal. If you look at the base of the buttresses on the church in the two photos, you can see how much was underwater!

1569253556331.png

Last edited:
Great photos of a beautiful city!

I may be mistaken, but I think the convent pictures above are Santa Clara a Nova. They actually built a second convent further up the hill, and moved Santa Isabella's tomb up there, after Santa Clara a Velha was flooded out. It sat underwater for 400+ years, drowned by the river, and then about 10 years ago was drained and excavated, and turned into a fascinating historical site with a small museum. The newer convent is spectacular in a different way.

a nova = "the new" a velha = "the old"

Below: the old convent with its cloister flooded--the church was used as a barn, I believe, for many, many years!

View attachment 65056

Below: after draining, excavations, and renewal. If you look at the base of the buttresses on the church in the two photos, you can see how much was underwater!

View attachment 65058
indeed - you are quite right - it's the "new" one (As Gustavo, 'my' guide then also shared that the "new" one is the largest/most 'intact' Baroque Convent in Europe ). Unfortunately, no photo taking permitted - hence I am not able to share any of the courtyard and other marvelous sights, etc. - Thank you so very much posting the images of the 'even older' convent. Saluti - C

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had a rest day in Coimbra and spent a lovely day doing touristy things. The old University library and tower get my vote too. The Botanic Gardens were quiet and peaceful, and Portugal dos Pequenitos (a collection of miniature Portuguese houses, bits of famous buildings lumped together, and pavilions from the old empire) was very interesting and a bit crazy too. I am definitely going to go back there as a total tourist at some point, and have a more in-depth look around.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back