• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

A Little Jittery as I think ahead

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
This will be my 3rd leg of the Camino Frances. I am feeling exactly like I have every time, nervous I can’t do it, wondering if I will meet folks to share the experience, wondering if I have packed what I need for the weather…the usual stuff, and then the layer of anxiety around the world situation. I marvel at how these insecurities happen each time. I am flying from Canada to Bilbao on April 1,for a couple of days then will train or bus down to Burgos and start walking probably around the 6th. I will don my pack, my poles and my shoes and I will make the first step and I will breathe and say, “This is where I am meant to be!”

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This will be my 3rd leg of the Camino Frances. I am feeling exactly like I have every time, nervous I can’t do it, wondering if I will meet folks to share the experience, wondering if I have packed what I need for the weather…the usual stuff, and then the layer of anxiety around the world situation. I marvel at how these insecurities happen each time. I am flying from Canada to Bilbao on April 1,for a couple of days then will train or bus down to Burgos and start walking probably around the 6th. I will don my pack, my poles and my shoes and I will make the first step and I will breathe and say, “This is where I am meant to be!”
you said it ! Its just as it should be :) Buen Camino and keep on truckin :)

Samarkand.

Only one piece of advise, take a bus to Burgos from Bilbao. I don't even know if there is train but the Burgos train station is nowhere near the center of town.
I am going the opposite, Bilbao to Burgos. The train station is across the street from where I am staying. Thanks for the advise though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Trecile, 5 minutes versus 59 minutes. From the bus station walk out of the door to the left, turn right at the next corner and cross the main street. Voila.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am also from Canada as my name suggests, lol. I am curious. How do you get from Canada to Bilbao? I am guessing that there is not a direct flight. I have always flown from Toronto to London, England, then flown from London to Biarritz. From there, you can take a bus to Bayonne and catch a train from there to St Jean, or better yet as I learnt later on for my 2018 trip, there is an awesome van service that takes you direct from the airport on Biarritz to downtown St Jean for about 20 euros. But you are starting from Bilbao, not St Jean. I apologize. I am off topic. How do you get from Canada to Bilbao?

Thanks Trecile, 5 minutes versus 59 minutes. From the bus station walk out of the door to the left, turn right at the next corner and cross the main street. Voila.
Don, how long of a bus ride is it? How long of a train ride is it?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rome2Rio says bus is 1:45 and train is 2:39. When you buy your bus ticket make sure it is the bus that uses the Autovia.
One time I took a bus that was a local which stopped in a dozen little towns. The route was interesting and gave me an idea for a week long hike but I was never able to determine if the route is marked or set up to cater to pilgrims but I would say it is except for a very long barren hill climb at the end through a national preserve with no towns.

Yes, yes, yes. You brought a tear to my eye! We set off in early May to do the whole Frances, we did it in 2 halves in 2018-9. I feel all those things too. 💕

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am also from Canada as my name suggests, lol. I am curious. How do you get from Canada to Bilbao? I am guessing that there is not a direct flight. I have always flown from Toronto to London, England, then flown from London to Biarritz. From there, you can take a bus to Bayonne and catch a train from there to St Jean, or better yet as I learnt later on for my 2018 trip, there is an awesome van service that takes you direct from the airport on Biarritz to downtown St Jean for about 20 euros. But you are starting from Bilbao, not St Jean. I apologize. I am off topic. How do you get from Canada to Bilbao?
No problem for asking. I am doing leg three, Burgos to Santiago. I flew into Bilbao last time as well because I love the city and find it’s a good place to spend a day or two to adjust to jet lag. It is easy to get to where I need to be by train or bus. I fly direct Vancouver to Amsterdam. Then Amsterdam to Bilbao. I will catch a rain or bus down to Burgos and start walking. I always look at various options. I had considered flying to Lisbon or Porto then getting up to Spain via a hopper flight as they are usually very affordable. Hope that helps.

and then the layer of anxiety around the world situation. I marvel at how these insecurities happen each time.
This reality unfortunately for me makes all of my prior Camino anxieties pale in comparison.😐

The current situation, day to day, in Ukraine, is of real concern, but appears be the elephant in the room here on the Forum! @Wanderingfriend and @Camino Chrissy your concerns are not unique!

The war in Ukraine and its consequences concern the majority of US travelers are also impacting their travel plans to Europe, according to a recent survey by MMGY Travel Intelligence.

MMGY Travel Intelligence, MMGY Global’s research and insights division, surveyed hundreds of US travelers planning to visit Europe about the war to understand its impact on traveler sentiment and behavior.

According to the survey’s main findings:

– 62 percent of US travelers cite concerns about the war in Ukraine spreading to nearby countries as a factor impacting plans to travel to Europe, which is twice the number (31 percent) who cite Covid-19 health and safety concerns as a factor

– 47 percent of travelers want to wait and see how the situation in Ukraine evolves before making plans to visit Europe this year

– 50 percent of respondents are concerned about possible delays and cancellations of flights, trains and cruises, as well as the potential for border closures.

I am flying to Madrid on April 24th as of now! In preparation I have:

Registered with the state department this year regarding my travel plans
In the USA this is called The Smart Traveler EnrollmentProgram (free)

Been Flexible in my planning
Can change flights without extra cost. Used flight miles
All accommodation reservations can be canceled up to a week before without cost.

I have decided to carry more cash than I normally do Just in case there is any problem with the banking system while abroad? In addition, I will carry additional credit cards from different financial institutions.

I will stay in touch wth loved ones more frequently and follow world news daily.

Actually, I pray by the time we fly on April 24th, there is a ceasefire.

No problem for asking. I am doing leg three, Burgos to Santiago. I flew into Bilbao last time as well because I love the city and find it’s a good place to spend a day or two to adjust to jet lag. It is easy to get to where I need to be by train or bus. I fly direct Vancouver to Amsterdam. Then Amsterdam to Bilbao. I will catch a rain or bus down to Burgos and start walking. I always look at various options. I had considered flying to Lisbon or Porto then getting up to Spain via a hopper flight as they are usually very affordable. Hope that helps.
I had never thought of flying into Amsterdam. This helps a lot. I have flown into St Jean twice, and into Madrid twice. This sounds very interesting and I am definitely going to look into it. I am really glad that you mentioned it.

How do you get back to Canada from Santiago? I have flown from Santiago to London, flown Santiago to Madrid, and once (and never, ever again), took the bus from Santiago to Madrid. Then each time flown back to Toronto.

Putin cannot hold me back. I am going, March 29th, leaving Pamplona on my feet on the 30th, my 68th birthday. Leaving this miserable world for the peace of the Camino for 45+ days. Only 2 weeks to wait now. No return ticket: I finish when I finish. The blessing of retirement.

Last edited:
Oh man,. You just describe exactly my feelings, trying my first try at 72 for the Camino ,flying from Toronto/Paris/Bayonne, On April 24th,..cab/train/bus ride to SJPP, will start walking on April 27th. Please pass it on if something still remains in your possession `“ this is where I am meant to be “ …. I will take it, will treat you for a glass of wine too. Cheers! Buen Camino.

Tim the Fat Canuck !
Van ride is only if there are minimum of 5 passengers , otherwise it is 96 EUROS they told me by email , because they don`t have any other reservation for the van ride for April 25th at Biarritz/Bayonne . Buen Camino !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And the walk out of Burgos to Hornillos or Hontanas is one the very best stages of the whole CF! Relax and enjoy!

(Be sure to visit the hidden square where The Way filmed the gypsy bonfire party!)
You did not mention , about where is the spot where THE WAY scene was shot? Buen Camino .

The current situation, day to day, in Ukraine, is of real concern, but appears be the elephant in the room here on the Forum! @Wanderingfriend and @Camino Chrissy your concerns are not unique!

The war in Ukraine and its consequences concern the majority of US travelers are also impacting their travel plans to Europe, according to a recent survey by MMGY Travel Intelligence.

MMGY Travel Intelligence, MMGY Global’s research and insights division, surveyed hundreds of US travelers planning to visit Europe about the war to understand its impact on traveler sentiment and behavior.

According to the survey’s main findings:

– 62 percent of US travelers cite concerns about the war in Ukraine spreading to nearby countries as a factor impacting plans to travel to Europe, which is twice the number (31 percent) who cite Covid-19 health and safety concerns as a factor

– 47 percent of travelers want to wait and see how the situation in Ukraine evolves before making plans to visit Europe this year

– 50 percent of respondents are concerned about possible delays and cancellations of flights, trains and cruises, as well as the potential for border closures.

I am flying to Madrid on April 24th as of now! In preparation I have:

Registered with the state department this year regarding my travel plans
In the USA this is called The Smart Traveler EnrollmentProgram (free)

Been Flexible in my planning
Can change flights without extra cost. Used flight miles
All accommodation reservations can be canceled up to a week before without cost.

I have decided to carry more cash than I normally do Just in case there is any problem with the banking system while abroad? In addition, I will carry additional credit cards from different financial institutions.

I will stay in touch wth loved ones more frequently and follow world news daily.

Actually, I pray by the time we fly on April 24th, there is a ceasefire.
Thank you for this. I have been surprised by how few are talking about this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How do you get back to Canada from Santiago? I have flown from Santiago to London, flown Santiago to Madrid, and once (and never, ever again), took the bus from Santiago to Madrid. Then each time flown back to Toronto.
I haven’t made it to Santiago yet. I have just done segments. I was injured in Leon, so took the train to Madrid and flew home from there. I only had a one way ticket.

I had never thought of flying into Amsterdam. This helps a lot. I have flown into St Jean twice, and into Madrid twice. This sounds very interesting and I am definitely going to look into it. I am really glad that you mentioned it.
I really like flying into Bilbao because it’s a smaller place to maneuver. I have both times stayed two days there to adjust to the time change. From Bilbao you can get to most places with train or bus.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Tim the Fat Canuck !
Van ride is only if there are minimum of 5 passengers , otherwise it is 96 EUROS they told me by email , because they don`t have any other reservation for the van ride for April 25th at Biarritz/Bayonne . Buen Camino !
The van was full when I took it. Three of us had reservations and two more people jumped aboard at the airport once they found out that the van was 22 euros and drove straight to SJ. April 25th is 5 weeks away so if I were you, I would check back with them in a couple of weeks.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Buen Camino! I'm doing the same tomorrow (March 19) to Burgos. My leg is 200km, then a ride to SdC for couple days. I'm nervous because of all the COVID hoo-ha we have to navigate. Other than that I'm excited. Seems this is the main thing I venture out to do on my own. Hubbie will mind the pup at home. Perhaps we'll pass on the way, as I'm a slow walker. Chao!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tim the Fat Canuck !
I'm from Canada. Leaving tomorrow via KLM, from Calgary to Amsterdam, there a 6 hr. flight delay and then on to Bilbao. At Bilbao I'll catch a bus to Burgos where I start. Buen Camino!

Buen Camino! I'm doing the same tomorrow (March 19) to Burgos. My leg is 200km, then a ride to SdC for couple days. I'm nervous because of all the COVID hoo-ha we have to navigate. Other than that I'm excited. Seems this is the main thing I venture out to do on my own. Hubbie will mind the pup at home. Perhaps we'll pass on the way, as I'm a slow walker. Chao!
I hope we cross paths Wendy. I was walking in Sept. 2021 and the covid pieces were of little consequence while walking.

Delta says I need a COVID test (Ramp, NAAT, or PCR) for return trip home in April. Ugh. Was so hoping our government will lift this soon. I noticed on the KLM website (partner to Delta) is indicating different story. Welcome new information!

Yup! I just saw it on the Gov't of Canada website! Thank you. I return on April 3rd, so I'm safe 'cause I've had 3 shots. Now fingers crossed the new Omnicron Variant virus doesn't cause additional havoc.
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm from Canada. Leaving tomorrow via KLM, from Calgary to Amsterdam, there a 6 hr. flight delay and then on to Bilbao. At Bilbao I'll catch a bus to Burgos where I start. Buen Camino!
Buen Camino Wendy, stay well and positive , Cheers ! 🇨🇦

The van was full when I took it. Three of us had reservations and two more people jumped aboard at the airport once they found out that the van was 22 euros and drove straight to SJ. April 25th is 5 weeks away so if I were you, I would check back with them in a couple of weeks.
Thanks Tim,.. I will start checking 2/3 weeks before April 24th. Buen Camino !

I have had thoughts about the current situation as I leave home April 14th and begin my walk on April 19. But I have decided that if things escalate while I am walking and I cannot continue, then I will remove my Camino Hat and don my Volunteer Hat. It's a simple decision for me, but I have done Volunteer work (of various degrees) most of my life. I completely understand the concern about not being able to get home and finding yourself in the middle of a crisis, but this is where the thought "this is where I am meant to be" takes on a whole new meaning.

I have had thoughts about the current situation as I leave home April 14th and begin my walk on April 19. But I have decided that if things escalate while I am walking and I cannot continue, then I will remove my Camino Hat and don my Volunteer Hat. It's a simple decision for me, but I have done Volunteer work (of various degrees) most of my life. I completely understand the concern about not being able to get home and finding yourself in the middle of a crisis, but this is where the thought "this is where I am meant to be" takes on a whole new meaning.
What a beautiful posture. Perhaps I will be there volunteering too!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This year will also be my third Camino frances and like yourself also fill nervous, not only because the walk itself, but not being like a spring chicken back on my first Camino back in 2010, when i was a young 65, but being more nervous because my age will be the big double 7 but it's only a number, and will return and just walk and walk till i drop, but deep down I hope not, any out there who want to do the Camino but are concerned about there age, I say go for It, it's a memory that will stay with you forever Buen Camino to all

Hi ya~ First of all "Buen Camino!" I too will be beginning my 3rd leg starting at Burgos. I am going to do it in September with all worldly matters cooperating that is.... I was delighted in learning that you will fly into Bilbao, as I was thinking Madrid but I really like your idea so much more. I too am flying solo from Canada and will definitely feel the jitters but in a positive "Yes, I've Got This!!" kind of way. Totally normal to feel as you do but once following the arrows.....the magic begins! Best Wishes my friend:)

Hi ya~ First of all "Buen Camino!" I too will be beginning my 3rd leg starting at Burgos. I am going to do it in September with all worldly matters cooperating that is.... I was delighted in learning that you will fly into Bilbao, as I was thinking Madrid but I really like your idea so much more. I too am flying solo from Canada and will definitely feel the jitters but in a positive "Yes, I've Got This!!" kind of way. Totally normal to feel as you do but once following the arrows.....the magic begins! Best Wishes my friend:)
Dear Blanco, what a sweet note. Thank you. I love Bilbao for a rest between travel and walking. Once you are in the Old Town, no need for metro or to figure out much, just beautiful walks in tree lined areas, great food and wine!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Back