• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A little quiz

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
For a bit of fun:

Do you know, or can you guess, which are the SIX most popular starting points for the Camino Francés (based on 2019 whole-year pilgrim office statistics)?

Three or four are fairly obvious, of course, but there are a few contenders for the last couple of spots. Can you guess all six? Bonus point if you list them correctly in order of their popularity!

The answer is in the spoiler below, but don't look until you've posted!!

1. Sarria (50.7%)
2. Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (17.5%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

I found these statistics quite interesting so I wrote a blog post about the pros and cons of these six starting points.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
SJPDP
Sarria
Roncesvalle
Pamplona
Burgos
Leon

These were the six that I had in mind before I looked it up, but no.

Hint: there are two starting points in the top six that are closer to Santiago than a couple of these ones. @SabineP is on the right track but not quite there ;)

Without looking it up, I would think that O Cebreiro is among the top six starting points for the Camino Frances.

Sarria is number 1, I am pretty certain of that. Only about a quarter start from SJPP I think, so it would be neither number 1 nor 2. Roncesvalles may be not among the top six.

I hope someone guesses it soon!!! I'm so tempted to look it up ... 😇

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting if you look at all of the routes Tui comes in pretty close to Sarria for people who want to opt for a short Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How many did @sabine get right, 4 or 5? If it is not these six starting points, then I am going to look them up! I am not going to tell, of course ...

Sarria
O Cebreiro
Leon
SJPP
Ponferrada
Burgos
She got 5 right ... and so did you.

Getting there! (This is even more fun than I thought it would be!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I worked it out from previous posts ... but I won't spoil the fun.
Interesting if you look at all of the routes Tui comes in pretty close to Sarria for people who want to opt for a short Camino,
According to the 2019 data from the pilgrims office, Porto and Tui (in that order) were the third and fourth most popular starting points for all pilgrims arriving in Santiago.

I was a little surprised to see them ahead of all but two places on the CF, but when you consider the huge proportion of pilgrims who start in Sarria, I guess it makes sense.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting! I got 4 out of 6, but not necessarily in correct order. Of the two I missed, the less obvious one I almost included, and the other is so obvious it should have hit me me the face. But I never even thought of it. 😂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is maddening ... I haven't looked yet ... so with the help of an old envelope, I've come to the following conclusion. If both @SabineP and I got only one wrong, then the following are included among the top six starting points of the CF because otherwise we would have 7 correct answers:

Sarria
SJPP
Leon
Ponferrada

I need a cup of tea before I can wrap my mind around the other two. 🙃

Last edited:
@SabineP and @jungleboy, does your 😍 mean that I am on the right track?

So ... as @SabineP and I got only one wrong, one of these - Roncesvalles or Astorga - and one of these - O Cebreiro or Burgos - must be among the top six, right?

And there are @Bala and @trecile who got 4 out of 6 ... the plot thickens ...

Last edited:
I'm not surprised to find Sarria at the top, but the absence of Irun/Hendaye - that was a revelation.
Take care everyone

My final offer (arbitrary sequence):

Sarria
SJPP
Leon
Ponferrada
O Cebreiro
Roncesvalles
To spare anyone else from the emotional torture that you have been through 🤣 , I will announce that this is the correct answer! Well done and you can relax now! In terms of the order it's almost correct too; Ponferrada and O Cebreiro are switched.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To spare anyone else from the emotional torture that you have been through 🤣 , I will announce that this is the correct answer! Well done and you can relax now! In terms of the order it's almost correct too; Ponferrada and O Cebreiro are switched.
THANK YOU :D. The worst was not giving in to the temptation to look it up 🤣.

I guess the list refers to 2019? As soon as the data for October 2020 are out, I'm going to add up a few numbers for this year. And yep, I could think of better things to do. 🤣

THANK YOU :D. The worst was not giving in to the temptation to look it up 🤣.

I guess the list refers to 2019? As soon as the data for October 2020 are out, I'm going to add up a few numbers for this year. And yep, I could think of better things to do. 🤣
Congratulations! I had the wrong “P” city....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For a bit of fun:

Do you know, or can you guess, which are the SIX most popular starting points for the Camino Francés (based on 2019 whole-year pilgrim office statistics)?

Three or four are fairly obvious, of course, but there are a few contenders for the last couple of spots. Can you guess all six? Bonus point if you list them correctly in order of their popularity!

1. Sarria (50.7%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

I found these statistics quite interesting so I wrote a blog post about the pros and cons of these six starting points.
Sarria
Roncasvalles
Saint-Jean-Pied=de-Port
Astorga
Leon
Pamplona

Wow! I got 5 but had in Pamplona instead of O'Cebreiro. I had met many people from all the others but not Cebreiro! How interesting.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm not surprised to find Sarria at the top, but the absence of Irun/Hendaye - that was a revelation.
That's because the quiz asks

For a bit of fun:

1. Sarria (50.7%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

1. Sarria, 2. Burgos, 3. Sahagún, 4. St Jean Pied de Port, 5. Léon, 6.Pamplona

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My guess, not necessarily in order:
Sarria
SJPP
Roncesvalles
Pamplona
Leon
O Cebreiro

After seeing the answer: I got 5/6. My answer seems to have been coloured by the accounts I have read, which tend to be weighted towards those who have walked further.

I, too, found it surprising that Ponferrada is more popular than Pamplona as a starting point. Of the six most popular, Sarria and SJPP really stick out. And @SabineP wasn't so far off with Astorga on place 7.

View attachment 86738

I thought from the perspective from the Spaniards. I believe they still are the highest percentage of pilgrims. Makes sense they walk parts of a Camino so therefore starting in Ponferrada or Astorga would be very feasible for them to walk " in a normal holiday".
Also makes sense that Spaniards would start in Roncesvalles and not go into trouble of using a taxi or bus to get to Saint Jean.
Burgos , I believe, is for many people not such an interesting city to start. There is still that weird idea that the meseta is " boring ". Not to me though...I love it!

Also makes sense that Spaniards would start in Roncesvalles and not go into trouble of using a taxi or bus to get to Saint Jean.
When I did my first Camino I was living in Spain. I started in Roncesvalles because that's where my Spanish neighbors told me it started. Even today, when you walk between the statues just before Sahagun marking the "geographical centre of the Camino de Santiago" and get your half-way certificate in Sahagun, you aren't marking the mid-point between SJPP and Santiago but between Roncesvalles and Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For a bit of fun:

1. Sarria (50.7%)
3. León (5.6%)
4. O Cebreiro (4.4%)
5. Ponferrada (3.6%)
6. Roncesvalles (2.6%)

My first six answers were:
Sarria (No 1) followed in no particular order by:
St Jean Pied de Port
Logroño
Burgos
Leon
Pamplona

(though having seen other answers, perhaps the last one should have been replaced by Roncesvalles)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back