• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A little R&R on the Trail

Gwaihir

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Nijmegen-Fisterra
2022: Trans-European Trail
This goes for anybody who walks long distances, so not just the camino francés but any camino, including the one I'm doing now (Holland-Belgium-France-Spain).

I've been walking for two months and sometimes I get a bit tired of it. Not that I can't walk furher (I can), but it's just...walking. I'm in a sort of "grind" and need to reset my brain for a bit.

I thought about options - taking the train somewhere and then coming back. But I wouldn't know where to go, I am already walking in the direction of things that I find interesting. Switzerland would be cool but too expensive (living on a budget).

Can you give any R&R tips for this kind of mood? What do you do then walking starts to become a daily grind?

Cheers,
Gwaihir

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find a place where Tinkers are not unwelcome and I stay there for a bit. I’ll find work or some service I can offer or I’ll just spend some treasure and then I’ll move on.
Never stopping, always a new day a new view a new place at the end of the day- well that’s the same as “it’s always the same [] day man” as Janis Joplin put it so succinctly. So, stop doing “groundhog”, stop. Stop and look over your shoulder. Stop and take a proper look at what is in front of you instead of always storming towards it. Wherever you are tonight there is someone not far away that could benefit from your energy and commitment and drive- and if you don’t have the energy for that keep walking to Santiago. It will all balance out one day just like the universe does.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Haha you guys make my day.

Why didn't I think of kayaking?...
I can't find a river Arnoux in France, do you mean the Durance near Chateau-Arnoux-St Auban or somewhere else entirely?

I like that very much and am suddenly having dozens of ideas that were really obvious. I like those normally but for some reason did not occur to me... like gliding (sailplane), other flying devices.

The idea of bungee jumping always gave me the creeps but on the Camino somehow I feel like I could do it.

Brilliant reference to Janice Joplin, thank you very much and you are right, I need to stop doing groundhog day. I saw a "WOOF"ing farm a while ago but figured you had to sign up.

Going to keep my eyes open!

Those are seriously wise words by @Tincatinker if you ask me. I did 40k in one day (that's my record) and I was OK although tired but I also did "only" 6k one day and 8k on another Camino. Why? I just felt that way. Absolutely no regrets.

Stop, listen, watch, taste, sleep, read, enjoy... If the world would come to its end does it really matter what you do in that moment? Better do something your heart is telling you to do ;)

And if I may use few more wise words from late Janis: "Freeedom is just another word for nothing left to loose." and that's why you went on Camino. Didn't you?

I'm not in a hurry. A while ago here on the forum I was complaining about being compared with the fast walkers, so yeah ;)

My farthest day is 42k but I almost never do that. And sometimes just 15k. But still, the scenery here is very much the same everyday - not complaning: pretty but still monotonous). The Morvan was a nice break.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But still, the scenery here is very much the same everyday - not complaning: pretty but still monotonous).
So is your inner self. Doesn't change 100% over night does it? Just slowly progressing each day (hopefully ;) )

Bon Chemin!

What do you do then walking starts to become a daily grind?
I learn to live with boredom.

Don't try to fix the outside, or arrange things to avoid feeling...change the mind and heart instead.
If you keep giving in to boredom by finding an entertaining distraction, it will push you around forever.
There are a 1000 wonders underfoot and all around you, and once you begin to see them, then the boredom will go away for good.

Haha you guys make my day.

Why didn't I think of kayaking?...
I can't find a river Arnoux in France, do you mean the Durance near Chateau-Arnoux-St Auban or somewhere else entirely?

I like that very much and am suddenly having dozens of ideas that were really obvious. I like those normally but for some reason did not occur to me... like gliding (sailplane), other flying devices.

The idea of bungee jumping always gave me the creeps but on the Camino somehow I feel like I could do it.

Brilliant reference to Janice Joplin, thank you very much and you are right, I need to stop doing groundhog day. I saw a "WOOF"ing farm a while ago but figured you had to sign up.

Going to keep my eyes open!

A bit from the east from Issy l'Eveque where you were last, the Arroux (double r, my bad) is a river that flows south into the Loire. Toulon-sur-Arroux is 15 kms from Issy. On the river it would be +30 kms to La Motte St Jean where the Arroux flows into the Loire.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mentioning Janis Joplin by Tinca and me I came to idea that you might find something similar along your Camino. Like Beth Hart for example (I always ask myself who's the the first lady of blues here???):

Great! I'll check out the river. I'm hoping to also sleep in a monastery soon so that might mix things up a bit.

@VNwalking I get what you're saying, and this is true - although sometimes when you glance in a different direction, you suddenly see things from a different perspective when you look back :)

@KinkyOne haha I do change fast but not that fast!

If I walked like that I'd probably stop to volunteer somewhere for a bit, then resumed the journey. Or found some great people on Couchsurfing to stay with or hang out with for a while. These 2 things have been constant in my life for years and they've always been truly inspirational and filled me with zest for life. And talking to people who haven't walked their Camino yet could be really transformational for someone, so share your joy and boredom with the wider community :) And they might also take you to local places or venues you'd never think of visiting while walking your way. And Bom Caminho! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess the activity depends on how long a break you want to take. I have never taken a long break even when I walked for almost 3 months once. What I have recently discovered is I have found the best break days have been when I stumble across a really mellow and friendly Albergue. One that has a nice garden or backyard area to sit and relax in. Often times it is an albergue that has a few people working there and living there. Maybe I have just been lucky and when I have asked if I can stay an extra day in a place like this they always say yes. They do not ask me to leave when they are cleaning up. I always ask if I can help, of course. These days have always turned out to be the best rest days for me and the better memories than taking a day off in a big city. I am on a budget too. It is a great and economical way of rejuvenating the body and resting the mind and spirit.

I learn to live with boredom.

Don't try to fix the outside, or arrange things to avoid feeling...change the mind and heart instead.
If you keep giving in to boredom by finding an entertaining distraction, it will push you around forever.
There are a 1000 wonders underfoot and all around you, and once you begin to see them, then the boredom will go away for good.
Your words are so true. When my older daughter was about a year old and we would walk in the woods or just about anywhere I would discover the world that she saw that was so much slower and so close to the ground. She would point things out to daddy all the time. Things I would have never of seen walking alone. It was so cool to discover that and so wonderful to share it with the love of my life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I checked kayaks from Digoin but they're all going the wrong way ^^. I didn't think about the direction the river was flowing in... both the Loire and the Allier are going direction Nevers :-/ I'd rather not walk back.

Edited on Wednesday: ended up sleeping in Abbaye de Sept Fons (highly, highly recommend it: it's a donativo and really intense experience). Took the train to Paray-le-Monial, staying here in an affordable hotel with wifi, so I can check nearby Wwoof & Workaway addresses!

Last edited:
Ok the boredom is over :)

After Saint-Leon the landscape changed dramatically, less like the Alliers and more like the Auvergne, and I was constantly going "wow!" "holy ***"

Yesterday walking through the peaks near Chabreloche I could see the vulcanos of the Auvergne, awesome sight... I camped in my tent which was extremely cold (tent frozen in the morning!). Still worth it though.

Now in Clermont-Ferrand (took the bus and then train from Chabreloche, on the other end of the plateau between the national parks). Staying here to relax and then I'm moving on to the Via Alvernha (Clermont-Rocamadour-Cahors).

This goes for anybody who walks long distances, so not just the camino francés but any camino, including the one I'm doing now (Holland-Belgium-France-Spain).

I've been walking for two months and sometimes I get a bit tired of it. Not that I can't walk furher (I can), but it's just...walking. I'm in a sort of "grind" and need to reset my brain for a bit.

I thought about options - taking the train somewhere and then coming back. But I wouldn't know where to go, I am already walking in the direction of things that I find interesting. Switzerland would be cool but too expensive (living on a budget).

Can you give any R&R tips for this kind of mood? What do you do then walking starts to become a daily grind?

Cheers,
Gwaihir

We once flew in and out of Rome from Spain.
I think the ticket was only around 30 euros.
I had a bad cold and needed to get to some sunny weather.
It was a nice break.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like Beth Hart for example (I always ask myself who's the the first lady of blues here???):

Thanks Kinky, that certainly cheered me up! (A Blues fan.)

R&R from R&R?
You are kidding, right? If walking the Camino has become a grind, a boring exercise, I suggest simply going home.

wow RJM, apparently you have a very exciting life ;-)

thank you for the suggestion but everybody is different.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
wow RJM, apparently you have a very exciting life ;-)

thank you for the suggestion but everybody is different.

Yes, done some cool things in my 40+ years and have been to some cool places. No regrets/complaints even when things got scary and shitty, but for sure walking the Camino, any Camino path is quite the nice holiday. Good R&R. Waaaaay better than actually having to go and work for a living. :D

well that's good, same here! ;) if you walk 2500+ km you're gonna have moments of boredom. At least I do, no reason to go home (or suggest I go home!). Anyway, as I described in my last post, the boredom has since evaporated!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back