• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A little tricky after Alcala

peregrina2000

Staff member
I want to write this up while it is fresh in my mind. About 7 km after leaving Alcala, most of which is on wonderful dirt roads through olive groves, you leave the dirt road at the first picture, where the arrow takes you to the right and down. Your first little challenge is to go through the rocky water-filled culvert under the highway.(second pic). Next comes some careful navigating on the right side, where there are a few inches of slanted mud for your feet. Then I stood for a while to try to figure how to maneuver the drop and stream crossing. At that point I retraced my steps back to the wide track which deposits you on the National highway. But there was no other obvious way to get across the stream that went under the highway. So back I went for another try. When I got to the drop, I took off my pack, put down my poles and sat down. My dangling feet were about 3’ above the ground so it wasn’t a big drop, but I didn’t want to do it with my pack. My balance and agility are bad enough without those kilos hanging behind me.

The third picture is the drop looking back. I went down on the left side of the picture. You can see there is a raised rock of some kind on the bottom right in front which might have been an easier way to go.

All was fine, and after a little scramble up the other side i was on another dirt road through olive groves.

If you absolutely can’t do it (and if the water had been higher it would’ve been much harder) you can stay on the highway shoulder till you reconnect with the camino at the road sign in the last picture.

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• C7F6756A-1419-42BD-8AA3-1F4C91230AC4.jpeg
    C7F6756A-1419-42BD-8AA3-1F4C91230AC4.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 60
  • 2612A051-4E3C-4787-B6DF-D4F7D926A5D6.jpeg
    2612A051-4E3C-4787-B6DF-D4F7D926A5D6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
  • B9714CAD-54E9-4C71-A050-DD2C3BD119C1.jpeg
    B9714CAD-54E9-4C71-A050-DD2C3BD119C1.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 62
  • AED4E860-FFF9-49E3-901F-707D3F679DE6.jpeg
    AED4E860-FFF9-49E3-901F-707D3F679DE6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh Laurie, I am reliving my walk with you! I remember that spot, in fact I missed the arrow by the "tunnel" and continued straight until I realized that I must have done wrong and walked back until that spot. The arrow was hidden by a bush! As it was dry, I could just walk under the tunnel and continue.

To think of it, I got lost on several occasions those first fews days out from Granada which was a bit frustrating being alone. I could only blame myself!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back