• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Long Ride

Leopold

Time of past OR future Camino
Nill
Folks,
I am putting together what is now becoming "my.Camino", starting on the 16 Sept 2015, very soon.

Stage_1, a 2oookm cycle journey from Austria over the Alps and down Italy's Adriatic coast to end in Santa Maria di Leuca within Italy's heel, approx 4weeks. Fixed in place.

Stage_2, to date, with the assistance of ideas from helpful people and my thoughts, I will exit Italy by flight from Brindisi to Biarritz, train/bus to St Jean-Pied-de-Port on/about 20 Oct 2014, to collect a cycle delivered from Lisbon (www.bikeiberia.com). I will then cycle to Oloron Ste Marie for it is here I wish to start this second stage of my journey. I will cycle to Jaca via the Somport Pass thence to Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia and back to Santiagofor a wee stop, say 3weeks.

Stage_3, will have me continuing to Lisbon, Portugal, again by cycle (end of Camino.) thence the Lisbon-Paris express to Paris for my connecting flight home, say 2weeks to Lisbon. I have 3mths or more.

At this juncture, I have little on the Portuguese Camino, though I am reading/researching.

Question_1; Any thoughts/Ideas on the hire of a cycle from Lisbon - delivery to St Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Question_2; Does anyone have ideas/thoughts to brighten what is to be a solo journey.?
Note, I'll be late in the season for Spain and Portugal.?

Question_3; Any other thoughts.

Regards
Leopold

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wow, Leopold, that's quite an itinerary! I'm a walker so I can't give you any cycle-specific information, but you're right that the traffic on the Camino Frances will have dropped quite a bit by late October.

The most up to date and comprehensive accommodation list on Lisbon to Santiago is, in my experience, on the Via Lusitana website. http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

The Confraternity of St. James also has two online guidebooks, for Lisbon-Porto and Porto-Santiago. http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm Though geared more to walkers, they may have some helpful information.

If you look through the Camino Portugues posts on this forum, you'll probably find some information that will be of help. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-portugues.13/

It looks like you'll be going Santiago--Lisbon in November. I have spent two Novembers in Lisbon -- one was sunny and wonderful, one was rainy, grey and depressing. Unfortunately you won't be able to pick. But the Portuguese people are wonderful, and the Caminho goes through some very interesting out of the way places. So I think that no matter what the weather, you'll have a good trip to Lisbon.

My last thought -- please have a bell and use it. There is nothing more disconcerting to a walker to vaguely be aware of a sound behind without knowing what it is. A reflexive move to one side of the path or another might be the wrong direction -- I have been involved in, and have seen, a number of not very happy incidents involving roughly those components.

Wishing you a wonderful trip, and there are lots of people on the forum who have walked the Caminho from Lisbon to Santiago, so you can get lots of answers if you have specific questions.

HI Leopold,
Being both a biker and a hiker, I envy your trip. The upside to the bike is that you get to cover a lot more territory in much less time. The downside, to me, is that on the bike, especially trail riding, your are "solo" no matter how many friends are along. When hiking, the ability to chat while walking is so much one of the highlights of the Camino. So, try to combine the best of both by stopping often and making connections/friends with the walkers since there will be so many more of them than fellow bikers. The advice from Peregrina2000 re: the bell is spot on. In addition, when overtaking walkers, I will always give an "On your left" or "on your right" verbally when in hearing range. Bikers and hikers should be friends, but bad manners on either's part can make that difficult.

All the best,
Pilgrim Farmer John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back