• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Memorable Lunch with a Local

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
We met him just before lunch time, a few kilometres before O Predrouzo.
Pat and I had just been walking for a couple of hours after a late start.

It was one of those cool drizzly Galician days, when you almost feel like you are walking through a rain forest. A rather cool rain forest.

Alejandro was sitting beside the path just watching the Pilgrims walk past. Well not quite on the path, but set back a couple of metres into a field that looked newly ploughed.

We saw him from about 50 metres away and immediately made eye contact.

He had one of those faces that you instantly warm to. You know what I mean? You just know he's going to be an interesting and warm natured character. You can tell, just from the look of him. First impressions I guess. I was curious and knew that we would stop to say Hi... We just had to.

Alejandro was born on the farm. We could see the buildings on the other side of the field. In fact he had lived all his life on the farm. And probably hadn't ventured very far from it, such is the way with many of those who are born on the land and feel part of it too. He certainly looked part of the land today, with mud caked halfway up his legs.

I wondered what he had been doing in the field as there was no sign of equipment or anyone else.

We sat with Alejandro a while on a grassy bank, and even though communication was not easy, we immediately relaxed in each others company. He was one of those souls that you just enjoyed being around. He made you smile....... a lot.

As it was nearing lunch time we were feeling a bit peckish and so broke out a few snacks for lunch. Alejandro's eyes seemed to light up as the 'picnic' starting appearing from our packs. I rather got the impression this was not the first time that he had picnicked with Pilgrims ;)

We managed to assemble some bread. salami, and an egg and bacon roll made from some of our breakfast and some fruit. It would make a reasonable picnic.

The Salami proved to be the most popular!

As we snacked, every few minutes other Pilgrims would pass, and we would glance at them, and they would glance at us, probably wondering what this unlikely looking group was doing sitting at the edge of a field having a picnic.

It came time to go. And there was almost a sadness in Alejandro's eyes as we started to pack up and bid our farewells. Those fleeting but very intense meetings along the way would be familiar to you, but they normally take place amongst Pilgrims don't they?

We made our farewells and even hugged, before setting off along the path.

Pat was very quiet and I knew what she was thinking...........

After only 50 metres, she looked at me and said "Can't he come with us"? Absolutely not I replied, and explained why it was a really really bad idea............

And then as we glanced back, we smiled, as we noticed he was just in the process of making some new friends, who were starting to reach into their packs................

I think this was his 'game'........ Befriending Pilgrims for a Free Lunch.

Which was not hard for him to pull off, as Alejandro was the cutest little dog you have ever seen.

Kind of like a mini Labrador with a red coat......

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

It was one of those cool drizzly Galician days, when you almost feel like you are walking through a rain forest. A rather cool rain forest.

Alejandro was sitting beside the path just watching the Pilgrims walk past. Well not quite on the path, but set back a couple of metres into a field that looked newly ploughed.

He had one of those faces that you instantly warm to. You know what I mean? You just know he's going to be an interesting and warm natured character. You can tell, just from the look of him. First impressions I guess. I was curious and knew that we would stop to say Hi... We just had to.

Alejandro was born on the farm. We could see the buildings on the other side of the field. In fact he had lived all his life on the farm. And probably hadn't ventured very far from it, such is the way with many of those who are born on the land and feel part of it too. He certainly looked part of the land today, with mud caked halfway up his legs.

I wondered what he had been doing in the field as there was no sign of equipment or anyone else.

We sat with Alejandro a while on a grassy bank, and even though communication was not easy, we immediately relaxed in each others company. He was one of those souls that you just enjoyed being around. He made you smile....... a lot.

As it was nearing lunch time we were feeling a bit peckish and so broke out a few snacks for lunch. Alejandro's eyes seemed to light up as the 'picnic' starting appearing from our packs. I rather got the impression this was not the first time that he had picnicked with Pilgrims ;)

We managed to assemble some bread. salami, and an egg and bacon roll made from some of our breakfast and some fruit. It would make a reasonable picnic.

As we snacked, every few minutes other Pilgrims would pass, and we would glance at them, and they would glance at us, probably wondering what this unlikely looking group was doing sitting at the edge of a field having a picnic.

It came time to go. And there was almost a sadness in Alejandro's eyes as we started to pack up and bid our farewells. Those fleeting but very intense meetings along the way would be familiar to you, but they normally take place amongst Pilgrims don't they?

After only 50 metres, she looked at me and said "Can't he come with us"? Absolutely not I replied, and explained why it was a really really bad idea............

And then as we glanced back, we smiled, as we noticed he was just in the process of making some new friends, who were starting to reach into their packs................

Which was not hard for him to pull off, as Alejandro was the cutest little dog you have ever seen.

Great storytelling, Rob; I enjoyed it. Makes me antsy to go back; September needs to hurry up and get here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You just gave me my first smile for the day . . . . Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nice story Robo, it made me chuckle, nice start to my day. Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In this case, I must say (sorry) that this commnet is considered offensive in Spain and especially in rural Galicia.

Sorry I don’t understand. The story is about a dog called Alejandro. Why is that offensive?

If it is offensive in any way, would the mods please delete the thread...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are a GREAT storyteller, Robo! And this story is GREAT, too!
Congratulation! ;):)

You had me 'hook line and sinker" there Robo.As a dog lover I loved the story even more. Your skill takes me back to the old storytelers of my youth ,so many years ago in the little village in Ireland I came from.You must have some Irish blood in you.Thank You.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You had me 'hook line and sinker" there Robo.As a dog lover I loved the story even more. Your skill takes me back to the old storytelers of my youth ,so many years ago in the little village in Ireland I came from.You must have some Irish blood in you.Thank You.

A long Irish blood line :rolleyes:

Thank you for not inducing Alejandro to follow you. He would have you know, all the way into Santiago. Once a dog adopts YOU, you are part of the pack.

In my experience, too many pilgrims fail to understand this and simply abandon these now lost and disoriented animals in the city of Santiago. Finding a no-kill shelter is like pulling teeth. There is one that we use for this misdirected activity.

PLEASE do not allow any animal to adopt you and follow you on your Camino...no matter how cute they are.

Thank you for not inducing Alejandro to follow you. He would have you know, all the way into Santiago. Once a dog adopts YOU, you are part of the pack.

In my experience, too many pilgrims fail to understand this and simply abandon these now lost and disoriented animals in the city of Santiago. Finding a no-kill shelter is like pulling teeth. There is one that we use for this misdirected activity.

PLEASE do not allow any animal to adopt you and follow you on your Camino...no matter how cute they are.

Very true @t2andreo. Thank you for stressing this.

It’s a real problem on the CF I understand. Two or three times we had to be very firm with dogs to make sure they did not follow us and to shoo them home.

So please Pilgrims, don’t let them follow you. They can get Lost, end up as strays, or worse still get abandoned in SDC. It happens, often, i’m Told.

Pat carried small amounts of cat food and dog food with her, but was always very careful to ensure the animals stayed where they were, no matter how ‘stray’ they might have looked. Of course she wanted to ‘adopt’ Alejandro, but realized he needed to stay right where he was..... and he did.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Loved your story @Robo , dogs on the Camino were always a highlight of the way and it's good to hear a positive experience rather then a stick waving rant. Mostly they are locals who follow you out of town then wag their tail and leave you once they get to their boundaries, although I wouldn't encourage feeding them as it encourages them to stray.

Once after recovering our dog from the pound and having to chain him up for a week while tried to figure out how he was escaping the back yard, we had a succession of visits from little old ladies who had missed his regular visits. One even brought bones she had saved and told us off for keeping him at home. We had to point out that feeding him was encouraging him to break out and put him at danger of the dog catcher and busy roads. As she couldn't have a dog at her retirement flat she became a regular visitor and would often come over and share her lunch with our dog.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.