• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A moment of thought for those having to postpone their plans.

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
We all get excited about our forthcoming Caminos. The anticipation is full of trepidation the first time and perhaps a little less for subsequent ones, but it is always there - What if I or a dear one fall ill or are injured? What if something happens while I am on the Camino to make me have to leave it earlier than I planned? etc. But for some those fears become reality. I would just like those of you who pray to include those less fortunate in their prayers and in particular one of our own valued members today who is visiting hospital for tests. Thanking you in advance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you from me too for those wonderful words. My husband just diagnosed with colon cancer, and having chemo for six months, so having to postpone camino completion.

My thoughts are with all those doing the Camino this year.

Thank you from me too for those wonderful words. My husband just diagnosed with colon cancer, and having chemo for six months, so having to postpone camino completion. My thoughts are with all those doing the Camino this year.
Lazaret-- Some years ago I made a promise to God to walk the Camino de Santiago in gratitude for my Brother's surviving Colon Cancer. His son accompanied me on the first portion and I am going back in June to finish it. I will pray and have your husband on my prayers along the Camino. Be sure of that.

Stay strong. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had to cancel doing the camino Portuguese last year as I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After surgery and chemotherapy I am ready to start again. I'm not as fit as I should be so may be only able to walk small distances but I'm mentally ready to walk again. My partner and I hope to start the camino Madrid on May 16th.

How thoughtful Al.
We are due to leave in 27 days and to be honest, I've just become a little nervous after being not-at-all nervous the first time (no doubt because it's the first time I've ever done anything on my own without hubby and because we're sending two kids off to India while I walk with the younger ones).....we have just said it's perhaps time to limit the risky activities that could result in broken bones!
Will offer prayers for those who are suffering the disappointment of not going, and for those who are fortunate to be going after postponement.

Thanks, that's what is happening here. All of last year I was so looking forward to 2014- walking and volunteering on the Camino and the closer it got to years end, I knew in my heart it wasn't going to happen. January this year was the most miserable month, wavering between am I or am I not going. Once I made the decision I wasn't going, it got easier.

I am needed here, helping with my mother in law who is 87 and ailing. It wouldn't feel right to be "helping" out in an albergue whilst there is work to be done here. My mind, and heart would not be on the Camino, it would forever be back home wondering what's going on. I would not be able to dis-engage as I did when I walked in 2012.

I enjoy reading about everyone who is walking now and who will be walking for the rest of the year, in a way, I can imagine walking beside them. So keep those blogs coming, I truly appreciate reading about all your adventures. Buen Camino a todos Ingrid

I had to cancel doing the camino Portuguese last year as I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After surgery and chemotherapy I am ready to start again. I'm not as fit as I should be so may be only able to walk small distances but I'm mentally ready to walk again. My partner and I hope to start the camino Madrid on May 16th.

Hi Sharondb,

IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET FURTHER THAN YOU HAD EVER IMAGINED , BY SIMPLY TAKING ONE STEP AT A TIME.
Far far better to.......................
LIVE YOUR DREAM , NOT DREAM YOUR LIFE.

GOOD ON YOU BOTH..................Keith.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, that's what is happening here. All of last year I was so looking forward to 2014- walking and volunteering on the Camino and the closer it got to years end, I knew in my heart it wasn't going to happen. January this year was the most miserable month, wavering between am I or am I not going. Once I made the decision I wasn't going, it got easier.

I am needed here, helping with my mother in law who is 87 and ailing. It wouldn't feel right to be "helping" out in an albergue whilst there is work to be done here. My mind, and heart would not be on the Camino, it would forever be back home wondering what's going on. I would not be able to dis-engage as I did when I walked in 2012.

I enjoy reading about everyone who is walking now and who will be walking for the rest of the year, in a way, I can imagine walking beside them. So keep those blogs coming, I truly appreciate reading about all your adventures. Buen Camino a todos Ingrid

Hello IngridF,

At this moment of time you have far more important priorities, as I see it you have only one priority. you must treat your family as you would wish to be treated yourself one day.
The Camino is going nowhere it will still be there another time and you WILL BE ON IT THEN.

Thanks to those of you who added your prayers. Our friend tells me that the results of the tests on the day were good, but the biopsies will take a couple of weeks. So keep praying? My condolences to those above who have had to cancel/postpone.
Ingrid, I empathise with your situation. My Mom will be 90 this July but fortunately in relatively good health (if anyone that age is) and of a good mind. Every time I plan my walk I do so with the hope that I can start and complete it. We have a very supportive family and neighbours to replace me whenever I am not around but it is always there in the mind. That is why I walk as much as I can now before it becomes no longer possible. I hope things work out well for you.

I have been trying to find an appropriate way to add my thoughts without sounding maudlin. Sorry if I fail in that attempt here, but it is truly heartfelt.

Thanks for this reminder that our enthusiasm and joy about being able to walk the Camino should come with a huge dose of empathy for those who share our yearning to walk but find themselves unable to forge ahead. I know how hard it must be to have to postpone or cancel. I am always very conscious of how lucky I am and how thankful I am when I walk a camino, and I will be thinking of those who want to be walking but aren't. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just for you Lazaret
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll
ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

Thank you Al. We both read it...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Al for this thread, and thank you to all of you for your prayers on Monday. I feel well again, the test result was good and we just have to wait for the biopsy results now (mid-April). Further prayer appreciated and we will be praying for others who have shared their needs here. :)

Thank you all for your prayers - the biopsy result is clear. Medication for a further 2 months, then we see if I can come off it.
Off to see the family, walk Offa's Dyke etc this year ; then 'next year in Santiago........ we trust
One small happy pebble on the beach (actually that is 2 as it includes Terry) praising God:):)
Have a blessed Easter folks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all for your prayers - the biopsy result is clear. Medication for a further 2 months, then we see if I can come off it.
Off to see the family, walk Offa's Dyke etc this year ; then 'next year in Santiago........ we trust
One small happy pebble on the beach (actually that is 2 as it includes Terry) praising God:):)
Have a blessed Easter folks

Hi Tia,

Look forward to possibly seeing you on Offas Dyke this year. When I return from VDLP I will walk it for my 7th time starting 25th July for 11 days. I live in Abergavenny, adopted Welsh from Torquay.

Croeso Cymru......................Keith.

Ditto here. Diagnosis in January, surgery in February, follow-up yet to come, May walk postponed until next year.

Ditto here. Diagnosis in January, surgery in February, follow-up yet to come, May walk postponed until next year.
Our prayers for you as you recover and for your Camino next year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We all get excited about our forthcoming Caminos. The anticipation is full of trepidation the first time and perhaps a little less for subsequent ones, but it is always there - What if I or a dear one fall ill or are injured? What if something happens while I am on the Camino to make me have to leave it earlier than I planned? etc. But for some those fears become reality. I would just like those of you who pray to include those less fortunate in their prayers and in particular one of our own valued members today who is visiting hospital for tests. Thanking you in advance.

A lovely thoughtful post Al.

A lovely thoughtful post Al.

all ready for my camino del norte on the 4th may. my wife joan got a late result from her yeary scans .to say there my be something new showing the 28th an 29th of april is goingto be a big ask afer all the tests for her. tough waiting but hope its only a scare

all ready for my camino del norte on the 4th may. my wife joan got a late result from her yeary scans .to say there my be something new showing the 28th an 29th of april is goingto be a big ask afer all the tests for her. tough waiting but hope its only a scare

Thinking of you. Hoping it is just over-cautious doctors.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I'm sorry about the scare John. I too hope that everything turns out okay for you both and that you can walk. Stay well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Al, are you starting out on your journey on Sunday 11 May? Is it your name on the calendar? I'll be one or two days behind you, so leave footprints for me to follow? or crumbs? Cheers Helen (Gesha)

I leave in 10days and start my Camino on the 13th May. After planning my trip for nearly 2 years, I am astounded at what fate has bestowed on my loved ones in this last week. My father awaits open heart surgery in the next few weeks; my mother will be having a tumour removed from her nose and facial reconstruction surgery; and finally my best friend today had a breast lump biopsied and awaits her results next week.
Apprehension has replaced excitement.
Reality bites.
Timing is terrible but life goes on.
My family have insisted that I continue to find my way to Santiago and pray to St James for good outcomes for all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi allan my wifes name is joan thankyou. hello mm4214 life some times give you a good sharpe shock i will be canceling my flight for now. hope good news over the next week or so for my wife .might still get a chance to do part camino but firsts things first.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tincatinker has recently posted this on another thread
I've just joined you on the bench. My flight is booked for tomorrow but I won't be on it. I have problems with my sacroiliac from time to time and it has chosen now. The spasms in my back make getting in and out of bed or a chair a major adventure; walking is a slow shuffle with a hand out for the nearest brace.

But I guess the Salvador / Primitivo will wait for me, and meantime I have this lovely forum to bring me laughter as well as tears.
Our prayers for your swift recovery Tincatinker and a future time on the Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have noticed recently that there have been one or two postings about people being unable to complete or start their camino because their or others ill health. Anyone in this situation that would like a prayer saying please let us know.

Thank you so much, Tia Valeria. A bit of a hurdle to get over, but I'm focusing on that Springtime start! I'm going to be having my surgery on the 23rd Sept - luckily not long to wait.

This is such a wonderful thread you started, Al the Optimist - so much support and encouragement for those facing difficult times. For myself, I so appreciate the warm thoughts and prayers which have been sent my way so far - they really do make a difference.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Al, your thoughts, wise words and prayers have paid off. My husband now has the all clear fro his colon treament and chemo, (with obvious constant montoring) and starts his Camino from home here on 10 April. I will join him after Fromista, where I had had to stop, so we can finish together on May 4, my birthday.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, it has helped and our Camino dreams are still as alive as always. Have even found a new Camino sticker on line for my new car!

Karin

Another pilgrim sadly suffering and wondering about her Camino next year. So many of us had to change our plans this year, but now hope to walk next.
Our prayers for @gittiharre who faces treatment shortly, that it is successful and she can walk again as a pilgrim, hopefully in 2015 as planned.

Thank you from me too for those wonderful words. My husband just diagnosed with colon cancer, and having chemo for six months, so having to postpone camino completion.

My thoughts are with all those doing the Camino this year.
I am praying for your husband. I had plans to go this summer. Last fall I injured my knee so badly I could not walk for months. I was so disappointed that I would not be celebrating my 50th birthday in pamplona as originally planned (it is during the running of the bulls) and it was a very big blow. Then when my knee was finally healing up I still thought I might try to go in the fall of this year. But it is just not to be. My brother died this March and I know that leaving my mom and dad to travel by myself for such an extended period of time would not be easy for them even though I still want to go so badly. Now I look at it and think well God knows why. Period. We often don't expect these things to happen and we can second guess or become very disappointed and even bitter at having our plans change so drastically and wonder how things would have been and why this is all happening. All I know is that I am trusting that God knows. He knows us and has planned our days, at least that is what I believe. So now I plan on leaving next year and I am not so inclined to worry about when I walk now but only trust that I know I will walk. It is in my heart...in my very bones and I know I must go. I will go God willing next year and pray that you both will be able to resume planning for next year if not this year. Big hugs and continued prayers for healing in for your husband.

Our sympathy @Pattii and pray your Camino plans will work out at the right time.
Another of our forum members has tests today and is praying for a good outcome for their planned Camino. Our prayers for you too and trust all will be well.
Also for you @Al the optimist that your feet are improving and remembering others having to cope with postponement or possible postponement

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lazaret-- Some years ago I made a promise to God to walk the Camino de Santiago in gratitude for my Brother's surviving Colon Cancer. His son accompanied me on the first portion and I am going back in June to finish it. I will pray and have your husband on my prayers along the Camino. Be sure of that.

Stay strong. Buen Camino!
Thank you. My husband has made an amazing recovery and is two days from St Jean Pied de Port as I write. He is enjoying every minute and feels really fit now after ten days walking... We had positive thoughts and wish all others who are suffering with similar problems all our very best.

Thank you. My husband has made an amazing recovery and is two days from St Jean Pied de Port as I write. He is enjoying every minute and feels really fit now after ten days walking... We had positive thoughts and wish all others who are suffering with similar problems all our very best.
That is so wonderful to hear! God is amazing and I pray that your husband gleans much from his walk and that the things he learns he takes with him for the rest of his life. I am sure his example has strengthened many already... Blessings to you and him and beun Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back