• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Muslim walking the Camino?

Mahmud

Time of past OR future Camino
Thinking about walking Camino Frances later this year
Hi all, my name is Mahmud and I am thinking/planning on walking the Camino in late spring/early summer. Just wanted to know if people might have a problem with someone of an Arab/Muslim background taking part in a Christian pilgrimage? I'm from the UK (my dad is Egyptian/mum Turkish) and I'm basically agnostic, so I think it would be fair to say that I am doing this for spiritual reasons, but not necessarily religious ones (if that makes sense!). Oh, and has anybody ever met another Muslim (or someone from a non-Christian background, Hindu, Buddhist etc) walking the Camino and what did they think of that? Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there and see what comes back : )

On a completely unrelated note, i think these forums are really great . Everyone on here seems really helpful and nice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome Mahmud, I walked in 2012 and I met at least two Muslims, several Jews, a few Buddhists and a variety of Christians, agnostics and atheists, so my answer to your question is that NO, no one would have a problem with you. But there is always the odd exception that you will meet in every walk of life.
Buen Camino.

If you want to walk the camino, then definitely go ahead and walk it. I met many people from many different countries, all walking for their own reasons, and it is open to everyone to enjoy, regardless of their faith. I consider myself Buddhist, but no one ever questioned this. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Mahmud,
Like Wayfarer said, you will encounter people from the full faith spectrum and from many interesting corners of the globe. I walked in 2014 and met far more people pursuing a spiritual or cultural pilgrimage, compared to a religious one. All along the way, I encountered people who were kind, curious, and courteous of others, often to a much greater extent than I encounter in my daily life. In many ways, the Camino allows the best parts of humanity to shine through, Buen Camino!
Krista

Hello Mahmud,
When I walked a few years ago one of the pilgrims was a Muslim man, I think originally from Turkey, now Dutch. He was great to talk to, made lots of good friends. He has gone on to found the Sultan's Trail, way marking a route from Vienna to Istanbul. He was a lovely part of learning how much we all have in common.
http://www.sultanstrail.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The day I arrived in Santiago a pilgrim finished from Iran. I hate to assume things in life, but my guess is he/she was muslim. If you add up agnostics and atheists, I met nearly as many of those as I did Christians, and I also met a fairly large Jewish representation. The camino is (as it should be) a multicultural experience.

Mahmud you are most welcome here on the forum and I am so glad you are finding it helpful. You will be most welcome on the Camino too. I will be walking in June. Who knows we might even meet up.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my experience, religion is seldom a topic of conversation. I would guess that it would seldom come up unless you mentioned it yourself.
There are those, of course, who are very involved in religion and will want to question others about religion. They are very, very few.
I generally just politely stay away from them and avoid conversation.

You are very welcome here as you will be on the Camino.

Hi all, my name is Mahmud and I am thinking/planning on walking the camino in late spring/early summer. Just wanted to know if people might have a problem with someone of an Arab/Muslim background taking part in a Christian pilgrimage? I'm from the UK (my dad is Egyptian/mum Turkish) and i'm basically agnostic, so i think it would be fair to say that i am doing this for spiritual reasons, but not necessarily religious ones (if that makes sense!). Oh, and has anybody ever met another Muslim (or someone from a non-Christian background, Hindu, Buddhist etc) walking the camino and what did they think of that? Anyway, just thought i'd throw that out there and see what comes back : )

On a completely unrelated note, i think these forums are really great . Everyone on here seems really helpful and nice.
Buen Camino

Hello Mahmud, I started my first camino in Lisbon with my husband, and another couple, who were Muslim. My husband had to bail out with a bad leg after 10 days and return home, but my friends and I stayed together all the way to Santiago. As far as I know they had no problems, in fact they seemed to be having a really great time! and were accepted by everybody we met. The only thing they couldn’t do was go to the pilgrim mass in Santiago cathedral, but that was fine with all of us in our now extended camino family, and we all respected that. Buen camino! Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey everybody, thanks so much for your welcoming replies! You've put my (admittedly small) fears completely to rest. I don't really talk about religion that much but having an obviously Arab/Muslim name just made me a bit curious to see the responses i might get. I'll be lurking on here trying to figure out more practical stuff-backpack weight? hiking boots? yes, i know all these questions have been answered : ) - and hopefully look forward to speaking more with you all and starting my camino! Thanks again!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The only thing they couldn’t do was go to the pilgrim mass in Santiago cathedral, but that was fine with all of us in our now extended camino family, and we all respected that. Buen camino! Jill
And to be clear, by "couldn't do" I believe you mean they felt they couldn't because of their own spiritual beliefs. I don't think the cathedral would deny them entrance..... (not picking on what you said at all, just trying to clarify this lest anyone think that the cathedral would be denying them entrance)

Hello Mahmud, I started my first camino in Lisbon with my husband, and another couple, who were Muslim. My husband had to bail out with a bad leg after 10 days and return home, but my friends and I stayed together all the way to Santiago. As far as I know they had no problems, in fact they seemed to be having a really great time! and were accepted by everybody we met. The only thing they couldn’t do was go to the pilgrim mass in Santiago cathedral, but that was fine with all of us in our now extended camino family, and we all respected that. Buen camino! Jill
Just wondering ...... why couldn't your Muslim friends go to the pilgrim mass in Santiago cathedral. I thought everyone was welcome to attend mass. I thought it is receiving communion that is / might be an issue. Or did your friends, because of their faith, choose not to go to the pilgrim mass, or was it simply the dictates of the Muslim faith that prevented them from attending mass? Whatever their reason, I respect that. Not trying to start an issue here .... am just curious.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
السلام عليكم
Check your email, I sent you a long one.

And to be clear, by "couldn't do" I believe you mean they felt they couldn't because of their own spiritual beliefs. I don't think the cathedral would deny them entrance..... (not picking on what you said at all, just trying to clarify this lest anyone think that the cathedral would be denying them entrance)
Correct, because of their own beliefs they didn't feel it was right for them to attend Mass.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mahmud! Welcome to the Forum! As many have posted, you will find people of all creeds and beliefs! Once when I was serving as hospitalero, we had the pleasure of welcoming a young Syrian, with whom I enjoyed some time practicing my very rusty Arabic, as we lived in Damascus in the 70's. At nightfall, he took his time to pray. I think we all had respect for him! Buen Camino!Anne

The people walking the Camino are a very diverse community, including people of all faiths and those with none at all. Everybody is walking for his own reason, whatever that might be, and you will feel welcomed, Mahmud!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all, my name is Mahmud and I am thinking/planning on walking the Camino in late spring/early summer. Just wanted to know if people might have a problem with someone of an Arab/Muslim background taking part in a Christian pilgrimage? I'm from the UK (my dad is Egyptian/mum Turkish) and I'm basically agnostic, so I think it would be fair to say that I am doing this for spiritual reasons, but not necessarily religious ones (if that makes sense!). Oh, and has anybody ever met another Muslim (or someone from a non-Christian background, Hindu, Buddhist etc) walking the Camino and what did they think of that? Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there and see what comes back : )

Hi. I'm Chris from Limerick Ireland. After 3 Caminoes, I have met Buddists, Jews all types of christians and agnostic and a few muslims. All were getting "something" from the journey. Some more than others. They all had helpful sharing humanity and were part of good discussions -religous, spiritual and otherwise(fooball ,food, fun effort, politics!) All part of the Journey called the Camino.

On both my Camino Frances pilgrimages in 2013 and 2014, I had some of the best intellectual discussions with non-Christians, usually over coffee or tea. By definition, this included "people of the book" (Jews and Muslims), as well as atheists, agnostics, Wiccans, and even a couple of dyed-in-the-wool Communists (boy did they miss their historical train stop).

In any event, I think these pilgrims were more surprised in speaking to an American who actually understood their positions, and could give as good as he got in debate. At the end of such debates and discussions, we would toast each other's health, wish each other "vaya con Dios - go with God" and toddle along down the path.

From these experiences, I submit that the key to getting along with all people you meet along the way is two-fold:
  1. First, just let it be, do not advertise your religious proclivities or lack of same unless it comes up in conversation. Then, do not be shy. Be honest but not arrogant. All persons have a right to an opinion and to have that opinion heard.
  2. Second, and this comes from our shared scriptural foundations, "by their deeds you shall know them..." Put another way, if you accord all people you meet along the way the same mutual respect you would reasonably expect from them, everyone gets along just fine. This, of course, is the proverbial "Golden Rule."
The sole "issues" you might be dietary. However, if you consider yourself secular, then this should not be an issue. Then again, there are many similarities between halal and kosher food preparation. You will likely find NEITHER outside the largest towns and cities on the Camino. So, take this for what is worth...

But, and in any event, before you set out, you should know that the Spanish LOVE their pork, and ham, especially prepared as sausages. It finds it's way into most every dish. Just learn the words for no pork please "sin jamon por favor," and the like, and you are good to go.

No one wears "badges of faith" per se, along the Camino. Oh, you might occasionally see a group of particularly penitent pilgrims following one of their group carrying a cross, but to each his own. One of the basic rules of the Camino is that ultimately, all persons must do their own Camino according to their own sensibilities, capabilities, and motivations. The corollary is to judge not, lest ye be judged...

Last year, while serving as a volunteer Amigo at the pilgrim office in the Cathedral at Santiago, I was surprised to see a group of perhaps a dozen adults waving a large Pakistani flag about in the plaza in front of the Cathedral. I do not know what the back story on this group was. I do not know if they were Muslim or Christian. What I do know is that they were jubilant over having completed their pilgrimage and were proud to show it. I was genuinely happy for them.

You will enjoy yourself and have a profound experience. Go for it.

I hope this helps...

Welcome to the forum.

Nice thread and responses.
Made me think that the world probably needs more socializing, common projects, friendships between religions, and a pilgrimage could be a very good meeting point.
Someone I care for once said that all religions have the same core; compassion.
I believe his is right.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey everybody, thanks so much for your welcoming replies! You've put my (admittedly small) fears completely to rest. I don't really talk about religion that much but having an obviously Arab/Muslim name just made me a bit curious to see the responses i might get. I'll be lurking on here trying to figure out more practical stuff-backpack weight? hiking boots? yes, i know all these questions have been answered : ) - and hopefully look forward to speaking more with you all and starting my camino! Thanks again!!!

In many ways, the Camino allows the best parts of humanity to shine through, Buen Camino!
Krista

Hi Mahmoud,
So glad to see your small fears have been put to rest by the 'family ' here.

....It's all 'one world'. .....

Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino
Annie

Hola Mahmud - so as you can see you are most welcome to both the Forum and to the Camino. If you intend to complete your 5 daily prayers you might need to find a quiet spot - off the trail. As for getting a Compostela - the question asked is "did you do the Camino for spiritual purposes and other reasons" (I am paraphrasing here). I am not sure if the word "Christian" gets a mention. As for attending the pilgrims daily mass - well that's up to you. The priest conducting the mass is not likely to ask if there are any non-Christians in the church. So be prepared with your training; be prepared for all situations and come with an open mind. Buen Camino!!;)

Welcome aboard and Buen Camino
Signed
Caucasian Christian (that's what i'm told) but basically agnostic

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from Sarria to Santiago last summer, met many fellow pilgrims but in all honesty I couldn't tell you what religion they all were, all I can say is they were kind, supportive, salt of the earth folk. I felt the camino somehow brought out the best in people and everyone treated each other like extended family. I hope you have a similar experience and catch the camino bug like I did, cannot wait to return :)
Buen Camino

My husband & I would have loved to experience another religious celebration while on the Camino. We are Roman Catholics but dipping into another worship service would have been a beautiful thing. Mahmud, I wish you a joyous experience on the Way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome @Mahmud and yes, many Muslims have walked the Camino before you - there is even a film about it. It is fiction and lighthearted, in French with english subtitles, great fun and worth watching:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00126LVFY/?tag=casaivar02-20

I am not Catholic and my husband has no religious faith. We take care on the Camino not to offend the sensibilities of others. I think that is all that is required on all sides.

And maybe ignore the statues of St James Matamoros....

I met a Zoroastrian on my 2nd leg. Also attended the presentation of a documentary a few years ago: a Catholic, a Jew and a Muslim walking together from Israel to Santiago. They stopped in schools, but also in refugee camps on their way, talking about their message of piece and of how we can all get along. One of the them was an osteopath, I jokingly say that I think that is why they made it to the end together, but in all seriousness their project sent out a lovely and important message.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mahmud - welcome to the Forum!
Many, many pilgrims have no religion at all. Sometimes they find it on the Way.
But we all walk together, enjoying each other's companionship.
And, after all, Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same one eternal God.
So relax: come and walk with us: and find, perhaps, even more of God's wonders and love on the Camino.

I'd be very glad to meet you on the road, Mahmud...as I have been glad to deeply connect with my brothers and sisters of all faiths on the way to Santiago.
On my first Camino last year, I met with only kindness, and perhaps a bit of curiosity--thanks to my shaved head and robes. Though I am a Buddhist nun, on the path I am simply a peregrina. Like thousands of others. We all share this troubled world and so to meet heart to heart as we do on the Camino is a most precious gift.
It would be a treat to see you on the path...so I could say "Buen Camino!" in person!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I walked 3 Camino's last year.Met lots of lovely people......I have no idea what religion they were...they had no idea about mine. There are enough problems in the world with religion....one of the beautiful things about the Camino is meeting new people and not judging them.

I believe and I have been told this by a parish preist, the Catholic church invites all to worship at their parishes , the only restriction is receiving communion. Please enjoy every expierence on the Camino de Santiago.

Not to invoke any one doctrine but Pope Francis touched this divorced in love Catholic when he said God isn't a Catholic God.

Walk, enjoy and marvel at its grandeur.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I met a Zoroastrian on my 2nd leg. Also attended the presentation of a documentary a few years ago: a Catholic, a Jew and a Muslim walking together from Israel to Santiago. They stopped in schools, but also in refugee camps on their way, talking about their message of piece and of how we can all get along. One of the them was an osteopath, I jokingly say that I think that is why they made it to the end together, but in all seriousness their project sent out a lovely and important message.
I have watched this thread for a day and finally someone said "jokingly" so hurrah for you Anemone. I'd like to lighten this up with something like: there must be a joke out there about a Muslim, a Jew and a Catholic meeting on the Camino and....
I lived in West Africa for years and I can tell you the one thing you will miss is the daily call to prayer because believe me I certainly do. Maybe that's not an issue in London, I don't know. I knew my local Iman very well and I will never forget the Christmas morning in 2004 when he sang O'holy night after the call to prayer.

Last edited:
I don't think, and I have been told this by our parish priest, the Catholic church invites all to worship at their parishes , the only restriction is receiving communion. Please enjoy every expierence on the Camino de Santiago.

Not to invoke any one doctrine but Pope Francis touched this divorced in love Catholic when he said God isn't a Catholic God.

Walk, enjoy and marvel at its grandeur.

In 1972 my best man received communion.
He was non Catholic , the other 200 hundred relations in the church were.....but his dad also non Catholic was the parish $$$$$
My best man brought up his kids mic's......scared of his wife...still is .....lol
My wedding ...big mic family not so many friends .....too expensive for mum and dad ......that was then .
Now ....all friends ...no relations......same amount of $$$$$....and daughter selects.....no relies dad...my wedding my mates

The Camino is the same Mahmud.
If your age group/beliefs can bring common sense into the world do it and enjoy.
But listen to what everybody says..........its very important and takes us away from our comfort zones.

We had an example on the GR65 [ Le Puy] before joining the Frances many years ago,
In Cajarc a lovely German lady @ dinner in the garden asked how we enjoyed the walk , as Aussies and not that good at french.
Very well we said.....a smile .......everybody tries to help
***She smiled and said nothing .
Later that night whilst talking to my wife over a red she said words that we still remember......
I am German and they know because of my accent..........
We then realised what Figeac and the Lot area means to the french.
We then started thinking about what happened all those years ago ...............both sides.......both beautiful people.

Go with a young, open and pure mind Mahmud and make the world a better place.
And if you dare like my best man did 43 years ago .....give St James a smile when you finish...he won't mind.........and you will feel OK as well..
Bon Camino

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome Mahmud. I think the overwhelming response here says it all. Makes me reflect on how the world would be if all youths of all faiths and none faiths were exposed to such an environment.

Yellow flowers in your hair mate ?????????......wonderful time it was Al...............lol

Hey, all I know is that in 2012, the other half of me (non catholic and better half) was pushed out of the top bunk in Roncesvalles ... after receiving the Eucharist at the pilgrims mass. Now I might not think that was the reason...but she does.

;)

Last edited:
Welcome---I think you will have a great trip!

You might check out the movie "St Jacques, Le Mecque" Several Muslims were in the group. They were not really welcome in a few places, but that was a fictional situation I can't imagine happening in reality----it was set up in the plot so that the others in the group could show their solidarity with them.

The only situation you might find uncomfortable are some of the depictions glorifying St James slaying the Moors. He was no saint to them!

I never gave much thought to what religion any of my fellow pilgrims were on either Camino I walked, and I never asked. Only way I knew is if they mentioned it in conversation.
I guess that's one thing I really like about walking the Camino. Everybody just kind of doing their own thing. Nobody really cares about why you are there.

Yes, it seems strange (but amazing!) how many of you have said that you did not know/ask the religion of those you met on the camino. I suppose this shows that there is a difference between religion and spirituality and perhaps the kinds of people-from all backgrounds and walks of life it seems-that the camino attracts! I can say that after reading all of the responses I am looking forward to it now more than ever and joining this wonderful community. Now i've just got to pick a side on what seems to be endless sleeping bag vs silk liner debate!

€60,-
The only two Muslims I met on the Camino were two young Ismaili women from Vancouver, both just qualified as medical practitioners, and they both told me that they enjoyed themselves greatly. They were not particularly strict in their observance, I suspected, as they were happy trying out a bottle of godello at the next table to me, but we all set our own observance levels anyway, but they said that they were made to feel welcome everywhere and learned a lot about Spanish and European Christianity along the way.

I met three Muslims when I walked in 2002, two women and one man, all walking alone. To me it's no problem. I cannot speak for others, though. But I expect things will be as problematic or as unproblematic as they are for you in the UK.

Hi Mahmud I have walked different parts of the Camino and have never had a bad experience. On the Camino we leave all our excess baggage at home including our cultural and creature comforts. It is you, your legs and your backpack. You will encounter fellowship that is multicultural, multi faith and people of no faith but we all share the journey and the experiences together. I do hope that you walk the camino as I think it will give you an insight as to the kindness of your fellow brothers and sisters.
Buen camino Dermot

Hi Mahmud I have walked different parts of the Camino and have never had a bad experience. On the Camino we leave all our excess baggage at home including our cultural and creature comforts. It is you, your legs and your backpack. You will encounter fellowship that is multicultural, multi faith and people of no faith but we all share the journey and the experiences together. I do hope that you walk the camino as I think it will give you an insight as to the kindness of your fellow brothers and sisters.
Buen camino Dermot

Wonderfully said Dermot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All I can say is !
Welcome,welcome,welcome!

Yes, it seems strange (but amazing!) how many of you have said that you did not know/ask the religion of those you met on the camino. I suppose this shows that there is a difference between religion and spirituality and perhaps the kinds of people-from all backgrounds and walks of life it seems-that the camino attracts! I can say that after reading all of the responses I am looking forward to it now more than ever and joining this wonderful community. Now i've just got to pick a side on what seems to be endless sleeping bag vs silk liner debate!

Go with the sleeping bag! You will be glad to have it if you ever need it. Also, it is not something that you can get just anywhere along the way. Even if you do not need it to sleep, it helps you aid another pilgrim who is found injured and needs to be kept warm.

As I recall you are in the UK, I (and many others on the forum) will recommend you consider the Snugpak Traveller Sleeping Bag. It sells for about GBP 35 in the UK. See here for one source:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_travelpak_traveller_sleepingbag_17843/?SelectedItem=464169

I have shopped with them and consider them reliable.

The bag is intended for indoors use as it is for warmish weather only (one season). However, it has all the features you will need. Chief among these is that it weighs less than one kilo all in. It can be machine-washed. The filling is synthetic. but the included stuff sack allows it to be reduced to the size of a pineapple. it also has a built-in mosquito screen to cover your face. This is a carry-over from the original design of the bag...read on...

Snugpak make the identical bag for the MOD as the "Jungle" sleeping bag, also sold commercially. The sole difference between the MOD and civilian versions are the colors. The MOD version is available in black, tan, and olive. The commercial "Traveller" version is sold in Red and Blue. The brighter colors are recommended if you ever need to use the bag for emergency signaling. Everything you bring should have multiple uses...

I hope this helps...

i
I am am at this moment walking from leon to santiago. Have come across hUmans and that us the bottom line. Iam brown skinned. No one Gives me any dirty looks of asks me about my sex political inclination or religion. To drive a car you are not required to show your religion. The way does not ask you for your inClinations. Only the badly informed pose questions that put into danger the harmony amongst humans. Sorry for errors.Using an mini pad am new to this piece of equipmet

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Buen Camino Sheddy!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

So here's what I think. I would love to meet and walk on the Camino with you (or another Moslem!). I don't think anyone has a right to object or make it uncomfortable for anyone else to go on Camino. I don't think Camino can be claimed by any religion. Humans walked these paths before St James (maybe) walked them. I don't think anyone has a complete understanding of Christianity or Islam or any other belief. Camino is made by walking. Europe was made on the road to Compostela. The world needs to understand Europe. Be wary of anyone who tells you the stories of the Camino. You be the one to dig deeper. Perhaps the Knights Templar were killed because they spoke Arabic and had learnt Arab magic. Perhaps they travelled to America with Robert the Bruce's friend Sinclair and that is why the Bruce's heart was buried in Santiago (temporarily). If an atheist Pict (like me) can go on Camino then so can you. Here's a heart that's been there to bid you Buen Camino. I would love to hear your experiences when you return.

Attachments

• caminoheart42holly.jpg
    caminoheart42holly.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 12
If there is a God then there can only be One God, therefore all religions pray to the same entity - where the problem?

Worth knowing that Yeshua (Jesus, Isa) spoke Aramaic as his first language (plus Hebrew, Greek, and possibly Latin) - when he was speaking in Aramaic every time he said 'God' he actually said 'Allah' as 'Allah' is Aramaic for God .......

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So here's what I think. I would love to meet and walk on the Camino with you (or another Moslem!). I don't think anyone has a right to object or make it uncomfortable for anyone else to go on Camino. I don't think Camino can be claimed by any religion. Humans walked these paths before St James (maybe) walked them. I don't think anyone has a complete understanding of Christianity or Islam or any other belief. Camino is made by walking. Europe was made on the road to Compostela. The world needs to understand Europe. Be wary of anyone who tells you the stories of the Camino. You be the one to dig deeper. Perhaps the Knights Templar were killed because they spoke Arabic and had learnt Arab magic. Perhaps they travelled to America with Robert the Bruce's friend Sinclair and that is why the Bruce's heart was buried in Santiago (temporarily). If an atheist Pict (like me) can go on Camino then so can you. Here's a heart that's been there to bid you Buen Camino. I would love to hear your experiences when you return.

The lad has gone 14 months ago Alison , no replies if he did or did not walk.

I don't think it is really relevant that this is an old post, the message and the responses are beautiful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Welcome to the forum I would walk with you in a heartbeat.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back