• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Must Read

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
While browsing through a bookshop yesterday in Singapore I came across a book by Alvin Mark Tan. Alvin walked the CF in 2012 and sketched his day to day experience from SJPdP to SDC.
I have to say it’s probable the best book I’ve read about someone’s journey on the Camino, and the sketches are fantastic, for me it was a must buy.
Now I know it won’t be to everyone’s taste but I love it, I only wish I had the sketching skills to put something like that together.
Please let it be known that I have no affiliation to the author in any way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While browsing through a bookshop yesterday in Singapore I came across a book by Alvin Mark Tan. Alvin walked the CF in 2012 and sketched his day to day experience from SJPdP to SDC.
I have to say it’s probable the best book I’ve read about someone’s journey on the Camino, and the sketches are fantastic, for me it was a must buy.
Now I know it won’t be to everyone’s taste but I love it, I only wish I had the sketching skills to put something like that together.
I bought that book some 4 or 5 years ago in Singapore. Have tried to get another copy recently, but it seems to be out of print. Was your copy a second-hand one? Reading the book and seeing Alvin’s great sketches alerted me to the Camino - and ultimately led me to completing the Francés for the first (but not the last) time in Sep/Oct this year. A great little book. Cooee

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I should have asked - what bookshop? I will be in Singapore in 2 weeks and would love to get another copy. Cooee

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought that book some 4 or 5 years ago in Singapore. Have tried to get another copy recently, but it seems to be out of print. Was your copy a second-hand one? Reading the book and seeing Alvin’s great sketches alerted me to the Camino - and ultimately led me to completing the Francés for the first (but not the last) time in Sep/Oct this year. A great little book. Cooee
I got it a year or two ago for Christmas. We got it from the same online shop and there were no issues with overseas delivery. It's a shame if it is out of print.

If you enjoyed that one you may also like "Walking in Watercolor: an artist's pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago" by Jennifer Lawson.

(Although if any moderator is watching, perhaps this thread should be moved to the Books forum.)

We are thinking of doing the hike in Sept/Oct. 2019. What was the weather like that time of year

We are thinking of doing the hike in Sept/Oct. 2019. What was the weather like that time of year
I started from SJPdP on 20 Sep 18 and finished 18 Oct in SdC. I had wonderful Wx - warm to hot (up to 32 deg C) for the first 2 weeks or so followed by more milder temps as I got closer to Galicia. For the last week, cool to cold in the pre-dawn but up to the high teens or low-20’s dec C for the daytime. Only 2 mornings or rain in that last week, otherwise fine all the way to Galicia. Overall, could not have been better for me - though I do live In Australia so I like it hot. But, I noticed that it turned very cold and snowed just a few weeks after I finished. A perfect time to walk in my view - will try Spring next year for a different experience. Good luck and Cooee.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got it a year or two ago for Christmas. We got it from the same online shop and there were no issues with overseas delivery. It's a shame if it is out of print.

If you enjoyed that one you may also like "Walking in Watercolor: an artist's pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago" by Jennifer Lawson.

(Although if any moderator is watching, perhaps this thread should be moved to the Books forum.)
That is good news David - hope I can get it as well, it was the spark for me to do my first CF this year. Cooee

Many thanks. Have e-mailed them to hold me a copy if they will, and checked out their location on maps.me - not too far from my Chinatown hotel. So fingers crossed I can get a replacement copy in a few weeks. All done in 5 min on my couch during an advertisement break on the telly. What did we do before smartphones??? Thanks again. Cooee
Geoff the shop is BooksActually, only a small shop but packed with nostalgia.
Fear not about getting one, they have plenty in stock. As you enter the shop go right and on the top of the middle shelf on the left you’ll find them. Look through the pile because there are some signed editions there, it’s $29 Singapore, I think that’s very goos value.
If you weren’t going to Singapore I.g have picked one up for you and sent it.
Happy reading.

Thanks for the Jennifer Lawson reference I’ll look that one up when I get back to the UK

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fear not about getting one, they have plenty in stock. As you enter the shop go right and on the top of the middle shelf on the left you’ll find them. Look through the pile because there are some signed editions there, it’s $29 Singapore, I think that’s very goos value.
Happy reading.
Many thanks @Waka - I’ll certainly take your advice and go there and get one - hopefully a signed one. Thanks also for the offer of a get-and-post for me, much appreciated. I am in Singapore regularly and enjoy hunting out various antiques etc, makes a change from the hustle and bustle of modern Singapore - so getting this book will be a welcome challenge. Good luck and Cooee.

At the end of the cf i toured through the camino museum in santiago where they featured a most wonderful similar book written in Spanish, with fabulous water colors.

Please let it be known that I have no affiliation to the author in any way.[/QUOTE

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where can the book be found?
Where can the book be found?

The only place I know where it can be found is in Singapore in a little bookshop called “Booksactually”. They do have a website and I think they do mail order but am not 100% sure. I’ve just had a browse on their website but can’t find it, but when I was in there last week there was loads.
If you get no luck let me know and I’ll be more than happy to pick you one up and forward it, I’ll be heading back to the UK on Thursday morning.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I just ordered this book from their website, https://www.booksactuallyshop.com/

There is a $19 international shipping fee to Australia which made the total in Australian dollars $52.15. From the lovely shared video I am happy to pay that for such lovely, whimsical memories of my walk in 2016.

They may well wonder why one particular title is being mass ordered suddenly! 😂🤣😱

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Happy reading.
@Waka - in Singapore today. Went to Books Actually - a great little shop in a fascinating area - and got a copy of the book. All the signed ones had been sold, but I am very happy that I managed to get another copy. Many thanks @Waka for your assistance. See you on The Way sometime. Cooee

I just received this book in the mail today. What a treasure! ❤️ Thanks for bringing to our attention @Waka !

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back