• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A necessary skip along the Norte, seeking recomendations

JCarpenter

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, Fr2022
Hello all and thank you for such wonderful information and encouragement to all. I have walked the French a few times and the Portuguese. Never the Norte. I am starting in mid-June in San Sebastian, and have only 21 days of walking. Is it possible to hop a train and do a skip to get me on schedule, and where would you recommend doing this based on your favorite and less favorite parts? I do want a compostela, so that factors in.

Thank you in advance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you included buses and trains to your travel plans, it could provide more options.

We used both when a member of our group had a foot injury. In 2018, taxis, trains and buses were readily available in most places on the northern route.

I'd suggest skipping Deba to Guernica, perhaps even all the way to Bilbao or Portugalete. There are bus and train routes in all of these.

Then I'd consider bypassing the route from Villaviciosa to Aviles - unless you want to see Oviedo.

It sounds like you're going to have to cut about 8 to 12 stages off. That's hard to do because it's all a beautiful Camino. In general, I'd recommend you see as much of the coast and beaches as possible.

Hope this helps a bit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Norte last September and I was always taking detours and sidestepping to various places of interest. My trusted thumb got me numerous lifts, I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes and met lots of locals who were very interested in my Camino. I know it’s not for everyone and if you’re a single woman it may not be for you but it certainly worked for me ..

Hello all and thank you for such wonderful information and encouragement to all. I have walked the French a few times and the Portuguese. Never the Norte. I am starting in mid-June in San Sebastian, and have only 21 days of walking. Is it possible to hop a train and do a skip to get me on schedule, and where would you recommend doing this based on your favorite and less favorite parts? I do want a compostela, so that factors in.

Thank you in advance.
This depends on your view of skipping stages. If you don't like skipping stages then start closer to Santiago. Alternatively, come back the following year to complete. That said the Norte has a number of not very pleasant sections in and out of large cities. Again depending on your view, you could skip sections when you get near the built-up areas. I won't list them all unless you want that information but in and out of Bilboa, Santander to Santillana, in and out of Gion. Another point is the country is less interesting in the final third. I must admit I'm not one who would pick and choose stages. Perhaps consider an alternate camino, say VDLP from Salamanca.

If you included buses and trains to your travel plans, it could provide more options.

We used both when a member of our group had a foot injury. In 2018, taxis, trains and buses were readily available in most places on the northern route.

I'd suggest skipping Deba to Guernica, perhaps even all the way to Bilbao or Portugalete. There are bus and train routes in all of these.

Then I'd consider bypassing the route from Villaviciosa to Aviles - unless you want to see Oviedo.

It sounds like you're going to have to cut about 8 to 12 stages off. That's hard to do because it's all a beautiful Camino. In general, I'd recommend you see as much of the coast and beaches as possible.

Hope this helps a bit.
The best part (most beautiful) of the del Norte is the stretch from Irun to Bilbao - I would not recommend skipping any of these stages.

If you want to save some time just past that stretch, you can take the subway from the center of Bilbao to Portugalete and shave off about 15km (though it was quite an enjoyable walk along the river for me.) As for the rest, the area in and around Santander is pretty ugly, so I would feel free to skip that, too.

But if you only have 21 days, you will have make some hard choices. I took a train from Ribadesella to Oviedo to do the Primitivo, so cannot comment about the del Norte after that point. But from what I saw, based solely on natural beauty (and food, which is really only good in the Basque country), this is what I would recommend:

1) Irun to Bilbao (appx. 7 days), then take a train or fly to Oviedo
2) Oviedo to Santiago (appx. 12 days)

That would leave you an extra day or two to spend in, say, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, Lugo, or Santiago, all of which are worth exploring.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thank you in advance.
In 2016 I started the Norte in Bilbao. I went mainly for the landscape & scenery. I quickly found the road walking to be discouraging and started figuring out how to skip around the bigger towns & the inland parts. It was very easy to take busses and/or trains. In my opinion, a few of the areas to try not to miss are Pobena to Castro Urdiales, Comillas, Ribadesella, Cadavedo, Ribadeo & the beach at As Catedrais. There you turn inland & you can bus to Baamonde to walk into Santiago to get a compostela. The Norte is beautiful! Buen Camino.

I prefer a continuous walk. Have you considered starting closer to Santiago so that you can walk without skipping?
I, too, prefer a continuous route. I am choosing to see the basque country a bit, then skip. Also, a train ride to the right spot for a 21 day walk is hard to find.

This depends on your view of skipping stages. If you don't like skipping stages then start closer to Santiago. Alternatively, come back the following year to complete. That said the Norte has a number of not very pleasant sections in and out of large cities. Again depending on your view, you could skip sections when you get near the built-up areas. I won't list them all unless you want that information but in and out of Bilboa, Santander to Santillana, in and out of Gion. Another point is the country is less interesting in the final third. I must admit I'm not one who would pick and choose stages. Perhaps consider an alternate camino, say VDLP from Salamanca.
Is the vdlp reasonable (heat)from june 22 on into july? Last time I walked I was still living in Texas and didn't notice the 104f heatwave when others were suffering. But now we hail from Puget Sound- quite a different story.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The best part (most beautiful) of the del Norte is the stretch from Irun to Bilbao - I would not recommend skipping any of these stages.

If you want to save some time just past that stretch, you can take the subway from the center of Bilbao to Portugalete and shave off about 15km (though it was quite an enjoyable walk along the river for me.) As for the rest, the area in and around Santander is pretty ugly, so I would feel free to skip that, too.

But if you only have 21 days, you will have make some hard choices. I took a train from Ribadesella to Oviedo to do the Primitivo, so cannot comment about the del Norte after that point. But from what I saw, based solely on natural beauty (and food, which is really only good in the Basque country), this is what I would recommend:

That would leave you an extra day or two to spend in, say, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, Lugo, or Santiago, all of which are worth exploring.
This is great. Thank you. Now I will investigate train from madrid to Irun. I like this plan.

Is the vdlp reasonable (heat)from june 22 on into july? Last time I walked I was still living in Texas and didn't notice the 104f heatwave when others were suffering. But now we hail from Puget Sound- quite a different story.
The first half of the VDLP can be extreme in those months. Not so bad as you go north, especially Galicia and the higher country. But it all largely depends on your attitude toward skipping sections in the middle.

I think that @andarapie has a good idea to walk that first section of the Norte, then head to Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. That will give you a taste of the coast, then you could walk a "complete" Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is great. Thank you. Now I will investigate train from madrid to Irun. I like this plan.
I flew from Madrid to San Sebastián - the airport is just outside of Irun - and it was only about $100 last year, I don’t know if the train is cheaper. If you want, you could literally start your Camino from the airport, as it’s just a few km to Mt. Jaizkabel (which has maybe the best views of the del Norte) from there. I took a cab to San Sebastián, spent two days there, and took a bus to Irun to start. There’s a nice church there, where I got my sello, but otherwise not much to see.

I think that @andarapie has a good idea to walk that first section of the Norte, then head to Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. That will give you a taste of the coast, then you could walk a "complete" Camino.
Thank you for your thoughts. I don't understand my difficulty in choosing a route this time. It may end up the way I order dinner...last minute.

Thank you for your thoughts. I don't understand my difficulty in choosing a route this time. It may end up the way I order dinner...last minute.
I do dread getting on a plane after flying from the West coast of the US. So a train...even considering the tunnel route.

€149,-
I do dread getting on a plane after flying from the West coast of the US. So a train...even considering the tunnel route.
It's just a few hours layover in the airport.

Whatever you decide, do whatever's most comfortable for you. You will get your share of suffering on the Camino, no need to worry about it now.

I agree. That’s a great combo. Although I’ve only walked the Norte to Santander - for various reasons. I have walked the first part to Bilbao three times and I’ve walked the Primitivo twice. That first week of the Norte is outstanding in my view, for many reasons, and the Primitivo is a wonderful camino. I recall the ALSA bus from Bilbao to Oviedo took about 4 hours. If time is short at least you have an afternoon and evening in Oviedo before continuing on your way. It’s a wonderful town 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Irún to Bilbao then Oviedo to Santiago on the Primitivo is a good plan. You get a nice section of the Norte and then the Primitivo which is wonderful. There are many ways you could skip some urban parts, road walking parts and other less scenic parts of the Norte but this gets tedious and really fragments your journey. I know, I tried this method once 😌. One week and then 2 weeks of continuous Camino sections is a great idea. It can be hard to find the most “right plan”, this plan is definitely “not wrong”.

Loved Irun to Bilbao but did bus in the last day to Bilbao from suburbs and subway to Portugalate on way out of town to avoid suburban walking.

The Camino is weird - you can have a great day of walking and thinking on the drabbest of stages and miserable day on the most beautiful.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back