• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A new credential?

Jaime Byrd

Artist, Filmmaker, and walking Nomad
Time of past OR future Camino
France 2018
Portugal 2022 Spring
I walked a section of the camino in France a few years ago. Now, I am going to walk in Portugal from Porto to Santiago. Should I use my original credentials to continue with what I already have or should I obtain a new credential in Portugal?
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As these are two very different routes, and you will likely have your credentiale from your Portugal stamped as “complete” in Santiago, having separate booklets will serve you better/more easily.
You should use the same booklet that you started with if you return to that route and pick it up where you left off…
Happy travels!

The credential serves as evidence that you have walked the last 100 km on a recognized route to Santiago.

Walking a section of the Frances in an earlier year has nothing to do with walking the route from Porto into Santiago, so there is no need to use the same credential. (However, I don't see any reason that you can't, if you want.) You might create some confusion, and you are likely to run out of space, so I'd agree that a new one makes more sense.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked a section of the camino in France a few years ago. Now, I am going to walk in Portugal from Porto to Santiago. Should I use my original credentials to continue with what I already have or should I obtain a new credential in Portugal?
Thanks!

Entirely up to you. If you have the space for all the stamps, then use your old credencial(s). As said above, if you want a compostela it is only the last 100kms that count (2 stamps per day).

However, it was me, I think I’d get a new credencial, just because they are different camino routes.

Having said that, my husband has always wanted to walk the last few days into Santiago with me. So this year the plan is to walk only from Melide (56kms) over 5 days. He still has a half empty credencial from the Camino Portugues 10 years ago, so he is going to take that, just to get stamps along the way 😃.

(2 stamps per day).

Myth. Well at least if your credential shows you started well out. I’ve never had two stamps per day after Sarria. Then again I have never started there, so maybe stamps are more important if you take a shorter route. But the people at the pilgrims’ office, IMO, are friendly so not an issue.

However, a credential with a bunch of stamps looks really cool.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
(2 stamps per day).

Myth.
🤣

LOTS of threads on this forum, from people who walked from hundreds of miles away, and were refused a compostela because they didn't have 2 stamps a day for the final 100 kms.

That's the rule.

You have been lucky 🤣 🤣

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
(2 stamps per day).

Myth. Well at least if your credential shows you started well out. I’ve never had two stamps per day after Sarria. Then again I have never started there, so maybe stamps are more important if you take a shorter route. But the people at the pilgrims’ office, IMO, are friendly so not an issue.

However, a credential with a bunch of stamps looks really cool.
No, it's not a myth.
The Pilgrim's Office website states

You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

It doesn't mention special dispensation for those who have walked farther.

Sure, many pilgrims who started from SJPDP or some other point several hundred km from Santiago have received a Compostela without two stamps per day during the last 100km, but it's at the discretion of the volunteer or staff member when you arrive at the Pilgrims Office.

Please make it easier on those volunteers and staff members and follow the rules.

No, it's not a myth.

You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Sure, many pilgrims who started from SJPDP or some other point several hundred km from Santiago have received a Compostela without two stamps per day during the last 100km, but it's at the discretion of the volunteer or staff member when you arrive at the Pilgrims Office.

Please make it easier on those volunteers and staff members and follow the rules.

Ok, my bad for breaking the rules on the way.

Sorry about that.

But the truth says I have numerous compostella in my closet, still in their tubes, and I never got 2 stamps after Sarria.

But the truth says I have numerous compostella in my closet, still in their tubes, and I never got 2 stamps after Sarria.
And I would be so disappointed to find that, had I given that advice and someone relied on it, they were refused their compostela. My experience is similar if not as extensive as yours, but I defer to the Pilgrims Office guidance here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And I would be so disappointed to find that, had I given that advice and someone relied on it, they were refused their compostela. My experience is similar if not as extensive as yours, but I defer to the Pilgrims Office guidance here.
Now I feel guilty for telling the truth! Like I said before, the more stamps, the prettier the credential.

Now I feel guilty for telling the truth! Like I said before, the more stamps, the prettier the credential.
Don't (feel guilty). Many of us have had the same experience, but I think it's one of those circumstances where our good fortune around this has not been shared by everyone. On my first two Spanish pilgrimages, I didn't collect two sellos every day in the last 100 km, and still got my compostela.

Like many things in this life, it has seems I no longer look like someone who is capable of misbehaving in some way to circumvent the system. It's so disappointing!

On my first Camino I was ignorant of the 2 stamps per day rule after Sarria, and was still issued a Compostela. In fact, the person filling it out did not even mention that I had neglected to fulfill the requirement. I only found out months later after reading a few threads on this forum on the subject.
I would never tell anyone they only need one stamp, but it reminds me of some who ask questions regarding airlines' rules for bringing your hiking poles on board or not. Sometimes it's just a matter of who is working at the scanners on the day you travel and what kind of mood they are in. I've gotten my poles through security a few times, and also have had them confiscated. It's always a risk to assume the rules won't matter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't (feel guilty). Many of us have had the same experience, but I think it's one of those circumstances where our good fortune around this has not been shared by everyone. On my first two Spanish pilgrimages, I didn't collect two sellos every day in the last 100 km, and still got my compostela.

Like many things in this life, it has seems I no longer look like someone who is capable of misbehaving in some way to circumvent the system. It's so disappointing!
Thank you for your thoughtful response.

It would be easier if policies actually matched actions consistently, but in this case I’d vote for no more 2 sello rule for anyone who starts beyond the 100k mark.

But the truth says
... that the rule is 2 sellos per day for the last 100 km.

Most everybody knows that the rule is not harshly or consistently enforced! But it is a disservice to promote the idea that it can always be ignored. That's what you might better feel guilty for!😃

in this case I’d vote for no more 2 sello rule for anyone who starts beyond the 100k mark.
We'll let you know when this comes up for a vote!😂

I've had the same experience as Damien: never bothered about getting 2 stamps per day and still receiving my Compostela. But I must admit: after 2 Compostela's I stopped 'collecting' them, because the credentials mean so much more to me.

On the other hand I'm aware of the fact that I possibly received my Compostela's because the volunteer at the Pilgrim's office kindly 'looked the other way' when I presented my credentials.

So I would advice those who want to get their Compostela: get your 2 stamps the last 100k.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not sure why someone would set out trying to skirt rules. If someone is aware of the rules set to complete a 'challenge / task / sport / job' in life, I think the rules should be honored. It's rather disrespectful of the whole process and others to simply ignore how it should be done just because someone can/has/wants to.
Can you vs should you? It's rapidly become a rather sad and chaotic world in general with the mindset that rules don't apply to certain people and orderly systems simply aren't valued.

Thanks!

New credential since it’s a new route

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No, it's not a myth.

Can you say where, other than Ivar’s shop, in Porto do you get your credential and where is the official start point?

Thanks!

the latter...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can you say where, other than Ivar’s shop, in Porto do you get your credential and where is the official start point?
As far as I can tell, Ivar's shop does not have the Camino Portugues Credential. The older links are not helpful. Out of stock at the albergue website and the page seems to be broken for the Lusitana Pilgrim Association. I did send them an email.

As far as I can tell, Ivar's shop does not have the Camino Portugues Credential. The older links are not helpful. Out of stock at the albergue website and the page seems to be broken for the Lusitana Pilgrim Association. I did send them an email.
This link for the Via Lusitana pilgrim association is working.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2016, I walked a section of the Way of Le Puy from Aire-sur-l'Adour to SJPP with my son. I saved the credential from that walk, and in 2017 when I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago I used a new credential. I brought the Way of Le Puy credential with me and presented both to the volunteer at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago and received acknowledgment on my certificate for the distance from Aire-sur-l'Adour to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not sure why someone would set out trying to skirt rules. If someone is aware of the rules set to complete a 'challenge / task / sport / job' in life, I think the rules should be honored. It's rather disrespectful of the whole process and others to simply ignore how it should be done just because someone can/has/wants to.
Can you vs should you? It's rapidly become a rather sad and chaotic world in general with the mindset that rules don't apply to certain people and orderly systems simply aren't valued.
It all depends on the rule. It’s a pain to pull out my credential because it is so precious, and I washed mine in the laundry once when I was much younger, keeping it in my short’s pocket. It was horrific. (The story on the other hand is great!) So now the credential is kept in a ziplock next to my USA Passport, as often I need both at the same time, most usually when checking into accommodation. Both are always buried in my pack now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can you vs should you? It's rapidly become a rather sad and chaotic world in general with the mindset that rules don't apply to certain people and orderly systems simply aren't valued
Did you really just say that? Weren't you the same person who said this:
There was no anxiety on my end... and I walked right thru TSA three times with poles tucked inside of my pack with not one issue . I’ll check bag with poles in it to return home .
Excuse me if I have formed the opinion that you are being very quick to judge here, and unless you are also a mind-reader, you have no idea whether someone who didn't get two sellos a day was trying to skirt the rules had simply forgotten the requirement after 25 days of walking and only collecting one stamp a day, wasn't able to collect a second stamp because no suitable places were open over the course of the day, or any of what might be a myriad of other reasons.

had simply forgotten the requirement after 25 days of walking and only collecting one stamp a day, wasn't able to collect a second stamp because no suitable places were open over the course of the day, or any of what might be a myriad of other reasons.

Most people who don't collect two stamps during the last 100 km are unaware of the rule, don't realize that it applies to them, simply forget, etc.

I posted the verbiage from the Pilgrim's Office above because it's a common misconception that those who walk more than 100 km don't need two stamps per day, and indeed, many have received Compostelas without the required two stamps during the last 100 km, but the Pilgrim's Office clearly states that the rule applies to everyone, and I think that it's best to not to put the staff and volunteers there in the position where they have to "look the other way" in order to give someone a Compostela.
If you know the rules, please follow them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Where can I get the Portuguese Caminho credential? Thanks.
The Portuguese credential, issued by Via Lusitana , the Portugues Pilgrim Association
A good Portuguese friend sent it to me the other day.
Maybe he will give a hint where to obtain.I sent him a whatsapp message a minute ago to ask

Attachments

• 7891B7A5-0E45-4FAF-99DE-F96BBFE7483E.jpeg
    7891B7A5-0E45-4FAF-99DE-F96BBFE7483E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • E87C026A-AFE0-4AEE-B94D-E3A3CB768EEE.jpeg
    E87C026A-AFE0-4AEE-B94D-E3A3CB768EEE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • E091A9F5-EBC3-4393-AE46-9FF879152151.jpeg
    E091A9F5-EBC3-4393-AE46-9FF879152151.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Where can I get the Portuguese Caminho credential? Thanks.

The Portuguese credential, issued by Via Lusitana , the Portugues Pilgrim Association
Maybe he will give a hint where to obtain.
Back in 2019 I ordered some from the Albergue in Barcelos, but they are currently out of stock. 😟

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most people who don't collect two stamps during the last 100 km are unaware of the rule, don't realize that it applies to them, simply forget, etc.

I posted the verbiage from the Pilgrim's Office above because it's a common misconception that those who walk more than 100 km don't need two stamps per day, and indeed, many have received Compostelas without the required two stamps during the last 100 km, but the Pilgrim's Office clearly states that the rule applies to everyone, and I think that it's best to not to put the staff and volunteers there in the position where they have to "look the other way" in order to give someone a Compostela.
If you know the rules, please follow them.
During my five caminhos I gathered 2 stamps a day during the last 100 kms to Santiago. WHen you start from the place you stayed the night you get one.When you drink a coffee or whatever You can get a stamp because on the Way all cafe’s , bars ,restaurants etc are used to see pilgrims and have stamps

Last edited:
Maybe he will give a hint where to obtain.I sent him a whatsapp message a minute ago to ask
My friend answered a minute ago : Anyway for those who start in Lisbon , they sell the cedentials in the Sé cathedral
But he told: where ever you start in Portugal , ask for a Portuguese credential ,issued by Via Lusitana, the one as you can see here above . the published photos I uploaded .

My friend answered a minute ago : Anyway for those who start in Lisbon , they sell the cedentials in the Sé cathedral
But he told: where ever you start in Portugal , ask for a Portuguese credential ,issued by Via Lusitana, the one as you can see here above . the published photos I uploaded .
excellent. that's what I will do then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you really just say that? Weren't you the same person who said this:

Excuse me if I have formed the opinion that you are being very quick to judge here, and unless you are also a mind-reader, you have no idea whether someone who didn't get two sellos a day was trying to skirt the rules had simply forgotten the requirement after 25 days of walking and only collecting one stamp a day, wasn't able to collect a second stamp because no suitable places were open over the course of the day, or any of what might be a myriad of other reasons.
hmmmm...regarding my post years ago about poles going thru the airport? The info was provided by a TSA agent to me and I was passing it along. There was no intent on breaking any rules. Had I not been told by the TSA that I could break down the poles, remove steel tips, cover ends with rubber caps and wrap in plastic wrap, I would have checked my poles. I did not seek to break rules. I sought out the rules, non?

As for being 'quick to judge'? My response was questioning why someone/ anyone who knew the rules regarding 2 sello in the last 100K, would be telling others that they aren't enforced anyway. Does that not devalue a system with rules?

"excuse me if I have formed the opinion that you are being very quick to judge here..."

excellent. that's what I will do then.
By the way although I don’t think many should start their caminho there, the Portuguese credential is for sale in the albergue in Barcelos .@Trecile mentioned this allready here above in the thread

Here is the link Copy the text in Google Translate if you like.

And you get information where to buy it and where to order online

Very helpful. Thank you for the information and pictures.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.