• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A new era

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3000

Remember that George W. Bush walked off the job with the Texas Air Guard, desertion in a time of war. His cowardice was a betrayal of 58,256 Americans who, for better or worse, gave their lives in the Vietnam War, and the millions who died in more honorable causes over the past 234 years. He never has been typical of America. He violated the core principles of the Constitution of the United States. He is the most un-American president ever to falsely wear the raiment of patriotism.

On behalf of the entire United States, I apologize for his conduct, since he never will.

Politics, particularly international politics, is imperfect, so America cannot promise perfect world leadership. I am certain, however, that we have begun an era in which we will earn the world's respect again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also on behalf of the entire United States I apologize for the tasteless insertion of partisan political content in this forum.

As a non-american, I'd like to say how moved I was watching today's inauguration and how hopeful it made me.

I offer the following prayer from the episcopal diocese of New Hampshire, via a catholic woman's blog:

O God of our many understandings, we pray that you will...

Bless us with tears — for a world in which over a billion people exist on less than a dollar a day, when young women from many lands are beaten and raped for wanting an education, and thousands die daily from malnutrition, malaria, and AIDS.

Bless us with anger — at discrimination, at home and abroad, against refugees and immigrants, women, people of color, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Bless us with discomfort — at the easy, simplistic “answers” we’ve preferred to hear from our politicians, instead of the truth, about ourselves and the world, which we need to face if we are going to rise to the challenges of the future.

Bless us with patience — and the knowledge that none of what ails us will “fixed” anytime soon, and the understanding that our new president is a human being, not a messiah.

Bless us with humility — open to understanding that our own needs must always be balanced with those of the world.

Bless us with freedom from mere tolerance — replacing it with a genuine respect and warm embrace of our differences, and an understanding that in our diversity, we are stronger.

Bless us with compassion and generosity — remembering that every religion’s God judges us by the way we care for the most vulnerable in the human community, whether across town or across the world.

And God, we give you thanks for your child Barack, as he assumes the office of President of the United States.

Give him wisdom beyond his years, and inspire him with Lincoln’s reconciling leadership style, President Kennedy’s ability to enlist our best efforts, and Dr. King’s dream of a nation for ALL the people.

Give him a quiet heart, for our Ship of State needs a steady, calm captain in these times.

Give him stirring words, for we will need to be inspired and motivated to make the personal and common sacrifices necessary to facing the challenges ahead.

Make him color-blind, reminding him of his own words that under his leadership, there will be neither red nor blue states, but the United States.

Help him remember his ow oppression as a minority, drawing on that experience of discrimination, that he might seek to change the lives of those who are still its victims.

Give him the strength to find family time and privacy, and help him remember that even though he his president, a father only gets one shot at his daughters’ childhoods.

And please, God, keep him safe. We know we ask too much of our presidents, and we’re asking FAR too much of this one. We know the risk he and his wife are taking for all of us, and we implore you, O good and great God, to keep him safe. Hold him in the palm of your hand — that he might do the work we have called him to do, that he might find joy in this impossible calling, and that in the end, he might lead us as a nation to a place of integrity, prosperity and peace.
AMEN.

Diocese of New Hampshire, The Episcopal Church

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Speaking as a post-American Citizen of the Planet, I say compelling as it might be, (and as excited as some of us might be feeling today), none of this material belongs on this forum.

Rebekah Scott said:
Speaking as a post-American Citizen of the Planet, I say compelling as it might be, (and as excited as some of us might be feeling today), none of this material belongs on this forum.
.... I agree, and this is why I lock the topic.

I have been glued to the TV myself today, but let's try to stay "on topic" here :)

Saludos,
Ivar

As a moderator...one of the things I do is remove inappropriate or distasteful topics or threads from the Forum.

That said, over a year ago two or three members of the Forum got into a heated argument concerning their views on a religious topic. The moderator at that time came down hard on them. I, new to the Forum, came down on the side of the members of the Forum who, IMHO, are intelligent, forthright and, most of all, self censoring.

We are an international body drawn together by this Forum to share insight, recommendations, good habits (and bad) that pertain to our mutual successful completion of Our Camino...in whatever mode or manner the Way wills.

Let us continue to move in the direction most in keeping with our motives and ideals and leave the rest to appropriate blogs and discussion groups tied to our specific beliefs and political leanings.

Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back