• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A new pilgrim in Camino

pilgrim13

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk (2013)
Hi all.....

I am new to the site and I am here as I am planning to do the last 100 km walk from Sarria to Santiago during my birthday week in February 2014. The plan is just to have a taste of the walk for now and I will eventually plan to do the proper Frances walk sometime soon. Now I have already booked my plane ticket to Santiago from london then from there I will get a bus to Sarria. So far I have only been reading information about the walk through the net as the guidebook I have ordered ( by John Brierley ) in Amazon has not arrived yet. Got few questions which I'm sure all answers can all be found somewhere here in the forum but I doing an essay right now too which is due soon so I cannot really browse much. I will be very grateful if you can guide me a bit please especially with some of my questions.

1. Is getting the bus from santiago to sarria the best option? Does someone know the link to the bus service please in santiago?

2. I am hiking on my own.....will there be loads of pilgrims during February time?
3. Is it going to be very cold in February ....is there a chance it will snow?
4. Since I am only doing a 100 km walk..... It does follow right that I won't have to carry too much with me. ( sorry this may sound like a stupid question to most of you here....:) but just want a general idea of probably how much weight I will be carrying for a 100 km walk in Camino. I do a lot of walking/ hiking but I'm not so used to walking with a heavy bag on my back.....so I just want an idea please.

Sorry everyone if all my questions seem really daft..... But I just need to get a bit of an idea. Getting really frustrated with amazon as It has been 3 weeks now since I've ordered the guidebook.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
To Lugo: http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion3a.php
To Sarria:
LUGO - SARRIA
D(SUN) L(MON) M(TUE) X(WED) J(THU) V(FRI) S(SAT)
SALIDA 06:45 LLEGADA 07:15 DLMXJVS
SALIDA 08:30 LLEGADA 09:00 LMXJV
SALIDA 10:35 LLEGADA 11:05 DLMXJVS
SALIDA 12:00 LLEGADA12:30 DLMXJV
SALIDA 12:45 LLEGADA13:15 LMXJV
SALIDA 13:45 LLEGADA14:15 DLMXJVS
SALIDA 15:20 LLEGADA15:50 LMXJV
SALIDA 17:30 LLEGADA 18:00 LMXJV
SALIDA18:35 LLEGADA19:05 LMXJV
SALIDA20:00 LLEGADA 20:3 LMXJV
SALIDA 20:45 LLEGADA21:15 DLMXJVS

2. There will be several dozen fellow pilgrims a day.
3. It may snow. Expect it to be chilly.
4. Keep your pack under 10kg; under 7kg if you can.
Buen camino!

Attachments

• lugo sarria.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 4
No - not daft questions at all! February and Galicia! You just cannot tell what the weather will be like - prepare for the unexpected!

alone? noooo you won't be alone.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Suggest bus from SCQ to Lugo and transfer there to Sarria.

Sarria transportation page. Note information about bus transport.
http://www.sarria.es/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&itemid=132&lang=gl

Airport Santiago (SCQ)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/en/

Bus service from SCQ to Lugo ... you don't need to go to bus station Santiago.
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion0.php

Bus station Santiago
http://www.tussa.org/web/interior.php?txt=arbore_web5&lg=cas

Other option is to go to Santiago and catch train.

Note diagram of train network in Galacia
http://www.sarria.es/pdf/horarios-trenes.pdf

Renfe is Spains train system
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Welcome to the forum pilgrim13. Good advice being given to you already so I won't cloud the post with any more. Just to say welcome pilgrim this is your start of a real adventure, Buen camino!

Hi all.....
4. Since I am only doing a 100 km walk..... It does follow right that I won't have to carry too much with me. ( sorry this may sound like a stupid question to most of you here....:) but just want a general idea of probably how much weight I will be carrying for a 100 km walk in Camino. I do a lot of walking/ hiking but I'm not so used to walking with a heavy bag on my back.....so I just want an idea please.

Since the other responders have answered the transportation question, I'll take a stab at the quoted one. IMO you won't be carrying less than someone walking further than the last 100km. You'll still need the basics, which you can glean from hundreds of threads on what to pack. There's no getting around two sets of clothing, basic toiletries, spare shoes for evening wear, etc. Plus you'll actually be carrying more outerwear due to the season and the uncertainties of the weather in February. So assume something like 6 to 8 kg for the basics, plus whatever your additional seasonal clothes weigh. Get a good-fitting backpack with a hip belt to bear the weight, and you shouldn't feel too overloaded.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all for responding ...... I really deeply appreciate all your suggestions and comments here. I will definitely spend more time in reading through the common questions portion of this site so I won't be so redundant in my queries. It's just great hearing the answers to my immediate questions here.....It just helps me focus and it does relieves me a bit from stressing too much whilst waiting for my guidebook.

Have a great Christmas everyone! And I look forward to journeying with you all in Camino even if it's just here virtually! God bless us all!

Thank you all for responding ...... I really deeply appreciate all your suggestions and comments here. I will definitely spend more time in reading through the common questions portion of this site so I won't be so redundant in my queries. It's just great hearing the answers to my immediate questions here.....It just helps me focus and it does relieves me a bit from stressing too much whilst waiting for my guidebook.

Have a great Christmas everyone! And I look forward to journeying with you all in Camino even if it's just here virtually! God bless us all!

Welcome to you too dytzs_pilgrim and the seasons Greetings to you also, so good to see you making your first post on the forum and again hope that you enjoy your adventure on the Way when ever you decide to go. Happy Christmas and Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back