• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A new start tomorrow

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Hello community. I was on the Frances, escaped to San Sebastian to avoid the heat in Pamplona and now I think I'm going to start the Norte from Santilla del Mar tommorow because the Frances did feel like a bed race and I'm hoping this route will have more housing availability. Also I love the coast. Planning to walk to Oveido and then either continue the coastal route or the Primitivo. I'm vegetarian, mostly vegan and have heard Primitivo is least compatible with that diet.

Considering walking the coast to A Coruna then to Santiago and we'll see... I made a reservation in Santiago July 24-26 to be there for Saint James day.

Anyone else planning to be there then?

Thanks 🥰🥰🥰

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What an adventure. . . you are really embracing the spirit of 'going with the flow', and just seeing what the day will bring. Your's is an excellent example of why being part of a formal tour group makes it far more difficult to be flexible when on a Camino.. :)

Buen Camino and Ultreya

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello community. I was on the Frances, escaped to San Sebastian to avoid the heat in Pamplona and now I think I'm going to start the Norte from Santilla del Mar tommorow because the Frances did feel like a bed race and I'm hoping this route will have more housing availability. Also I love the coast. Planning to walk to Oveido and then either continue the coastal route or the Primitivo. I'm vegetarian, mostly vegan and have heard Primitivo is least compatible with that diet.

Considering walking the coast to A Coruna then to Santiago and we'll see... I made a reservation in Santiago July 24-26 to be there for Saint James day.

Anyone else planning to be there then?

Thanks 🥰🥰🥰
Flying out to Biarritz on Saturday, starting out first thing Sunday morning. Had intended to start from St Jean on the Frances but have walked in temperatures close to 40 on the Frances before and don’t want a repeat. Doubt that we’ll catch you before Santiago but have a good Camino. The Primitivo is gorgeous and don’t worry about the food, there are plenty of veggie and vegan options. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had no problem walking the Primitivo as a vegan in 2018. Much easier than the Camino de Madrid! Here are some places where I ate that served vegan food:

Oviedo - Manglar and Lata de Zinc
Venta de Escamplero - El Tendejón de Fernando (verduras a la plancha)
Grado - there's a big Lidl where you can stock up on supplies, lots of options
Salas - Bar La Campa (patatas bravas, vegetable sandwiches, ask for no ham or cheese)
Albergue de Bodenaya - communal dinner, amazing place!
Campiello - Casa Herminia offers a four-course vegan meal!
Berducedo - Casa Marques - we self-catered, but there were a few vegan options on the menu
Castro - Albergue de Castro - quite a few vegan options (lentils, soup, pasta, etc.)
A Fonsagrada - Bar O'Atallo (very good veggie pizza with no cheese) and Cantãbrico (caldo gallego and spaghetti with mushrooms)
O Cádavo Baleira - the Casa Ria Ultramarinos supermarket has several vegan options (hummus, quinoa and bean salad, etc.)
Lugo - Cafeteria Reina is a vegetarian restaurant and their pilgrim's menu is always vegan. Gadis supermarket is good.
A Ferreira - A Nave Ferreira albergue has a vegan communal dinner option (salad and chickpeas in broth)
Melide - Casa Alongos - homemade vegan burger and parrillada de verduras. Also there's Santiveri health food store.
Boente - Albergue Os Albergues - the friendly owners here have plenty of vegan options

The only albergue that was not able to offer us anything was the private albergue in Santa Irene. It's still a very nice place, though, so I don't regret staying there. We just brought our own food.

For more general tips on eating vegan on the Camino, see my blog post linked in my signature.

Buen Camino!

Flying out to Biarritz on Saturday, starting out first thing Sunday morning. Had intended to start from St Jean on the Frances but have walked in temperatures close to 40 on the Frances before and don’t want a repeat. Doubt that we’ll catch you before Santiago but have a good Camino. The Primitivo is gorgeous and don’t worry about the food, there are plenty of veggie and vegan options. Buen Camino
Thank you so much. I was looking today and the towns on the Primitivo look like they have 50-500 people. Is it unrealistic to fear being in such a remote place? I don't mind hills but remote... ? Is it safe? Thanks.

I had no problem walking the Primitivo as a vegan in 2018. Much easier than the Camino de Madrid! Here are some places where I ate that served vegan food:

Oviedo - Manglar and Lata de Zinc
Venta de Escamplero - El Tendejón de Fernando (verduras a la plancha)
Grado - there's a big Lidl where you can stock up on supplies, lots of options
Salas - Bar La Campa (patatas bravas, vegetable sandwiches, ask for no ham or cheese)
Albergue de Bodenaya - communal dinner, amazing place!
Campiello - Casa Herminia offers a four-course vegan meal!
Berducedo - Casa Marques - we self-catered, but there were a few vegan options on the menu
Castro - Albergue de Castro - quite a few vegan options (lentils, soup, pasta, etc.)
A Fonsagrada - Bar O'Atallo (very good veggie pizza with no cheese) and Cantãbrico (caldo gallego and spaghetti with mushrooms)
O Cádavo Baleira - the Casa Ria Ultramarinos supermarket has several vegan options (hummus, quinoa and bean salad, etc.)
Lugo - Cafeteria Reina is a vegetarian restaurant and their pilgrim's menu is always vegan. Gadis supermarket is good.
A Ferreira - A Nave Ferreira albergue has a vegan communal dinner option (salad and chickpeas in broth)
Melide - Casa Alongos - homemade vegan burger and parrillada de verduras. Also there's Santiveri health food store.
Boente - Albergue Os Albergues - the friendly owners here have plenty of vegan options

The only albergue that was not able to offer us anything was the private albergue in Santa Irene. It's still a very nice place, though, so I don't regret staying there. We just brought our own food.

For more general tips on eating vegan on the Camino, see my blog post linked in my signature.

Buen Camino!
Thank you so so so much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much. I was looking today and the towns on the Primitivo look like they have 50-500 people. Is it unrealistic to fear being in such a remote place? I don't mind hills but remote... ? Is it safe? Thanks.
It’s very safe. There are lots of pilgrims quietly making their way to Santiago from Oviedo. At this time of year I’d guess that you’ll see and chat to somewhere between 30 and 50 every day. There are plenty of albergues en route, places like Salas, Tineo and Lugo are lovely. We had to fly home half way through for a seriously ill, much loved dog who later died but we returned shortly afterwards to complete the journey. If you’d like to get a feel for the Camino I kept a blog at https://casacaminoprimitivo.wordpress.com/2018/07/06/grado/. Hopefully it’ll give you a real sense of how beautiful it is. I often wonder where the two ‘angels’ are now 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back