• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino A new threat to my pilgrim tolerance and zen-like state of relaxation

Don'tbe too harsh, maybe some people's muscle seize up overnight on those tiny bunks and require hot water to get moving again. Not all of us have young, supple or friendly morning muscles.
Well, that's a new spin on this topic! But, oh so true. I ocassionally need to do that at home and now I know to never do it on the Camino!:D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the majority of posts are displaying a blatant display of cartesian /newtionian socia thinking and should prob let themselves go of that way of thinking on the camino☺
Anyone else not know what a socia is or it it just me?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I beg my pardon! " social thinking" was the term that i endevoured to type but was other wise engaged! I.e babysitting ☺ philosophically its better known as reductionist and socioeconomics but youle find cartesian newtonion thinking in many areas regarding life, conforming, bureaucracy etc

Nature and socially i think many people take theyre approach unknowingly

I beg my pardon! " social thinking" was the term that i endevoured to type but was other wise engaged! I.e babysitting ☺ philosophically its better known as reductionist and socioeconomics but youle find cartesian newtonion thinking in many areas regarding life, conforming, bureaucracy etc

Oh, your fellow pilgrims are going to have SO much fun chatting with you! :rolleyes:

Right.

:D:D:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the majority of posts are displaying a blatant display of cartesian /newtionian socia thinking and should prob let themselves go of that way of thinking on the camino☺
:) Of course (apart from Cartesian & Newtonian philosophies) basic social thinking skills are valuable on the camino, though I think it is generally intuitive (to an extent) for most of us.

:) Of course (apart from Cartesian & Newtonian philosophies) basic social thinking skills are valuable on the camino, though I think it is generally intuitive (to an extent) for most of us.
What she said.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well we are all different.
The southerners tended to eat late stay up late and leave late.
The more northerners went earlier to bed and got up early.
So we all enjoyed each other noise.
I went early to bed so waking up at Midnight for all those chattering laughing and maybe a bit drunk humanity,
I tried to be considered in the morning and not waking up those fellows but I am exactly no fairy light foot.
I learnt not to worry about it.
I focused on some thing a man told me who wrote his bicycle from Bavaria to India in one stretch. I asked him about the food if it is eatable? He said that the wrong question. I said well what’s the right one? He said “will this bring me further”.
What I learnt is life in the day.
Yeah it sound like postcard Zen, but I did not expect anything in the end. No there was not this overwhelming aw to see Santiago. But at the mess I cried after all.
I asked myself a day before Santiago, so where is the big enlightenment?
No nothing nothing at all?
Then it dawned to me. Something very rare for me not one day afraid not one day worried not one day stressed.
And no champions to fight my battles, but always help when I needed it. So if there no dragon slayer miraculously appearing you need none. You thing you can’t walk anymore and you need a transportation and there is none, you do not need it.
You can’t make another step out of the Albergue and you are so hungry, someone will share his bread. How precious.

Just take today and let tomorrow take care of tomorrow.

These three Buddha quotes seem most appropriate.

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."...
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.” ...
“Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.”

Hello everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post.
I was just wondering;
What is it about the morning shower that is annoying? I didn't think water running would wake me in the early hours and I prefer a morning shower, although I didn't think there would be time in the mornings.
My first Camino is in the planning stages. (March 2019) I'm trying to get as much info as possible. I thought soft earplugs would save me from snoring, bag rustling and flushing toilets. I never considered I would be disturbed by a person showering.

So here I sit, at the knee(s) of those more experienced than I. Please enlighten me.
It ties up the potty in a lot of places when peeps are just rolling out and need to empty the tank, so to speak. (Speaking metaphorically) That's aside the matter of noise before anyone else is up...that one depends on layout. I personally arrive sweaty and want to shower and change before chow. Also in the afternoon one can wash the clothes just removed, well at least the undies, if starting early enough and hope that they'll be dry enough by bedtime to put away. Though May and early June can make that part difficult.
Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My routine worked its way out as I went along CF in April 2017: I showered as soon as I got my bed arranged, washed out my bra & undies in the shower, dressed for evening and sleep, hung out my undies&bra to dry, ate dinner, socialized, then got my backpack, maps and next days clothes ready (set on top of pack), got in bed wrote in journal. Slept, and I woke up naturally around 6:30am, used restroom, dressed, packed up, got coffee and headed out. Walked a few hours and stopped for breakfast.

Let's talk about the bald Italian guy in the bunk below me carrying a portable hair dryer he used to dry (heat up?) every page in his guidebook early in the morning. (I have a picture of this somewhere)

My 'dearly beloved' carries a tiny hairdryer to warm up her socks and boots in the mornings :eek:
Just another reason we don't stay in Albergues. :rolleyes:

Oh, did I say 'she' carries the hairdryer..........well you know what I mean...... :oops:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.