• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A newbie bedbug question...

ScooterB

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016 (Frances), June-July 2017 (Le Puy)
Hello! I am contemplating a Camino adventure next April/May and am debating the virtues of Frances vs. Via de la Plata. Frankly the talk of bedbugs is freaking me out. Would I have a reduced likelihood of encountering these pests on the VdlP?
Also, does staying in a hotel or pensione instead of a pilgrim albergue reduce the likelihood? Pls share your wisdom with me!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, ScooterB

Welcome to the forum!

There are others on the forum who have much more expert advice and experience about treatment, etc, but I can tell you a few things from my own experience.

I have only gotten bitten once (I have walked a Camino every year but one since 2000), and it was on the Vdlp, probably in the Zafra albergue. There are probably more bedbugs on the Francés than on the Vdlp, just because there are more people, but bedbugs are an equal opportunity offender and you can find them on any camino.

Bedbugs also do not distinguish albergues from hotels, all it takes is one person carrying them to start the problem, no matter what the accommodations. I remember meeting people who got bit at a quite nice hotel in an old monastery in Carrión de los Condes. I had stayed there the previous year without incident, and I'm sure they have gotten rid of them since, so I'm not using this post as a way to say -- don't stay at this place, they have bedbugs -- but merely to illustrate that bedbugs can be anywhere. It is true that there seem to be some albergues whose owners do not seem to care about pilgrim reports of bedbugs and so they are a perennial problem, but most of the owners take quick action. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
does staying in a hotel or pensione instead of a pilgrim albergue reduce the likelihood?

Hi, no. I found a bed bug, in my bed, when I woke up in the morning, in the hotel I stayed at in Le Puy at the very start of my camino last year. Great, I haven’t even started walking yet! I then walked 1,500 kms to Santiago, staying in albergues most nights, and had no other encounter. Just read up on them, so you know what to do if you do encounter them. Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.