• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Newbie

O'Neill

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Hi all! I'm new to this Camino.. ie. I have never done one! Basically.. I'm female, 66, an avid cyclist from Ireland. Have done a few solo pannier unsupported trips within Ireland. I would love to cycle Seville to Santiago along the Via de la Plata on & off road, probably alone but am open to having someone, preferably female with me with a similiar mantra. I intend spending at least 3 weeks at this, leisurely, & interested in the history of my surroundings, Late April 2023
Lots of advice needed...this would be my first overseas trip

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all! I'm new to this Camino.. ie. I have never done one! Basically.. I'm female, 66, an avid cyclist from Ireland. Have done a few solo pannier unsupported trips within Ireland. I would love to cycle Seville to Santiago along the Via de la Plata on & off road, probably alone but am open to having someone, preferably female with me with a similiar mantra. I intend spending at least 3 weeks at this, leisurely, & interested in the history of my surroundings, Late April 2023
Lots of advice needed...this would be my first overseas trip
Good luck and Safe Journey.

Welcome!

For a first bike trip abroad and first time camino, the VDLP will be a great adventure! It has a great infrastructure, is largely flat for the first half at least, before it gives way to the hills and mountains of Galicia to the North and it's full of astonishingly well preserved Roman architecture.

It seems to be quite popular with cyclists these days, and from my own observations, often groups of spanish men who do it in 10 to 15 days. This does mean you're not likely to see the same people every day, something to bear in mind. Also, many municipal albergues if you choose to stay in them, give precedence to foot pilgrims, so necessary to arrive a bit later. Not a big deal but again, something to be aware of.. Late April is a great time, before it gets too hot!

Happy planning!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome!

For a first bike trip abroad and first time camino, the VDLP will be a great adventure! It has a great infrastructure, is largely flat for the first half at least, before it gives way to the hills and mountains of Galicia to the North and it's full of astonishingly well preserved Roman architecture.

It seems to be quite popular with cyclists these days, and from my own observations, often groups of spanish men who do it in 10 to 15 days. This does mean you're not likely to see the same people every day, something to bear in mind. Late April is a great time, before it gets too hot!

Happy planning!
Thanks!

@Flog is quite right. The VdlP is the perfect first Camino for someone on a bike. It was my first, at a similar age to you, although I was not an avid cyclist. My Camino took me 21 days, Lea surely as you suggest.
A couple of questions. Are you taking your own bike, if so what kind? Do you intend to follow the walking trail exclusively?

Hi all! I'm new to this Camino.. ie. I have never done one! Basically.. I'm female, 66, an avid cyclist from Ireland. Have done a few solo pannier unsupported trips within Ireland. I would love to cycle Seville to Santiago along the Via de la Plata on & off road,
Just noticed that you answered my last question.😎

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Flog is quite right. The VdlP is the perfect first Camino for someone on a bike. It was my first, at a similar age to you, although I was not an avid cyclist. My Camino took me 21 days, Lea surely as you suggest.
A couple of questions. Are you taking your own bike, if so what kind? Do you intend to follow the walking trail exclusively?
Not necessarily! Am totally open to any advice I will be renting a bike

If you rent, it will be a tough MTB. I rented twice from Triana Backpackers, and was very pleased with their service. They pick up at a bike shop on Rua Nova, central Santiago. They also provided excellent Ortlieb panniers. I wasn’t so pleased that I was given a hefty bike-lock (the U steel variety - very heavy.) Also provided puncture kit and spare tube, not needed in my case.
As a place to start your first bike trip abroad, Seville will dazzle and enchant. Allow a couple of days before hitting the road.
There are many threads for VdlP and cycling. Some very recent. Do a search.
‘Feel free to Message me if you want details. (Tap my avatar, and “Start Conversation”)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome!

It seems to be quite popular with cyclists these days, and from my own observations, often groups of spanish men who do it in 10 to 15 days. This does mean you're not likely to see the same people every day, something to bear in mind. Also, many municipal albergues if you choose to stay in them, give precedence to foot pilgrims, so necessary to arrive a bit later. Not a big deal but again, something to be aware of.. Late April is a great time, before it gets too hot!

Happy planning!
Thank you,!

I will probably we renting a MTB bike, perhaps an e one. I would like to follow the walking trails as much as possible. I have been looking at John Hayes on & off road route. As I say my biggest concern is safety

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"Safety" in what sense - bicycle, traffic, assault, dehydration, getting lost? These concerns would be dealt with in different ways.
As a woman travelling solo, my personal safety regarding assult would be my biggest concern. I was just wondering if this were an issue on any of the remote areas of VDLP

I did part this year from Seville to Caceres. Safety doesn't seem to be uppermost in people's' minds as I came across a number of single peregrinas. You're more likely to have issues with (bl**dy) farm dogs who seem to delight in chasing anything that passes. So work out quickly how to drop a gear.

As regards the route, I gave up off-road on some sections as the MTB was difficult to handle on the rocky soil even with my years of cycling. So don't rule out taking the N630 which is a quiet road when not close to cities - and likely safer.

As regards incidents that have been reported here by peregrinas, they tend to be on the more popular routes like the Portuguese or Francis. Don't think there has been one on the VDLP but others will confirm.

Then there is the very useful "AlertCops" app which you should have on your phone.

I did part this year from Seville to Caceres. Safety doesn't seem to be uppermost in people's' minds as I came across a number of single peregrinas. You're more likely to have issues with (bl**dy) farm dogs who seem to delight in chasing anything that passes. So work out quickly how to drop a gear.

As regards the route, I gave up off-road on some sections as the MTB was difficult to handle on the rocky soil even with my years of cycling. So don't rule out taking the N630 which is a quiet road when not close to cities - and likely safer.

As regards incidents that have been reported here by peregrinas, they tend to be on the more popular routes like the Portuguese or Francis. Don't think there has been one on the VDLP but others will confirm.

Then there is the very useful "AlertCops" app which you should have on your phone.
Thank you very much for that useful information, & the alert cops app,., Don't dogs just hate bikes!😡

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not necessarily! Am totally open to any advice I will be renting a bike
Hola - renting a bike (from my observations - not experience) can be a bit tricky. From posts on the forum going back 4 or 5 (or more) years is that there is a time limit - two weeks, maybe three. Most of the rental companies were set up for the Frances Camino starting from Pamplona. May I suggest that you do some more searching both here on the Forum but also via google. If you do go ahead and rent may I also suggest that you invest in a very, very good/strong bicycle chain and lock. May also suggest that you read some of the post of people who have walked the Via de la Plata. It will give you some ideas of what they have faced - hills, river crossings, on-road & off-road. Best wishes / Buen Camino.

Good luck with your plans. I completed the VDLP in October, it was a challenge, I´m 66 also, but hugely enjoyable. I rode from Sevilla to Gijon as I have walked the Francis to Santiago some years before. I used a hybrid bike with touring tyres, back panniers and handlebar bag for essentials and went almost all the way on the road. The off´-road route just looked a bit daunting to me. The N630 was pretty quiet with light traffic apart from in and out of major towns. There were a lot more long slow climbs than I had anticipated and I had to walk and push the bike uphill quite frequently. Do be prepared for some solitude, I hardly met anyone, only in a few Alberques in the bigger towns. Next year I´m planning to cycle the Francis. Happy to chat more

Good luck with your plans. I completed the VDLP in October, it was a challenge, I´m 66 also, but hugely enjoyable. I rode from Sevilla to Gijon as I have walked the Francis to Santiago some years before. I used a hybrid bike with touring tyres, back panniers and handlebar bag for essentials and went almost all the way on the road. The off´-road route just looked a bit daunting to me. The N630 was pretty quiet with light traffic apart from in and out of major towns. There were a lot more long slow climbs than I had anticipated and I had to walk and push the bike uphill quite frequently. Do be prepared for some solitude, I hardly met anyone, only in a few Alberques in the bigger towns. Next year I´m planning to cycle the Francis. Happy to chat more
Hi there, thank you for your reply. Did you rent your bike & the panniers? If so, Were you pleased with the bike rental? What company did you rent from? I intend starting in Seville too, best wishes

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I live in Spain and used my own bike. I posted it from my local Post Office to the main Post Office in Seville and started from there. There are several very helpful posts on the forum covering transporting a bike around Spain. On my return from Gijon I was able to take the bike on the long distance coach ALSA.

Thank you, ideally I would prefer to have my own bike, I will have to investigate!

Your advice please? Can you send a bicycle via Correos from any post office in Spain and have someone dismantle and pack it for you or is this facility only available in Santiago- and do you have to book this service in advance?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It depends. Some of the larger offices have the boxes but not necessarily the tools (or skills) e.g. Vigo. For smaller offices, Correos advises you order the bike box a few days in advance to ensure one is there. So chances of having tools/skills would be next to zero.

Do you know where you are sending from and to? If you need tools/skills why not try a local cycle shop as they are likely to have all you need. You just need to get it to the Correos office then.

As an alternative try hiring one as the hire company will send and collect it fully assembled.

Thanks for your advice - now heading from Galisteo to Salamanca & Zamora and have contacted a bike shop who has confirmed they will do this for us - will report on our experience. In the meantime my gear cable broke and we called into Le Boutique Bike in Caceres - absolutely brilliant place = cafe + bike work-shop with expert cycling star complete with European race jerseys - cannot recommend highly enough !! Wow!

Thank you, ideally I would prefer to have my own bike, I will have to investigate!
Hi, did you complete the ride or maybe you're still en camino? It's always interesting to know how a novice bicigrino fares especially as parts of the Via de la Plata is not always that easy to ride. Hope you enjoyed the journey. Richard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, did you complete the ride or maybe you're still en camino? It's always interesting to know how a novice bicigrino fares especially as parts of the Via de la Plata is not always that easy to ride. Hope you enjoyed the journey. Richard
We’re midway coping with thunderstorms and sections where services are very scarce - fantastic cycling though !

I'm afraid, I didn't do it, maybe next year. It's still very much on my mind.

Just survived cycling the section from Galisteo to Guijeulo! Mega hairpin climbs and freezing summits so Salamanca is a real treat. Question: advice from anyone who has posted a bike home via Correos. As previously stated - bike shop in Zamora has agreed to dismantle and pack 2 bikes for us 10 euros for box and 25 euros dismantling & packing each - can any confirm that we just have to get this done , carry the boxes round to Correos and fill in forms and pay at the office? I need to be sure there’s nothing unexpected waiting to catch me out?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I have used Correos to ship bikes within Spain, never a problem, generally 2 days, no damage. Are you sending within Spain or to France? What I do is write out details such as name, email address, Correos delivery address (if France assume it will be a Bureau de Poste), mobile number, residence or passport number so there can be no mistake. The office will do all the form filling you just have to sign & pay.

I have always used the Correos bike box, which is pretty generous, but any bike box will be OK though I reckon at €35 / bike the bike shop are charging a hefty fee, there's nothing difficult nor mysterious about packing a bike.

All the best, Richard

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back