• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A night outside in Ribadesella

Shinobi42

Time of past OR future Camino
from Irun to Nueva
from Nueva to Muxia
Hello everyone, my tickets to the Camino del Norte are bought, as a result I will arrive in Ribadesella at 2 am in the middle of the night and want to go by train to Nueva in the next morning to have my first café con leche in the Bar Misaires where I stopped in 2018. My question is, is it allowed to sleep outside at the beach or somewhere else? Because it seems that there is no other alternative at that time. As a boyscout leader I am used to have hikes with tarps and here I would use my self made poncho as shelter, so I do not worry about my comfort. But maybe the local police is not so comfortable about that, because this is a tourist town. What is your opinion?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd be more worried about the tide: Ribadesella beach is really narrow, and the waves can come right up to the wall of the promenade during high tide (see attached pic)

Why not stay in Llanes rather?? The albergue Estacion has 24 hour reception. It's located just behind the Feve station - hence the name. It's only a few stops from Nueva.

Attachments

• OLAS-Santa-Marina-Ribadesellax810.jpg
    OLAS-Santa-Marina-Ribadesellax810.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 28
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very true about the beach. There are lots of hotels and pensions in Ribadesella. I am sure lots of them have a 24hour reception. What if the weather is miserable? I think you would be alot better off going to a hotel or pension. Just my opinion.

Why not stay in Llanes rather?? The albergue Estacion has 24 hour reception. It's located just behind the Feve station - hence the name. It's only a few stops from Nueva.

Thanks for this proposal, I will try to contact this Albergue. Unfortunately I have not found hotels in Ribadesella that offer a check in during the night. It is only possible until 22:00 or earlier. If this does not work then I will try to use the beautiful yellow steel benches at the Ribadesella station. :)

Thanks for this proposal, I will try to contact this Albergue. Unfortunately I have not found hotels in Ribadesella that offer a check in during the night. It is only possible until 22:00 or earlier. If this does not work then I will try to use the beautiful yellow steel benches at the Ribadesella station. :)

Hi Shinobi, may I ask: how are you getting to Ribadesella? By bus? If so, I think most of them will pass through Llanes, as it is a bigger town - so it's unlikely they'll bypass it if you're coming from that direction.

Otherwise, yeah, the Feve benches will need to suffice! Although make sure you look at a map, Ribadesella has an odd layout as there's an estuary right in the centre (so the train station is a fair walk from the centre of town - I'd say about 1km, up the hill).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a ticket for the ALSA bus from Santiago de Compostella to Ribadesella. If the idea with the Albuerge works I will try to change my ticket to go one step further to Llanes. I have been there before. Yes, I have checked the map and the ALSA bus station is not that far away from the train station. Thanks a lot for your support.

I'd be more worried about the tide: Ribadesella beach is really narrow, and the waves can come right up to the wall of the promenade during high tide

Thanks also for that impressive picture. It seems you have prevented a lot of moisture in my tent. :D

I have a ticket for the ALSA bus from Santiago de Compostella to Ribadesella. If the idea with the Albuerge works I will try to change my ticket to go one step further to Llanes.

It seems the 18:00 bus from SdC goes to Llanes (and arrives at 2:16am - I assume this is the one you're on?) - if you can't change your ticket, the connection from Ribadesella is only €2.80. You can also book the Llanes albergue directly on booking.com - like lots of the private albergues on the Norte, it probably gets booked out by groups from time to time, but hopefully you won't have a problem on your dates!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Room is booked and confirmed. Now I will deal with the ALSA ticket. (Yes it is the one). :)

Just for info: It is not possible to enter the bus in Ribadesella during the night, you can only leave it. So ALSA is somehow the opposite to the song Hotel Californa from the Eagles ("... you can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave!") Therefore I could not buy a ticket from Ribadesella to Llanes at that time. The service desk at ALSA advised me to cancel my ticket and get a new one. I got it now (same seat number!) and everything is solved now. This case can be closed and I will surely miss the comfort of the yellow steel benches at the Ribadesella station. Again thanks a lot to Jan_D, I was taught that Scots are stingy like the Germans from Schwaben in the south west, but she gave me good advice in abundance. :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back