• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Novel Idea

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
Originally I had planned to take a bus from Barajas to Pamplona then onto SJPDP. My first day will start at SJPDP and ends at Orrison, and onto Roncesvalles the following morning. Yesterday, a pilgrim posted a non-traditional path that she had taken. Instead of taking the usual bus/taxi from Roncesvalles to SJPDP, she WALKED the Napoleon route to SJPDP, stay the night as usual, then take the Valcarlos route back to Roncesvalles the next day. This way she did not lose anytime, but got to walk both routes! The elevation issue (hiking uphill is) also minimized. I am intrigued and attracted to this new idea. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. BTW, I will land in Barajas March 29. If I walk to SJPDP from Roncesvalles, I'll stay at an alberge in Roncesvalles. Any recommendations?

Buen Camino

Hieu

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola - It isn't something I would do as I prefer to walk the route in the traditional direction! However why not if you want to do it. But you are still going to have to walk up the hill from Roncesvalles and it would mean a total of around 54 kms in the first two days which might not be the best way to start.

Let us know how you get on.

John

not such a novel idea,in the days of yor I presume Pilgrims retraced their steps,how else did they get home?.
I have walked from SJPP twice and each time I have met quite a few people walking in the other direction,even further on you see the odd one or two,they tend to be a bit strange mind but consider what they are doing very traditional in fact in a few places its even marked for those walking "backward".
to me it makes perfect sense what you are thinking of doing-we are there to walk after all so why complicate things by thinking about taxi's or buses-but John is right 54km in two days is a lot you may want to break it up a bit,unless things have changed just the one Albergue in Roncesvalles opens 3pm or 4pm-pay across the road in the pilgrim office and pick up your credencial.
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
JohnnieWalker said:
Hola - It isn't something I would do as I prefer to walk the route in the traditional direction! However why not if you want to do it. But you are still going to have to walk up the hill from Roncesvalles and it would mean a total of around 54 kms in the first two days which might not be the best way to start.

Let us know how you get on.

John
I was contemplating the "novel" idea as there was no direct bus from Pamplona to SJPDP. This week, through the forum, I heard of Express Bourricot. They provide bus services to pilgrims in France and Spain all the way to SJPDP. I have made arrangement with them to go directly from Pamplona to SJPDP for only 18 Euros. So, I'm back to my plan to stay at L'Espirit du Chemin the first night, and stopping at Orrison the following day, before continuing with my camino. That is much better than walking 54 kms the first 2 days!

Buen Camino.

Hieu

in fact in a few places its even marked for those walking "backward"
Most of the Camino Frances is marked for reverse walkers, but forward walkers rarely see the markings unless they turn around and look back. The symbol is usually a blue spiral arrow on the backside of forward yellow arrow markers (plus a lot of random rocks and corners).

In France, grand rondonnee red/white markers go both directions. The French walk whatever direction they want, so want the trail marked to accommodate them.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hieu - I think its a wonderful idea! It might have been a necessary evil 500 years ago but I doubt many do it our modern era.
If I did it that way I would walk the Val Carlos route to St Jean and then the route Napoleon back to Roncesvalles.
I'm sure you have booked your place at L'Esprit (which opens on the 30th March) and Orisson. Both fill up very quickly.
Have a great walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back