• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Novice Pilgrim's Plan....How'm I doing?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
...28 Sept depart Oregon
---29 Sept Arrive Madrid ~ 12PM
---29 Sept flight to Pamplona
--Corazon Puro
--arrive SJPP 30 Sept
--spend night at Beilari, explore SJPP and take all the photos and look around. Rest!
--1 Oct wake up and drink cafe con leche and eat breakfast at Beilari. Begin Camino!
--Arrive Orisson and spend night. Reservations made. 2 Oct onward!

And my pack:
32 L Deuter
Merino short sleeved top--1 / wearing one top
Rain poncho - Altus in pack or wearing
short gators --in pack or wearing
Merino long sleeved top --1
hiking yoga pants (loose) wearing
long pants in pack
hiking shorts for sleeping
bra--1 in pack / 1 wearing
underwear --2 in pack / 1 wearing
socks --2 in pack / 1 pair wearing (smart wool)
Headlamp flashlight (don't worry; I know what not to do)
earplugs
sockliners --2 in pack
fleece jacket in pack or wearing
merino buff--in pack or wearing
basque boots--wearing
crocs --in pack

Toiletries
toothbrush / paste-floss
soap / small container liquid for all uses
small amount tissue / ziplock
medications (required)
body glide stick for feet
moleskin / small quantity
small needle
sheepswool / small quantity
sunscreen / chapstick sun screen

Other
cellphone / charger / adapter
pens / small journal
credencial
passport
additional passport photocopies
money / cards
walking sticks -- Z poles Black Diamond

Attitude
excitement and joy!
happiness, having already met some friends en route to my start!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sleeping bag! I just returned a sleeping sack I'd gotten, as I decided it would not be warm enough. In fact, I think I will throw in light gloves and a light fleece hat as well. Initially, I planned for an early September walk, but my daughter is getting married 19 September. I am packing warmer to accommodate weather through October and the first few weeks of November!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Great plan! Definitely add the gloves. A fleece hat might not be necessary as you have the essential merino buff, but what about a shade hat/visor?

How about towel? I dislike microfiber ones so I take a face cloth and a dish towel, both cotton. (I have short hair.) Having 2 is quite versatile. They dry overnight. I use the face cloth in the morning and then because it is small it can hang on my pack to dry and be aired. Don't take white ones!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good list.
Add a sleeping bag and consider trail runners unless you have well broken in boots and are used to boots.
And personally, I'd dump the gators...
Yeah, the gators are probably really frivolous.

I do have Cascadia trail runners, and will be thinking about them. I work out in Salomon trail runners, but they do something odd to one of my big toes, and think that could cause me some problems later. I'll work with the Cascadias and get them broken in.

My boots are heaven for me. I just love them....but trail runners are lighter, and would probably dry faster, right?

Good list.
Add a sleeping bag and consider trail runners unless you have well broken in boots and are used to boots.
And personally, I'd dump the gators...
Wow I actually feel very honored that you are liking my list though....you are really good at the list thing, and so is C Clearly, and Robo....!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, the gators are probably really frivolous.

I do have Cascadia trail runners, and will be thinking about them. I work out in Salomon trail runners, but they do something odd to one of my big toes, and think that could cause me some problems later. I'll work with the Cascadias and get them broken in.

My boots are heaven for me. I just love them....but trail runners are lighter, and would probably dry faster, right?

Tough call..........if you really do 'love' your boots :)

Tough call..........if you really do 'love' your boots :)
Yes, I expect that decision to go down to the wire, to be honest. They are a waterproof boot, and I have read that such boots a. take forever to dry b. aren't very breathable, but that said, I am starting 1 October, and it may be that they will be suitable for that time of year. It is not quite as hot then.

I just wrapped up an 13 K. hike (a hard one, with lots of ups and downs) and was in my Salomons, but they give me warnings on that big toe, so I will try so walks with the Cascadias. I have some great shoes. Owing to a large foot and attention to comfort and good traction for hiking, I've collected several pairs of great shoes. I have a Keen walking shoe that feels good as well. I will get it figured out!

You sure you haven't done this before or maybe in a prior life? A good well though out list of gear.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I expect that decision to go down to the wire, to be honest. They are a waterproof boot, and I have read that such boots a. take forever to dry b. aren't very breathable, but that said, I am starting 1 October, and it may be that they will be suitable for that time of year. It is not quite as hot then.

I just wrapped up an 13 K. hike (a hard one, with lots of ups and downs) and was in my Salomons, but they give me warnings on that big toe, so I will try so walks with the Cascadias. I have some great shoes. Owing to a large foot and attention to comfort and good traction for hiking, I've collected several pairs of great shoes. I have a Keen walking shoe that feels good as well. I will get it figured out!

Above all..........go for comfort! That small 'niggle' now will be a nightmare after a few days.

It's all about personal preference at the end of the day. I loved my Salomon Boots (Gortex). Saved me from a couple of sprained ankles. They did get a bit hot, but I aired my feet every two hours and did sock changes. No blisters ....

It's a tough choice, only you can make....

The Keens will not last unless they are making them with vibram soles now. The heals and balls of keens wear out in about 250 to 300 miles.

The gators won't be needed unless your hiking in shorts. Once you decide on the shoe/boot your set.
Keep working on training until you leave, build slowly no need to be worn out before you get there. I am very excited to follow you, so please keep us in mind every now & then as you go.
Keith

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Great list!

*I really like these sitting pads, or similar ones.
They really weigh only grams and i find it well worth that extra.

I use it to sit on wet tree stumps or stones or whatever you find to rest your tired feet.
It also protects my pants so I don't rip them on something.
Plus it keeps your pants cleaner, less washing to do!

*How about a hat or cap, maybe even a trek umbrella?
*Don't forget a towel
*A dry bag?; you'll meet some showers were you wonder "how am i gonna keep my clothes dry"
*Cloth pegs or some other solution;
*I won't leave without one of these washing lines; handy when the washing lines are full or to
hang your clothes somewhere inside to dry if it's a rainy day

Last edited:
You sure you haven't done this before or maybe in a prior life? A good well though out list of gear.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Thanks--to be honest, I have been studying nonstop, and reading this forum. I seriously think I've read every entry about packing. I even submitted an early packing list, and had fun watching everyone giggle about it: "where's your sunscreen?" "what, no toothbrush?" "Hey, don't forget some soap, ha ha!"

I've been a backpacker across SE Asia--I bused, trained, hiked, bicycled, and motorcycled, ferried, tuk tukked, taxied my way from BKK, Thailand all around the region--Ko Lipe, Ko Phangan, up to Chang Mai, Chang Rai, across to Laos, down the Mekong River in a speed boat....across the DMZ at the Vietnam Border into that country, down down down to Ho Chi Minh City, and across to P Penh, Cambodia...and to Malaysia..Penang, and Sumatra, and....Anyway, I've lived out of a backpack before, and my previous backpack was much smaller. I carried only minimal clothing, hat, toiletries, and documents. One pair of tennis shoes, and one pair of sandals. Seriously....we were super light with the packs. We were also hotter than hades and doing some major back sweating and etc. The tropics.

I am going to keep an eye on my list, and when I get into mid August, it will be like preparing to go to the hospital. Bag ready.

Today I did my strenuous 8-mile (13 klick) hike. I have lost most of my back fat, and am hoping I can get some off my stomach soon! I hiked in a skirt today and it was annoying to my thighs, so I put my buff on one thigh, and avoided the chafe. Not entirely, but I was very self congratulatory for thinking outside the box. This was after I reasoned with myself that wearing my fleece vest as shorts---with my legs through the arm holes--could qualify me in other's eyes as totally insane! Ha ha! Ready to be rocking some Camino fashion, for sure.

I have noticed in the last few weeks that my strength and endurance are out of the roof. I am hiking at least five miles every other day, and working outside the rest of the time (farm and yard work). My summer body is returning!

Thanks--to be honest, I have been studying nonstop, and reading this forum. I seriously think I've read every entry about packing. I even submitted an early packing list, and had fun watching everyone giggle about it: "where's your sunscreen?" "what, no toothbrush?" "Hey, don't forget some soap, ha ha!"

I've been a backpacker across SE Asia--I bused, trained, hiked, bicycled, and motorcycled, ferried, tuk tukked, taxied my way from BKK, Thailand all around the region--Ko Lipe, Ko Phangan, up to Chang Mai, Chang Rai, across to Laos, down the Mekong River in a speed boat....across the DMZ at the Vietnam Border into that country, down down down to Ho Chi Minh City, and across to P Penh, Cambodia...and to Malaysia..Penang, and Sumatra, and....Anyway, I've lived out of a backpack before, and my previous backpack was much smaller. I carried only minimal clothing, hat, toiletries, and documents. One pair of tennis shoes, and one pair of sandals. Seriously....we were super light with the packs. We were also hotter than hades and doing some major back sweating and etc. The tropics.

I am going to keep an eye on my list, and when I get into mid August, it will be like preparing to go to the hospital. Bag ready.

Today I did my strenuous 8-mile (13 klick) hike. I have lost most of my back fat, and am hoping I can get some off my stomach soon! I hiked in a skirt today and it was annoying to my thighs, so I put my buff on one thigh, and avoided the chafe. Not entirely, but I was very self congratulatory for thinking outside the box. This was after I reasoned with myself that wearing my fleece vest as shorts---with my legs through the arm holes--could qualify me in other's eyes as totally insane! Ha ha! Ready to be rocking some Camino fashion, for sure.

I have noticed in the last few weeks that my strength and endurance are out of the roof. I am hiking at least five miles every other day, and working outside the rest of the time (farm and yard work). My summer body is returning!
I highly recommend that you walk into your Camino, by that I mean start out with short days, less than 20 kilometers a day for the first few days then start adding kilometers every few days until you hit your stride.
Oh and reconsider the Keens. I like them and they are very comfortable but Keen does not make shoes with vibram soles. Mine wore out after 250 to 300 miles of training walks. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

You've got it figured out!! Large safety pins on pack are always handy so that you can easily add damp things.

Good plan! I have the same pack and I absolutely love it. I also suggest bringing diaper pins and maybe some twine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
...28 Sept depart Oregon
---29 Sept Arrive Madrid ~ 12PM
---29 Sept flight to Pamplona
--Corazon Puro
--arrive SJPP 30 Sept
--spend night at Beilari, explore SJPP and take all the photos and look around. Rest!
--1 Oct wake up and drink cafe con leche and eat breakfast at Beilari. Begin Camino!
--Arrive Orisson and spend night. Reservations made. 2 Oct onward!

And my pack:
32 L Deuter
Merino short sleeved top--1 / wearing one top
Rain poncho - Altus in pack or wearing
short gators --in pack or wearing
Merino long sleeved top --1
hiking yoga pants (loose) wearing
long pants in pack
hiking shorts for sleeping
bra--1 in pack / 1 wearing
underwear --2 in pack / 1 wearing
socks --2 in pack / 1 pair wearing (smart wool)
Headlamp flashlight (don't worry; I know what not to do)
earplugs
sockliners --2 in pack
fleece jacket in pack or wearing
merino buff--in pack or wearing
basque boots--wearing
crocs --in pack

Toiletries
toothbrush / paste-floss
soap / small container liquid for all uses
small amount tissue / ziplock
medications (required)
body glide stick for feet
moleskin / small quantity
small needle
sheepswool / small quantity
sunscreen / chapstick sun screen

Other
cellphone / charger / adapter
pens / small journal
credencial
passport
additional passport photocopies
money / cards
walking sticks -- Z poles Black Diamond

Attitude
excitement and joy!
happiness, having already met some friends en route to my start!
Great list!
Are you checking your bag on the flights? If you plan on carrying it on, there's a very high chance they won't let you take your walking sticks. I've heard it both ways, someone always manages to catch airport security on a lax day & gets to keep them, but more often than not they are taken away. You might want to consider buying the walking sticks in SJPP.

Buen Camino!
Maggie

Great list!
Are you checking your bag on the flights? If you plan on carrying it on, there's a very high chance they won't let you take your walking sticks. I've heard it both ways, someone always manages to catch airport security on a lax day & gets to keep them, but more often than not they are taken away. You might want to consider buying the walking sticks in SJPP.

Buen Camino!
Maggie

Maggie--do they have decent light walking sticks? I use Z Poles (B. Diamond) and like them---very light, but sturdy. I don't hike without them anymore....

Maggie--do they have decent light walking sticks? I use Z Poles (B. Diamond) and like them---very light, but sturdy. I don't hike without them anymore....
I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly what kind of poles you'd find :(
I'm going to buy my walking poles in Madrid, hoping I'll find something decent & not too expensive.
Maybe someone on this forum has purchased some in SJPP & could share what they found? :)
Otherwise, if you don't want to chance buying them in Spain, you might want to check a small bag with your poles when you fly.
Buen Camino,
Maggie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also use the Black Diamond Z poles and really like that I can put them inside or on-side my pack without them protruding. I will probably check a small parcel containing my poles, Swiss army knife and sleeping bag. (By checking the sleeping bag, I reduce the bulk of my carry-on luggage, just for my own and others' convenience on the flight.) If I didn't want the SA knife, I might try to carry on the poles, folded in my pack. If my checked bag is delayed (not an unusual occurrence) then I can happily sightsee for an extra day in Paris or Biarritz until it catches up. Or in the VERY unlikely scenario that it goes missing, at least I'll only have to replace 3 items. It's certainly possible that you can buy those poles in Spain, but I wouldn't want to be scouring the stores hunting for a special item at that time.

I also use the Black Diamond Z poles and really like that I can put them inside or on-side my pack without them protruding. I will probably check a small parcel containing my poles, Swiss army knife and sleeping bag. (By checking the sleeping bag, I reduce the bulk of my carry-on luggage, just for my own and others' convenience on the flight.) If I didn't want the SA knife, I might try to carry on the poles, folded in my pack. If my checked bag is delayed (not an unusual occurrence) then I can happily sightsee for an extra day in Paris or Biarritz until it catches up. Or in the VERY unlikely scenario that it goes missing, at least I'll only have to replace 3 items. It's certainly possible that you can buy those poles in Spain, but I wouldn't want to be scouring the stores hunting for a special item at that time.
Not a bad idea.
I too enjoy my Swiss Army knife. I would not want to wait around for a lost bag. I have considered sending my poles and knife to SJPP via post restante' and wonder how many others have done that?

Why not email the owner of the Boutique de Pelerin/Direction Compostelle shop in SJPdP re the poles you are seeking? He is a veteran camino walker and most helpful. By asking you will know what stock they have and the price. See this web for his email address.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would certainly add a pair of light gloves as it can be quite cold on a morning. Nappy pins for attaching washing to lines or your pack to dry and I also took a swiss army card - its light weight and had knife, screwdriver (for spec repairs), tooth pick, nail file on it. It was very useful, lighter than a traditional swiss army knife and would fit in any pocket easily.
Buen camino

CaminoDebrita how much does your pack weigh with everything on your current list? Just curious.

About 7 kilograms. I think I can lighten it more, though. My clothing is mostly merino wool or very light.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hiked yesterday for 8 m. (13k.) with about six kilos in my pack (including 16 oz water). Went okay. That's about all I'd really like to carry, though.

I wore HiTech waterproof boots with gaiters. IMHO gaiters will be the first thing in my pack next trip. Keep gravel/snow out your boots, laces don't get hooked on vegetation, and socks stay dry (in summer may be too warm but I walked in Feb). A tip I got off the forum - with waterproof boots use ultra thin 'pantyliners' as inner soles. They absorb moisture, weigh nothing. Changed the liners every 2nd or 3rd day. Never had damp/smelly boots. Simple and effective. I wore thin sock liners and thick socks. Changed inner socks daily and thick ones every second day. No blisters either.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back