• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A 'once in a lifetime' experience?

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Time of past OR future Camino
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
Earlier this summer, in Calzadilla de la Cueza, I met a woman who was walking to Santiago from her home in Belgium. She had taken leave from work in order to do so, and was adamant that she would not undertake the journey a second time. Like a medieval pilgrim, she said, 'you only do it once in a lifetime'. Medieval pilgrims, having gained their hard-won indulgence and possibly lost their health and strength in the process, were most unlikely to return, but what motivates modern-day pilgrims to become serial long-distance walkers? Who has walked all the way from home, and maybe even back again, more than once, and why did you feel the need to go the proverbial second mile?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From home would be impossible as Canada and Spain have this rather large body of water in the way. Having said that, I started my first Camino in May, and I will return in October.
I have never before been bitten by a bug like this, Camino calls to me. She is a siren whose embrace I need and desire.

After returning home, I realize that there is nothing here for me anymore. I dislike city life. I love my friends here, and I made better get back to the self examination tha friends on Camino.

I want to get back to the self examination that I started on the CF. I thought I had done enough when I came back to Canada, and I now realize I haven't.

I forgave others. I rationalized relationships. I grieved for my mother.
I did not forgive myself. I need to do that somehow.

There is a saying that is meant to be funny, but there is truth in it - "The only common factor in all your failed relationships is you."

So I think this time, if Camino provides, that will be my topic of conversation with myself. I deserve to be a better me than I am right now.

Like a medieval pilgrim, she said, 'you only do it once in a lifetime'. Medieval pilgrims, having gained their hard-won indulgence and possibly lost their health and strength in the process, were most unlikely to return,

Judging by Chaucer's Wife of Bath, we serial camino offenders existed in mediaeval times as well -

And thries hadde she been at Jerusalem;
She hadde passed many a straunge strem;
At Rome she hadde been, and at Boloigne,
In Galice at Seint-Jame, and at Coloigne.

Three times to Jerusalem in the 14th century makes my few passages to Seint-Jame look positively feeble. Perhaps I'm not as addicted as I thought.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Judging by Chaucer's Wife of Bath, we serial camino offenders existed in mediaeval times as well -

And thries hadde she been at Jerusalem;
She hadde passed many a straunge strem;
At Rome she hadde been, and at Boloigne,
In Galice at Seint-Jame, and at Coloigne.

Three times to Jerusalem in the 14th century makes my few passages to Seint-Jame look positively feeble. Perhaps I'm not as addicted as I thought.

It may be a relief to your loved ones if your passages to Seint-Jame seem feeble in comparison. The Wife of Bath was indeed a serial offender in various walks of life. She was not only a serial pilgrim but also a serial wife and widow in search of a newer candidate for, ahem, coronation en route: 'Housbondes at chirche dore I have had fyve.../Welcome the sixte, whan that evere he shal.' As an unrepentant 'kiss and tell' storyteller she caused considerable consternation to her fellow travellers and great amusement to generations of irreverent students.

Last edited:
From home would be impossible as Canada and Spain have this rather large body of water in the way. Having said that, I started my first Camino in May, and I will return in October.
I have never before been bitten by a bug like this, Camino calls to me. She is a siren whose embrace I need and desire.

After returning home, I realize that there is nothing here for me anymore. I dislike city life. I love my friends here, and I made better get back to the self examination tha friends on Camino.

I want to get back to the self examination that I started on the CF. I thought I had done enough when I came back to Canada, and I now realize I haven't.

I forgave others. I rationalized relationships. I grieved for my mother.
I did not forgive myself. I need to do that somehow.

There is a saying that is meant to be funny, but there is truth in it - "The only common factor in all your failed relationships is you."

So I think this time, if Camino provides, that will be my topic of conversation with myself. I deserve to be a better me than I am right now.

Thanks for the illuminating reply. The continents may be oceans apart, but it seems that you are on the right road. Best wishes for your return journey.

Who has walked all the way from home, and maybe even back again, more than once, and why did you feel the need to go the proverbial second mile?

@Paladina a good question.
When I started at Le Puy April 2016 it was my intention to finish at Muxia / Finisterra. But pulled right thigh muscles just after Pamplona put paid to that.

But the bug stayed with me. While recovering in London, I managed to complete a pilgrimage starting at Southwark Cathedral (on the south - or right - bank of the Thames in the middle of London) to Canterbury Cathedral.

And in less than a fortnight I return to my stopping place last year in Spain to complete (I hope) last years intention.

To my mind you have identified corrrectly the key player in relationships that go astray. And I hope, like you, my refelctions when walking last year have seen changes in me for the better these last 12 months.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Canada and Spain have this rather large body of water in the way.

@G_the_D , you will notice as well as sharing the same Head of State we also share having a large body of water between home and start place. In several converstations in 2016 the other asked where I came from.

After my reply quite a few were silent for a moment while they mentally recovered their geography lessons.

When their face lit up with their success I would add "and I swam here" with appropriate arm motions. At this stage the faces of most creased into a broad smile as we both enjoyed the moment.

Surprsingly, one or two seemed to take my statement at face value, so they were given my (supposed) route of across the underbelly of Australia, around the bottom of Africa and so into the Atlantic and up to Spain.

"]I forgave others. I rationalized relationships. I grieved for my mother.
I did not forgive myself. I need to do that

/g_the_d, buen Camino. You know what you need.

Practically speaking, I totally get why Belgium to Santiago would be 'you only do it once in a lifetime' experience! I did some of that journey by bike and it would take a serious amount of mental willpower to walk that route. I can't imagine doing it twice :)

Interesting question. Serial long-distance walkers I totally understand, there is a simplicity to the walking life which forces you to focus on the here and now and makes you appreciate the basics like good food and comfortable place to sleep. Serial CF walkers I kind of get but it's also not for me. The experience was special, once day I might walk that way again simply because as a single person its relatively easy, you can walk very short days, it's safe, there's infrastructure, nice company and so on... but there are so many other places to explore in the world...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's easy to beat yourself up, but you are working on a new path. Take some good feeling from that, and keep putting one foot in front of the other...

I am currently walking Camino Frances and having the time of my life. I am doing it for my 70th birthday, which I celebrated in Pamplona. I give thanks that everyday I have woken up feeling good and ready to walk, my body has held up so well and I have no problems, except for an occasional ache or pain that a few stretches fix. That said, this is a once in a lifetime experience for me and I have no desire to do it again. I think I may be disappointed a second time as my expectations would be so high after this fabulous experience. Don't get me wrong. I will keep walking but there are so many other great places to walk.

I think I may be disappointed a second time as my expectations would be so high after this fabulous experience. Don't get me wrong. I will keep walking but there are so many other great places to walk.

@Gromit I know the feeling only too well. You can see from my time line I have other routes and destinations to add to the variety.

I got such buzz walking from Le Puy-en-Velay (at age 74 in 2016 and an extreme introvert) to Estella and meeting and talking with so many people (quite a few more than once) that a repeat any time soon would likely be a severe let down.

So next week I return to Estella-Lizzara and, when done at Muxia / Fisterra, to walk from Fort William to Whithorn, with Glasgow in the middle.

And a long term view, having walked from Southwark Cathedral beside the Thames in central London to Rochester Cathedral to Canterbury Cathedral, of walking from Canterbury Cathedral to Saint Peters Basilica, Rome. This route has a lot less focused infrastructure than the routes from Le Puy and Saint-Jean. So, if it happens, it will be in three or four sections spread over that many years. Especially as I have found autumn is the best, more settled season for walking.

And, no, I don't walk with a (glass of cranberry juice - earlier avatar) ice cream held to my lips all the time.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

edited January 2019 to reflect a change of avatar

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah...but let me know how you feel when you are done and back home. Let me know if something you didn't expect happens...a calling from the Camino for you to come back. You may never go back...but, you may want to...time will tell. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back