A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

A 'One Word' Why?

2020 Camino Guides

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco(2017) Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(2019) CF
OhGosh! Still struggling with the idea of mentioning bedbugs...lol I've encouraged students to go and seek knowledge, research , and return with questions and maybe some surprise revelations at the last class. Bedbugs has come up in every single one of my other presentations ( easily 3 dozen engagements ) ...I'm sure someone will bring up those little buggers...lol

Botaivica

Camino(s) past & future
May - July 2016
SJPP - Santiago - Finisterra
May 2017
Caminho do Tejo
June 2017
Fatima - Santiago
the first is call
then came peace
and love
and at the end satisfaction

for me, all that is one feeling.

Finisterre

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria 2001,
Porto 2006,
Valenca 2008,
Finisterre 2010,
SJdPP 2012,
Tui 2014.

No plans to return, yet.
Meditation

TaraWalks

Peregrina without a skateboard
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016 & 2018, planning for Le Puy 2019/2020ish and for some shorter Caminos stacked
Mornings :)

JessArmstrong

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances End of March/April 2020 from SJPDP to Santiago de Compostela
Absence.

Or maybe Saudade for the closest synonym I can think of in the Camino Spirit.

Sglam

Camino(s) past & future
2013, fall 2019
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...
Thank you one and all for the help throughout...

Clarr

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...

Quest

Tony Lenton

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles (2018)
Camino Frances ( from Ponferrada 2019)

So, one word of WHY...

Last edited by a moderator:

E V Waight

It's the journey, not the destination.
Camino(s) past & future
September (2017)
Possible September (2018)
Holy Year (2021) (all three Gladys, John and I)

So, one word of WHY...
Reflection

Attachments

Michelle G Daoust

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, SJPP to Santiago (2014)
Caminho Portuguese, Lisbon to Santiago (2017)
I do a yearly talk about my latest Camino at out local library each year and get paid a small honorarium. I'd happily do it for free, but being retired now it all helps.
Close to one hundred people turned up last year to my talk.
Set to do it again this April.
Love getting the subsequent emails from those that were inspired to go after attending one of my talks.
Hi Jill. My husband and I, who have walked two Caminos (SJPP to Santiago) and Lisbon to Santiago are planning on offering a similar ‘talk‘ at our local library. We are excited about this prospect and being new to the town we recently moved to, will hopefully connect with those who have walked and those who wish-to-walk. Are there any tips you can offer, having done your talk each year? Things you wish you had done at the beginning of your talks? Do you bring in your ‘gear’ to show what you brought? Slides? Resources etc? Would love to hear any thoughts you have for others wishing to share their experience in a larger venue. Many thanks, Michelle

Stephen S

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona to Burgos - April 2018
Burgos to Santiago - March/April 2019

So, one word of WHY...

Stephen S

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona to Burgos - April 2018
Burgos to Santiago - March/April 2019

So, one word of WHY...
Solitude (in the company of others)

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2008 09 14
Del Norte 2011. Portuguese 2015, 2017Ingles 2015 Fisterre 2015.

So, one word of WHY...
Put the word “This” beside any picture you have.

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2008 09 14
Del Norte 2011. Portuguese 2015, 2017Ingles 2015 Fisterre 2015.

So, one word of WHY...
🥖 bread

HSkogerson

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese (2018)

So, one word of WHY...
Maybe I missed it, but did you say where you teach this class?! I think the class sounds lovely. To me, it brings to light the fact that so many of us are seeking to hear other’s stories, to gain a deeper connection. Such goodness!
My word is—
Deepening
(and Connection, to myself and my family) ❤
1581792653582.jpeg

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC

Aysen Mustafa

Camino(s) past & future
I plan on walking the Camino April 2018.
did you mean 'dawn'?

So, one word of WHY...

Aysen Mustafa

Camino(s) past & future
I plan on walking the Camino April 2018.
I'm going to post several one word reponses:
mindfulness
decision-making
self-reflection
realisation
peace

PEI_Heather

Canadian Member
Camino(s) past & future
2016 - Voie de la Nive
2012, 2016 - Frances
2013 - Portuguese
2012, 2013 - Finesterre & Muxia
At this time I've walked three times to Santiago on a Camino walk. Fingers crossed I'll go back this coming October for another time.
I have three words to be read together for each Camino walk that together will give you my answer for 'Why?':

Deep
Existential
Joy

Last edited:

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Direction

sdevine

Camino Frances 2019, and planning 2020
Camino(s) past & future
4/26/2019 - 6/12/2019, planning 2020
The why..... the camino calls to you, solitude, reflection, the beauty of nature, silence so you can actually hear your existence, the wind, the world, your own footsteps, developing community and fellowship with pilgrims, from across the world, people with like spirits...to exist in this world as humans have since the beginning of time. you find how light you feel, and how time and days cease to exist. As i look back at my Pilgrimage on Camino Frances in May 2019.. i found such happiness... a happiness i had forgotten was within me...exploring and seeing the world with a sense of wonder, and discovery around every corner or through each hamlet, alburgue... Imagine finding your self walking alone through a eucalyptus forest that pilgrims before you have walked since the ninth century, Awestruck... in amazement that it’s actually possible to experience such a moment in this world, in this life.

Laughter and light heartiness seemed to engulf me, even while dealing with all the injuries i already brought with me, but also the ones endured while on the camino...blisters, aching knee..it was all just simple and honest, as if what we know as time didn't exist.. 3 months seemed much more like years in time as we know it (as i look back). Your perspective of life changes and you see the world so differently when you return back to your previous life, and you wonder the “why” of that way of living.. i will forever be connected to the camino and all my fellow pilgrims, i am thankful for all the kindness shown to me by pilgrims along the way. Forever greatful, humbled and living the happiest as i can each day... already plan to go back in June 2020. I would say don’t take my explanation of the “why” discover your own why.... Buen Camino

Attachments

Last edited:

gamboa

Camino(s) past & future
St Jean to Logrono (April, 2016)
Meditation

So, one word of WHY...

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)

So, one word of WHY...

Introspective

Denver Bob

Camino(s) past & future
First halfCamino Frances (2015)
Second Half Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2017)

So, one word of WHY...
Freedom

GailGwyn

Camino(s) past & future
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)

So, one word of WHY...
FREEDOM!

susan1971

Camino(s) past & future

So, one word of WHY...
Transformational

Alg.grobbelaar

Camino(s) past & future
2020 planned from France

So, one word of WHY...
Growth

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 365 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock