• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A 'One Word' Why?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OhGosh! Still struggling with the idea of mentioning bedbugs...lol I've encouraged students to go and seek knowledge, research , and return with questions and maybe some surprise revelations at the last class. Bedbugs has come up in every single one of my other presentations ( easily 3 dozen engagements ) ...I'm sure someone will bring up those little buggers...lol

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
the first is call
then came peace
and love
and at the end satisfaction

for me, all that is one feeling.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...
Thank you one and all for the help throughout...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...

Quest

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

So, one word of WHY...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

So, one word of WHY...
Reflection

Attachments

• 20170920_191329.jpg
    20170920_191329.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20170930_154753.jpg
    20170930_154753.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20171001-WA0097.jpg
    IMG-20171001-WA0097.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 11
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do a yearly talk about my latest Camino at out local library each year and get paid a small honorarium. I'd happily do it for free, but being retired now it all helps.
Close to one hundred people turned up last year to my talk.
Set to do it again this April.
Love getting the subsequent emails from those that were inspired to go after attending one of my talks.
Hi Jill. My husband and I, who have walked two Caminos (SJPP to Santiago) and Lisbon to Santiago are planning on offering a similar ‘talk‘ at our local library. We are excited about this prospect and being new to the town we recently moved to, will hopefully connect with those who have walked and those who wish-to-walk. Are there any tips you can offer, having done your talk each year? Things you wish you had done at the beginning of your talks? Do you bring in your ‘gear’ to show what you brought? Slides? Resources etc? Would love to hear any thoughts you have for others wishing to share their experience in a larger venue. Many thanks, Michelle

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

So, one word of WHY...

So, one word of WHY...
Solitude (in the company of others)

So, one word of WHY...
Put the word “This” beside any picture you have.

So, one word of WHY...
🥖 bread

So, one word of WHY...

Maybe I missed it, but did you say where you teach this class?! I think the class sounds lovely. To me, it brings to light the fact that so many of us are seeking to hear other’s stories, to gain a deeper connection. Such goodness!
My word is—
Deepening
(and Connection, to myself and my family) ❤
1581792653582.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
did you mean 'dawn'?

So, one word of WHY...

Perseverance (went back second time after injury)
Confidence booster

Attachments

• C10A77AB-8E8F-4E4C-B28F-5AD7A5B73658.jpeg
    C10A77AB-8E8F-4E4C-B28F-5AD7A5B73658.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
At this time I've walked three times to Santiago on a Camino walk. Fingers crossed I'll go back this coming October for another time.
I have three words to be read together for each Camino walk that together will give you my answer for 'Why?':

Deep
Existential
Joy

Last edited:
Direction

The why..... the camino calls to you, solitude, reflection, the beauty of nature, silence so you can actually hear your existence, the wind, the world, your own footsteps, developing community and fellowship with pilgrims, from across the world, people with like spirits...to exist in this world as humans have since the beginning of time. you find how light you feel, and how time and days cease to exist. As i look back at my Pilgrimage on Camino Frances in May 2019.. i found such happiness... a happiness i had forgotten was within me...exploring and seeing the world with a sense of wonder, and discovery around every corner or through each hamlet, alburgue... Imagine finding your self walking alone through a eucalyptus forest that pilgrims before you have walked since the ninth century, Awestruck... in amazement that it’s actually possible to experience such a moment in this world, in this life.

Laughter and light heartiness seemed to engulf me, even while dealing with all the injuries i already brought with me, but also the ones endured while on the camino...blisters, aching knee..it was all just simple and honest, as if what we know as time didn't exist.. 3 months seemed much more like years in time as we know it (as i look back). Your perspective of life changes and you see the world so differently when you return back to your previous life, and you wonder the “why” of that way of living.. i will forever be connected to the camino and all my fellow pilgrims, i am thankful for all the kindness shown to me by pilgrims along the way. Forever greatful, humbled and living the happiest as i can each day... already plan to go back in June 2020. I would say don’t take my explanation of the “why” discover your own why.... Buen Camino

Attachments

• EDB69AE7-0FFA-480F-8702-DFCD7A269BC8.jpeg
    EDB69AE7-0FFA-480F-8702-DFCD7A269BC8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 56356F7A-F838-438C-A7B7-5B7B88B2CF71.jpeg
    56356F7A-F838-438C-A7B7-5B7B88B2CF71.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 16CE3F80-3286-4AE7-A416-74C81798D889.jpeg
    16CE3F80-3286-4AE7-A416-74C81798D889.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • A7BCB4A2-0325-4C4A-8FDE-3690431FBD83.jpeg
    A7BCB4A2-0325-4C4A-8FDE-3690431FBD83.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 11
  • 448337DE-83A2-48F2-902E-B22C62B1CCA1.jpeg
    448337DE-83A2-48F2-902E-B22C62B1CCA1.jpeg
    834.9 KB · Views: 11
  • A80B2DD0-9BE7-41C1-99B4-26D8D49544C2.jpeg
    A80B2DD0-9BE7-41C1-99B4-26D8D49544C2.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 3E062A7F-7E2C-4BA8-A1E9-92558793EFD9.jpeg
    3E062A7F-7E2C-4BA8-A1E9-92558793EFD9.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 6CDB5FFD-C729-4166-9C35-FD52B4F2A62B.jpeg
    6CDB5FFD-C729-4166-9C35-FD52B4F2A62B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 81753660-C53B-40BE-9E1B-AD69AAB4162E.jpeg
    81753660-C53B-40BE-9E1B-AD69AAB4162E.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 0B439015-B93D-4F69-8E9F-AAD28949E2A3.jpeg
    0B439015-B93D-4F69-8E9F-AAD28949E2A3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Meditation

So, one word of WHY...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

So, one word of WHY...

Introspective

So, one word of WHY...
Freedom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

So, one word of WHY...
FREEDOM!

So, one word of WHY...
Transformational

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

So, one word of WHY...
Growth

Contemplation

Attachments

• E2C9A0C3-A4E6-44D7-A0E0-0A4C1FF44060.jpeg
    E2C9A0C3-A4E6-44D7-A0E0-0A4C1FF44060.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
But i could also say

Surrender
(Santo Domingo de la Calzada)

Attachments

• 1EC343BB-05C0-493A-99EC-59339721F6AB.jpeg
    1EC343BB-05C0-493A-99EC-59339721F6AB.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
JOY
So many reasons!!!

Attachments

• A5FC8907-222C-4283-9A70-3174AEE315B7.jpeg
    A5FC8907-222C-4283-9A70-3174AEE315B7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back