• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A 'One Word' Why?

I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...
Thank you one and all for the help throughout...
Simplicity

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two words ..."Why not?"

It reveals when you at the camino, for me is not why but WHEN. I'm still at home waiting the final push since 2015. I'm going everywhere since , climbing the Rinjani (Lombok), Ibiza and other countries, but not the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting idea would love to see the presentation
My one word(s) are:
Absence (the absence of choice--one road/black or white coffee--is a great freedom)
Questions (there are not answers on the Camino only questions)
Time (time to mentally detox, reflect and appreciate)
Ego (the Camino is a great leveller of the ego )
Purpose (walking every day gives your life a purpose)
Fun (despite all the lofty ideals the Camino is great fun)
Fellowship (the people you meet--amazing)
Listening (to the silence in the early morning and the crunch crunch of your feet as you walk)
Blisters (a great topic of conversation and ice-breaker)
Nationality (it does not matter on the Camino--we are all one)
History (you are walking the path of over 1000 years of history, makes you feel insignificant)
Metaphor (the Camino is a great metaphor for life)
Gratitude ( for the fact of having health in my mid-60s to be able to do it for the 4th time)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For me this was the most emotional moment on the walk from SJPDP, ACHIEVEMENT, relief, pilgrimage, a reordered mind and tears. A pilgrimage
Complete.

Attachments

• A860B4B4-3B9E-4FCE-B618-A008403BF8B2.jpeg
    A860B4B4-3B9E-4FCE-B618-A008403BF8B2.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 9
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fulfilment

1586101174620.png

Walking the whole day, old pals joining up, the perfect meal prepared by a loving cook (Mama).
7+ Nations, all munching..

Food:

1586101370894.png

Giggles

1586101425697.png

Synergy ( the Granon experience)

Donativo

Last edited:
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" .... I broke down my course into .... Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim.

Can't help myself: just who is it that rates inclusion on your list of "celebrity walkers"?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can't help myself: just who is it that rates inclusion on your list of "celebrity walkers"?
The term "celebrity" meaning people others would recognize outside of a camino context... Kings, Queens, Writers, Saints, Screen Stars, Political leaders....Not exactly any 'rating' for inclusion, just interesting...a broad view of 'people' on the camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...
Thank you one and all for the help throughout...
My one word of "WHY"...healing. praying cruz de ferro.jpg
Sounds like an amazing class. Wish I could be a part of it!! Feel free to share my videos with your students. My channel is not monetized. I just enjoy recording my travels. Buen camino!
My Way - Camino de Santiago
El Camino de Santiago: A mi manera
Camino de Santiago-(more highlights) No. 3
Camino de Santiago No. 4

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes - where is this course?
My course was offered at the local university. It was a 6 week ( 2 hours per week ) introduction to the Camino offered as a non-credit course. It was a huge success! I was blessed with a wonderfully full class of 25, very interested and interesting older adults who attended every single class and lingered afterwards for more questions. In that class were committee members from the university auditing my class for content and merit with hopes it will be approved for a full-time, full credit humanities class to college students. I have since been invited back to present the full course again in the fall and will also plan a one day workshop on the Camino Ingles & Portuguese for those who have previously attended the last course.
We were so fortunate and blessed to have had the opportunity to attend every class before any threat of virus closed down the world. Many have written since stating they have been keeping busy with researching and planning a camino dream for the future!
Fingers crossed that the curriculum committee resumes at some point and approves my course ( looking forward to expanding it further and developing a grade requirement )

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back