• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A pandemic hobby

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've done puzzles, sewn masks and baked bread. (still haven't perfected the sourdough though 😄)
Now I'm painting Camino stones and placing them in a popular hiking area near my home.

View attachment 77748
What nicer way could you spend your time?...both the 'doing' & the 'placing'...& they are sure to bring a smile to those who encounter them. 👼
👣 🌏

Made 5 different styles of mask, to find one I liked, and then made several of them. I've done mending of various things, read a couple of books that have been waiting on my shelf for ages, and spend a LOT of time on the internet. My sourdough is as perfect as can be, because every loaf is different and a surprise, as it should be! Mostly I've been taking care of the garden. Currently I am staining and finishing the many parts for an wooden Adirondack chair, and soon I will need to assemble it. Then I have a second chair to do.

On my walks I see various painted stones, but I haven't seen any camino-themed ones yet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done puzzles, sewn masks and baked bread. (still haven't perfected the sourdough though 😄)
Now I'm painting Camino stones and placing them in a popular hiking area near my home.

View attachment 77748
They are lovely...you are so creative! What a great and fun idea!

Made 5 different styles of mask, to find one I liked, and then made several of them. I've done mending of various things, read a couple of books that have been waiting on my shelf for ages, and spend a LOT of time on the internet. My sourdough is as perfect as can be, because every loaf is different and a surprise, as it should be! Mostly I've been taking care of the garden. Currently I am staining and finishing the many parts for an wooden Adirondack chair, and soon I will need to assemble it. Then I have a second chair to do.

On my walks I see various painted stones, but I haven't seen any camino-themed ones yet.
Amazing energy!...but I shouldn't be surprised...especially for an ageless woman.😉

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What I haven't done/never started:

Kept up with my German language lessons
Stopped my Italian lessons (well we couldn't go to Pompeii so . . . )
Read the stack of 12 books I set to one side (1 1/2 out of 12 isn't bad though, is it?)
Decluttered the box room/study

What I have done:

Made about 20 "Olsen" style masks for friends and family
Dropped Sourdough in favour of the sponge method (less hassle, don't have to keep feeding that whiny, dependent sourdough starter)
Kept up my Ham radio studies (exam on 15th July)
Improved my harmonica playing
Joined an online ukulele group
Gardening - the garden has never looked so neat
Learned to whistle with two fingers in my mouth (responsibly washing my hands before and afterwards)
Perfected my fruit scones (for those in the US think sweetened dinner "biscuit" containing sultanas, split in half and smothered with thick cream and strawberry jam - jelly to you)
Aced a Scottish shortbread biscuit (cookie) recipe

Put on weight

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pandemic hobbies - I’m currently stranded in Cyprus away from my own home in Scotland

Yoga with Adriene
Lots and lots of reading including Camino books
Planning walking the VdlP
Keeping up my daily Spanish Practice
Working (not paid work, voluntary) three hours a day on writing the local bird report
Walking whenever I can...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Read the stack of 12 books I set to one side (1 1/2 out of 12 isn't bad though, is it?)

What I have done:

Dropped Sourdough in favour of the sponge method (less hassle, don't have to keep feeding that whiny, dependent sourdough starter)
Learned to whistle with two fingers in my mouth (responsibly washing my hands before and afterwards)
Perfected my fruit scones (for those in the US think sweetened dinner "biscuit" containing sultanas, split in half and smothered with thick cream and strawberry jam - jelly to you)

Put on weight
Good Luck on your HAM exam. N8XZN

jigsaw puzzles, most of the way through The Body by Bill Bryson - I just love his sense of humour, hilariously disastrous attempts at making desserts, fail safe brown bread recipe, turning trudgery into something much more positive, revived weekly contact with childhood friends, family zooms with certain regularity, sticking with a virtual CF, thanks to Jeff and fellow pilgrims... that's enough to bore you all!

I mistakenly thought this was a boring subject. Was I wrong! And I see we are all pretty much in the same boat! For me: Managing the Beilari FaceBook page including a little fundraising program and managing the big volunteer effort that got totally cancelled, working on the American Pilgrims on the Camino Grants Committee, cooking stuff I would never dare before, starting a vegetable garden in pots, hiking two times a week (wish it were more), cleaning and re-arranging cupboard.....all the same stuff as you see! Buen Camino, everyone!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The beginnings of the future Covidyard-19 vintage wine, inspired by Covid-19 isolation and the concrete trellis system of Galicia. The vines are Black Spanish hybrid grape vines (lots of disease problems in the South, so hybrid grapes are dominant) that produce (hopefully) a merlot type red wine. Come back in 3-4 years (or meet me on the Camino) to hear about what may be the most expensive bottle of wine in Atlanta.

Attachments

• 6.27.20.JPG
    6.27.20.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 16
I mistakenly thought this was a boring subject. Was I wrong! And I see we are all pretty much in the same boat! For me: Managing the Beilari FaceBook page including a little fundraising program and managing the big volunteer effort that got totally cancelled, working on the American Pilgrims on the Camino Grants Committee, cooking stuff I would never dare before, starting a vegetable garden in pots, hiking two times a week (wish it were more), cleaning and re-arranging cupboard.....all the same stuff as you see! Buen Camino, everyone!!
I have also started gardening in pots. I never knew how many different plants will grow well: tomatoes, squash, beets, and most importantly -- Pimientos de Padron (lots of them!) 😊

Jeff, GM7DMN, N8XZN, QSL from EA5EBO

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just FYI, scones are easily available at most coffee shops here (in the last 10 years), and jam and jelly are used interchangeably in US English to describe the same thing. I’m impressed with your list though, but I would’ve ripped through those books. My local library is recently open, but still very difficult to use.
Jam is jam and jelly is jelly. Jelly is without seeds or pulp.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have also started gardening in pots. I never knew how many different plants will grow well: tomatoes, squash, beets, and most importantly -- Pimientos de Padron (lots of them!) 😊
I just bought a Pimientos de Padrón plant at my local growers market. I think that I may have to go back and get more 😊

I just bought a Pimientos de Padrón plant at my local growers market. I think that I may have to go back and get more 😊
I think you do need more. I started mine from seed in March. I have 16 of them and we will be overrun with peppers by the end of next week. I stopped baking bread because we were eating too much, but I may have to start again to soak up all that wonderful olive oil from cooking the peppers. 😂

In a posting above (since deleted) the problem of getting library books was mentioned.
May I point you all towards the Libby App?

Available for Android and Apple devices it's a free app to download. You simply plug in the number of your library card, nominate your library and you can then download up to 12 books at any one time to be read on the ebook reader or reading app of your choice.

You're not limited to your local library either - I've borrowed books from Australia and Canada. No fines for late returns (you either renew or they go back automatically), no worries about germ ridden books and no sticky jam (or jelly) fingerprints either!

📚📓📘📗📕📙📔

Lots of gardening this spring. Planted a ton (over 100 4" pots) of Blue Star Creeper as ground cover in 4 ft wide planter beds along 200 ft. of fence in back yard. It has grown into a wonderful blanket, keeping out most of the weeds. The Hostas are getting so big, they are covering up all the violas- (not a good thing). My dentist asked me about last year's camino, and how lucky I was to have done it in 2019, about 4 months before our world got turned upside down! He's right. I had planned on doing a 3rd camino this summer/fall and taking my time- maybe just doing 12 - 15 kilometers per day, and exploring all the places just off the camino that are usually passed by without stopping to smell the roses. Not going to happen- maybe next year - but not sure the "Holy Year" crowds would be fun. We all may have been the last peregrinos to enjoy the camino frances in all it's exquisite glory. It's probably not going to be the same. So thanks for 2018 and 2019!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200604_145522.jpg
    thumbnail_20200604_145522.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 19

What I have done:

Put on weight
Jeff, you often give me a good laugh with your clever humour! 😂

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, I read with great interest what many are doing..... it sings....
Wine making,
bread baking,
late waking,
garden raking,
Crocheting
beds spading
harmonica playing
heavier weighing
lots of praying
at home staying
COVID blaming
test taking,
masks displaying
camino faking ( sorry it rhymed)
no dating
Camino craving
not forsaking
Communicating
Hopeful waiting
Contemplating

I have been working on a stone garden behind my house, playing classical guitar,
Making french bread when I can find yeast (shortage on East Coast of USA). Improving my Italian and French cooking, increased my movie cable service, Portuguese, Spanish, and German on line, teaching my dog new tricks (not working - stubborn terrier) walking, and yes, sleeping more!

Last edited:
I have "tried" having a garden where we pulled out two old bushes on the south side. I have not had a garden for forty years. For the last five years I have been on the camino in spring. It's the only reason I experimented this year. I have no green thumb and my garden only gets 4+ hours of sun per day. Only the tomatoes are growing fairly well. I have several types of peppers, basil and one cauliflower.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I went on a hike this morning and placed the stones

View attachment 77797

I'm enjoying hearing about other's pandemic hobbies, and feeling a bit like a slacker too!
Do you know anything about geocaching? Little boxes of "treasure" are hidden around the world, the coordinates and a clue are published on a website and people go out to find them using a GSPr - you could have a Camino themed trail to find your stones

1593285972852.png
Each dot is a cache
There are a lot in the US, 29247 in Oregon alone

1593286054993.png

Geocache.com

Do you know anything about geocaching? Little boxes of "treasure" are hidden around the world, the coordinates and a clue are published on a website and people go out to find them using a GSPr - you could have a Camino themed trail to find your stones

View attachment 77800
Each dot is a cache
There are a lot in the US, 29247 in Oregon alone

View attachment 77801

Geocache.com
Thanks. Yes, I've done some Geocaching, but haven't created a cache myself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

What I have done:

Put on weight
Good job, Jeff.

Like we say is “Ham Radio”: 73’s and lot of Dxing.
From KP4EDL

I'm not sure what is a hobby and what is just an activity. I manage to keep more than busy. On top of my usual activities, I am currently busy both physically and mentally: an hour of yoga every day, a walk, if its not raining, way too much time on Zoom, sorting a lifetime's worth of guide books and maps, reminding myself to continue with on-line Spanish lessons. My most interesting activity at the moment is planning some time in the mountains in August. I packed my larger pack for a walk from Banff to Lake Louise, and, sadly, discovered that I could not lift it. So I repacked my smaller camino pack with what I hope I can carry for a shorter walk: four fairly short days, arriving back in Banff. This past week I made my reservations in Banff, for a hotel for two nights with a friend, who is dropping me off at the trail and for back country camping spaces. I may have to lighten the pack further, but that should help to keep me busy until I leave in about six weeks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure what is a hobby and what is just an activity. I manage to keep more than busy. On top of my usual activities, I am currently busy both physically and mentally: an hour of yoga every day, a walk, if its not raining, way too much time on Zoom, sorting a lifetime's worth of guide books and maps, reminding myself to continue with on-line Spanish lessons. My most interesting activity at the moment is planning some time in the mountains in August. I packed my larger pack for a walk from Banff to Lake Louise, and, sadly, discovered that I could not lift it. So I repacked my smaller camino pack with what I hope I can carry for a shorter walk: four fairly short days, arriving back in Banff. This past week I made my reservations in Banff, for a hotel for two nights with a friend, who is dropping me off at the trail and for back country camping spaces. I may have to lighten the pack further, but that should help to keep me busy until I leave in about six weeks.
I have visited Banff once in 2014, including Lake Louise and on to Jasper...some of the most incredibly beautiful areas on this earth. You are a lucky lady! Enjoy and let us know how our hike and camping goes. I, unfortunately, have a bear phobia and was nervous, even on the day hikes.

I have visited Banff once in 2014, including Lake Louise and on to Jasper...some of the most incredibly beautiful areas on this earth. You are a lucky lady! Enjoy and let us know how our hike and camping goes. I, unfortunately, have a bear phobia and was nervous, even on the day hikes.
I am taking bear spray, as recommended. But it is expensive and I am not sure whether I will buy a new tin for this walk. I have had the old tin for some time, but never needed to use it (except to check the pressure) and there is no best-before date. On my last walk, I met the same enormous bear twice, the second time when I was sitting at a picnic table eating my lunch at the campground where I intended to stay for the night. He wandered past about 20 metres away. I was glad to have the bear spray available in the front of my waist pouch. The park says to keep at least 100 metres away from a bear, but I don't know how they think I could tell the bear that it is coming too close. I did stay for the night there, but after my lunch I picked up food garbage in the area- a canvas sack left by a horse packer who should have known better.
To scare off the bears, I recite poetry out loud when I think there might be a bear in the area, and that is how I met this bear the first time, as he stuck his head around a bush, which he was stripping of berries, to see what the noise was. So far, there seems to be room in the backcountry for both of us.

I'm still doing art to keep myself busy.
I got a website up and running that was simple enough for me to figure out.
www.anniespetportraits.com

I'm also spending time planning our group trip for May 2021 and hope we will be able to fly in!

And my friend Patty Moak and I are talking about walking the Frances in March/April again with no reservations, just to see how it goes. lol!

Coronavirus - BE GONE!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm still doing art to keep myself busy.
I got a website up and running that was simple enough for me to figure out.
www.anniespetportraits.com

I'm also spending time planning our group trip for May 2021 and hope we will be able to fly in!

And my friend Patty Moak and I are talking about walking the Frances in March/April again with no reservations, just to see how it goes. lol!

Coronavirus - BE GONE!
Wonderful, Annie! You are so talented at many art and craft things...a true artist. I've enjoyed seeing your many projects online over the past 4+ years. I wish you success in your new pet portraits venture!

I was there in the Summer of 1981. Agree that this is a very beautiful area. I caught my first Trout in Jasper, fishing off the jetty with a borrowed rod.

We were doing the Trans-Canadian with a few side trips. Just missed the stampede in Calgary, blast! Absolutely loved the sunsets over the Gaspe peninsula and the ruggedness of land and people in Novia Scotia.

Somewhere around the middle bit, maybe Moose Jaw or Lone Loon Lake, we mentioned that we hadn't seen any Wolves and were told to go to the local dump around dusk. Sure enough, there they were but the quiet contemplation was spoiled by a youngster from the USA who tried to get too close (for a photo) and scared them off.

Last edited:

When we hiked in the region, coming out of Banff, we encountered a number of brown bears and a couple gf grizzly bears...my heart was in my mouth....luckily they were busy eating other foliage and berries..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
teaching my dog new tricks (not working - stubborn terrier) walking, and yes, sleeping more!

Happily, Henry the dog is a Labrador, he doesn’t do tricks but is well trained, anyway - he would say ...

What’s the difference between a terrier and a terrorist?

You can negotiate with a terrorist.

(Thank you, I’m here all week - try the chicken)

Yes, and preserves always have chunks of the actual fruit in it...my favorite.🍒🍑🍓

I believe in Scotland they still use the word "julie" to indicate jam! not sure about the spelling or the pronunciation either but who cares!

:)

The Malingerer.

I believe in Scotland they still use the word "julie" to indicate jam! not sure about the spelling or the pronunciation either but who cares!

:)

The Malingerer.
Do you mean jeely? just haud oan there a wee minute son....

translation:
Song and rhyme words
I'm a skyscraper wean, I live on the nineteenth flair,

But I'm no gaun oot to play any mair,

Since we moved to oor new hoose, I'm wasting away,

'Cause I'm getting one less meal every day.

O ye cannae fling pieces oot a twenty-story flat,

Seven-hundred hungry weans will testify tae that,

If it's butter, cheese or jeely, if the breid is plain or pan,

The odds against it reaching earth are ninety-nine tae wan.

On the first day my maw flung me out a dod o' malted broon.

It came skyting oot the windae and went up insteid o' doon,

But every twenty-seven hours it comes back into sight,

'Cause my piece went into orbit and became a satellite.

One the next day my maw flung me oot a piece once again.

It went and hit the pilot in a fast, low-flying plane.

He scraped it aff his goggles, shouting through the intercom:

`The Clydeside Reds have got me wi' a breid-and-jeely bomb!'

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pandemic hobby

*french grammar with breakfast
*french novels in the afternoon
* french cuisine for dinner
*french tv to relieve the boredom
*arguing in french, what a challenge!
*playing french 'Happy Families"
*springcleaning somebody elses house. Not a hobby.

Hungarian peregrina, Santiago de Compostella, Oct 2011:
309518_10150337459743925_1032659470_n.jpg

Last edited:
Happily, Henry the dog is a Labrador, he doesn’t do tricks but is well trained, anyway - he would say ...

What’s the difference between a terrier and a terrorist?

You can negotiate with a terrorist.

(Thank you, I’m here all week - try the chichen

Our Small terrier is a rescue and hates large dogs except labs.
Terriers, I think in many they are like cats. They rule!

Do tell: How do you get an ebook library card for Australia if you live half a world away??
I'm not recommending it, but library cards are now free in Calgary and anyone who formerly lived here can go on using their card, and the location where they lived in the city, to borrow books online. I have two nephews who formerly lived here. One lives now in China and his brother in the Congo. I know that I can borrow online books when in Spain, so I suspect that they could also do so, if they chose to and had an internet connection.

In a posting above (since deleted) the problem of getting library books was mentioned.
May I point you all towards the Libby App?

Available for Android and Apple devices it's a free app to download. You simply plug in the number of your library card, nominate your library and you can then download up to 12 books at any one time to be read on the ebook reader or reading app of your choice.

You're not limited to your local library either - I've borrowed books from Australia and Canada. No fines for late returns (you either renew or they go back automatically), no worries about germ ridden books and no sticky jam (or jelly) fingerprints either!

📚📓📘📗📕📙📔
Libby is, so far, the most user friendly app I’ve come across for borrowing ebooks (my library put me onto it). Since I figured out how to use the filter options to find Instantly a suitable book, my joy knows no bounds 😊😊😊. It’s easy enough to put a hold on a particular book and wait for it to come available but, if you want a suitable book, immediately - say to listen to because you‘re about to head out for a long walk, there are filters ... available audiobooks (that means available right now), then fiction/non-fiction. Then you will find a little write up for each book, and the choice is yours. All you need is an internet connection. One need never be without a good book. 😊

Do tell: How do you get an ebook library card for Australia if you live half a world away??
I have friends in high places . . . .

No, you join with your local library card, if you don't have one and your libraries are closed because of C19 you can usually apply on line for a card. I've held a library card since I was 7!

Download Libby - you can get it for Windows, Android and MAC and put in your library card number. If your library is a member of the system you're ready to go.

I live in Kent, UK and my county library is based in Maidstone so I nominated Kent County Council as my main library. But I can add other libraries too

1593638065429.png
1593638113079.png1593638152091.png

1593638188671.png
I can read using a tablet, my smartphone or my laptop. eBooks and Audio Books can be borrowed and you either check them back in when you've finished. renew or they get automatically checked in at the end of the load period - no more late fines!
You can also start reading on one platform, close the book and pick it up on another.

Have fun and never be without a book!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.