• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A partial solution to litter problems

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe a better solution is us, the readers of this forum. Why don't we all commit to picking up a couple of pieces of litter each day of our hike.

I have mentioned earlier on this forum that I reuse sandwich bags from home. I just store them, stuff a wad into my pack each year (and each time I hike at home), and carry them with me to Spain, France, or Portugal. They weigh practically nothing. (I am talking about the clear plastic sandwich bags, not the paper bags which we call a "lunch" bag here in the U.S.)

Another thing we could do is, if we are close to someone who has littered, stop them politely and offer one of these bags for collecting the waste that has been dropped.

Let's give back as we walk.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I saw lots of tissue trash. Some was obvious that it was discarded, I’m somewhat convinced that others were tissue that didn’t make it back into the pocket someone was trying to put it into, or wiggled up a pocket and fell out. My thought and efforts were to be more aware that my tissue was secure in a pocket. As you’re walking, if you go into a pocket for something, and it also has tissue in it, realize the tissue can fall out unnoticed, especially when you’re walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depending on the historic time frame within which you identify (I take it you may be British), then we would have been from the colonies, too. ;-) Alas, the British (George Vancouver) and the Spanish (the Viceroy of New Spain, Don Juan Vincente de Guemes Pacheco de Padilla Horcasitees y Aguayo, Conde Revilla de Gigedo) were in our area in 1790. The crows passed down their oral heritage...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have two pet starlings, which are related to crows and are very intelligent. They say "Hello" when you enter the room, various other phrases, and whistle "Happy Birthday To You." Also, like crows, they love to steal shiny things. I am a mosaic artist and while I am working, one will often land on my shoulder, then wait for the opportune moment to swoop down and grab a tile out of my hand and fly away.

I have two pet starlings, which are related to crows and are very intelligent. They say "Hello" when you enter the room, various other phrases, and whistle "Happy Birthday To You." Also, like crows, they love to steal shiny things. I am a mosaic artist and while I am working, one will often land on my shoulder, then wait for the opportune moment to swoop down and grab a tile out of my hand and fly away.
Lots of likes, Jill!
Just curious...what do they do with the shiny bauble, once they've swiped it?
Surely you've seen this story?:
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026
(It's not about crows rather than starlings, but starlings are super smart too. And they're great mimics...I read somewhere that Mozart's pet starling sang his music. Oh, to be a fly on that wall....):

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lots of likes, Jill!
Just curious...what do they do with the shiny bauble, once they've swiped it?
Surely you've seen this story?:
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026
(It's not about crows rather than starlings, but starlings are super smart too. And they're great mimics...I read somewhere that Mozart's pet starling sang his music. Oh, to be a fly on that wall....):

No, I hadn't seen that! My starlings just carry away shiny things and make me chase them to get them back. I think it's mostly a game. Yes, Mozart had a pet starling and some people thought maybe Mozart wrote pieces that mimicked the starling's song, too. My birds mimic me and also mimic all the birds in the trees outside, when I put their flight cage outside for the summer.

I see the birds are rewarded with food every time they drop a piece of trash in a bucket. Maybe pilgrims could be rewarded with a cafe con leche or a vino tinto for doing the same! ;):D

Nah, never mind. Probably wouldn't work. :(
In the Swedish archipelago there has been projects where you get a trashbag with you when you rent a kayak and if you return the bag with litter from the sea you get rewarded. On the camino if you turn over x number of trashbags to trash stations you get a special stamp that get you into a speed line at the pilgrims office?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the Swedish archipelago there has been projects where you get a trashbag with you when you rent a kayak and if you return the bag with litter from the sea you get rewarded. On the camino if you turn over x number of trashbags to trash stations you get a special stamp that get you into a speed line at the pilgrims office?
Maybe you're partly joking, but that's not a bad idea, Beatrice!
Now, how to get that implemented?

Here, in the North Cascades, and in our local forest lands, we pick up items others may have accidentally dropped along the trail. It's very infrequent we need to do so. I believe I was fortunate on the Camino as I found it to be essentally litter free. I saw an errant napkin once that the wind picked up, and it flew over a fence where there was a big bull. That's when I discovered the limits to my "litter retrieval program." Maybe the bull had a plan...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back