• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A penny for your thoughts...

Neddy

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
Hi everyone,
We are two women starting our first Camino Frances on 29/3/18 and have some things we can’t decide on.
1. We have booked a train arriving to Pamplona on the 28th and then the next day we are going to take a bus or Taxi to Roncesvalles to begin our Camino. We would prefer the bus (cheaper) but I think there’s only one service at 4pm on 29/3 because of Easter and we thought we would start walking to Espinal that day. We are quite flexible with time but we just want to get started - so excited. Looking at the weather forecast has us wondering if we should just start from Pamplona?
2. We still haven’t decided if we want waterproof pants - we tried some on and you had to remove shoes to get them on?

We would be really greatful for any advise/thoughts you may have.
N&J

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum, Neddy.

Check out other waterproof pants. They should open at the bottoms. Mine have both zippers and Velcro closings at the bottom of the legs, easy to get on and off, even over boots. I got them at REI. I found them really valuable not just for rain but as insulation against wind and cold as well. I will take them again in April, not even a second thought.

As for your travel plans, you will be walking during Holy Week and I understand Spain is huge on the processions, observances, and celebrations. I'll defer to others with more knowledge on how that will affect accommodations, transport, etc., as well as thoughts on weather and start points. Buen Camino!

With respect to moisture and trousers, you might wish to consider wearing quick-dry (QD) nylon trousers instead of waterproof trousers. I wore QD trousers, made from a lightweight uncoated breathable woven nylon fabric, for the entire length of the CF last year and found them to be fully satisfactory. They got soaked of course whenever it rained, but dried very quickly once the rain stopped and also very quickly every day after I laundered them. Very easy to wash by hand and they reliably hang-dried overnight.

In my experience, one tends to perspire when walking the Camino. Due to the perspiration, it is not clear to me how waterproof trousers would keep one’s legs dry when walking, and they might lead to overheating. However, wearing them might help prevent hypothermia when one is sitting still in cold windy weather.

Just my thoughts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my experience, one tends to perspire when walking the Camino. Due to the perspiration, it is not clear to me how waterproof trousers would keep one’s legs dry when walking, and they might lead to overheating. However, wearing them might help prevent hypothermia when one is sitting still in cold windy weather.

Just my thoughts.

We wear Gortex rain pants. We don't over heat and stay bone dry.......

Check out Stephen Jone’s video on YouTube which shows current conditions including lots of rain , wind and snow. I bought rain pants $20 at Walmart underneath I have quick dry running pants ...rain pants can be used also if you feel a little cold I think
Excited for a Spanish /French’s Easter as well

Welcome to the forum, Neddy.

Check out other waterproof pants. They should open at the bottoms. Mine have both zippers and Velcro closings at the bottom of the legs, easy to get on and off, even over boots. I got them at REI. I found them really valuable not just for rain but as insulation against wind and cold as well. I will take them again in April, not even a second thought.

As for your travel plans, you will be walking during Holy Week and I understand Spain is huge on the processions, observances, and celebrations. I'll defer to others with more knowledge on how that will affect accommodations, transport, etc., as well as thoughts on weather and start points. Buen Camino!

Thank you for your message, we took your advise. We went out shopping again today and found some that fit over our shoes. So we bought them. We are in Barcelona and this morning there was some snow on the surrounding mountains. So I think it’s got us slightly concerned about the weather further north.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With respect to moisture and trousers, you might wish to consider wearing quick-dry (QD) nylon trousers instead of waterproof trousers. I wore QD trousers, made from a lightweight uncoated breathable woven nylon fabric, for the entire length of the CF last year and found them to be fully satisfactory. They got soaked of course whenever it rained, but dried very quickly once the rain stopped and also very quickly every day after I laundered them. Very easy to wash by hand and they reliably hang-dried overnight.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you so your detailed response. I have decided to have both options available - quick dry pants and the waterproof pants. I definitely don’t want hypothermia :)

Check out Stephen Jone’s video on YouTube which shows current conditions including lots of rain , wind and snow. I bought rain pants $20 at Walmart underneath I have quick dry running pants ...rain pants can be used also if you feel a little cold I think
Excited for a Spanish /French’s Easter as well

Ok thank you, will do.
We found some rain pants today that look like they will work. So exciting :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, welcome to the forum. Just an idea, you could get off the bus in Espinal, if it stops there. Your train arrival station has a bus stop just outside that passes very near the bus station, if that is any help to you. And there is nothing wrong with starting from Pamplona. in fact, it is a lovely walk from there to Puente la Reina. A bit too early for the wonderful lavender bushes in Obanos, but you will have your own alternative delights en camino... Hope all goes well for your beginning, and buen camino. Let us all know how things go.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Just an idea, you could get off the bus in Espinal, if it stops there. Your train arrival station has a bus stop just outside that passes very near the bus station, if that is any help to you. And there is nothing wrong with starting from Pamplona. in fact, it is a lovely walk from there to Puente la Reina. A bit too early for the wonderful lavender bushes in Obanos, but you will have your own alternative delights en camino... Hope all goes well for your beginning, and buen camino. Let us all know how things go.

Hi and thank you! We are thinking beginning our Camino in Pamplona might be a good start for us we will probably continue to think about it and discuss it :)

Nothing wrong with starting from Pamlona.
If nothing else, rest a few days there before you begin walking. See the city. Visit the Cathedral and the museum. Then decide. A bus to Roncesvalles is inexpensive, but there's really no reason to go there. Just start walking from Pamplona. Nobody counts your steps until you reach Sarria, from where you must walk if you want the Compostela.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nothing wrong with starting from Pamlona.
If nothing else, rest a few days there before you begin walking. See the city. Visit the Cathedral and the museum. Then decide. A bus to Roncesvalles is inexpensive, but there's really no reason to go there. Just start walking from Pamplona. Nobody counts your steps until you reach Sarria, from where you must walk if you want the Compostela.
Thank you Annie, we think that starting in Pamplona seems to feel right. I’m not sure why we thought Roncesvalles but I’m happy to hear what you said. We definitely want to start off slowly.

I have walked the Camino Frances many times.
I had to start from Pamplona once due to extreme weather before Pamplona. There is just one day difference from starting in Roncesvalles....or two days from St. Jean. Really not a big deal in the overall adventure.
Consider what Annie says above.
Thank you for your advise it has really settled our minds to hear some experienced people’s opinions. It feels a lot easier if we just leave from Pamplona :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've walked from SJPP over the Pyrenees through Roncesvalles before. It is a beautiful walk. However last year I started in Pamplona and it was great. I would say don't complicate the start with backtracking on the bus. Just start in Pamplona.

Last edited:
I've walked from SJPP over the Pyrenees through Roncesvalles before. It is a beautiful walk. However last year I started in Pamplona and it was great. I would say don't complicate the start with backtracking on the bus. Just start in Pamplona.

That’s Great. Hopefully we will do the walk over the Pyrenees some other time when it’s not so cold. Everyone has given us the same advice and so we will start in Pamplona. Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,
We are two women starting our first Camino Frances on 29/3/18 and have some things we can’t decide on.
1. We have booked a train arriving to Pamplona on the 28th and then the next day we are going to take a bus or Taxi to Roncesvalles to begin our Camino. We would prefer the bus (cheaper) but I think there’s only one service at 4pm on 29/3 because of Easter and we thought we would start walking to Espinal that day. We are quite flexible with time but we just want to get started - so excited. Looking at the weather forecast has us wondering if we should just start from Pamplona?
2. We still haven’t decided if we want waterproof pants - we tried some on and you had to remove shoes to get them on?

We would be really greatful for any advise/thoughts you may have.
N&J

From our experience walking from SJPDP in late April the rain pants were very much appreciated and used. Along with the advice you've already been given I'll add some experiences notes from our Camino. We used the rain pants sometimes in the mornings in the first 5-8 days as it was cooler, you could easily see your breath, and going over the Pyrenees we saw both rain and snow - I'd expect in late March you'll see snow possible at lower elevations and the temperatures will be cooler too.

More importantly is our experience with wearing or not wearing the rain pants in the rain. Both of us has good quality light weight, quick dry hiking pants. During one of the days when we had rain one of us chose not to wear the rain pants and the other wore the rain pants. What my Camino partner experienced was that the rain soaked pants let some amount of water run run down their legs and inturn soaked the socks and inside or their boots. The result was the boots took several days to dry out completely and they needed to change socks much more often during this time to keep their feet dry.

So while you may sweat a bit more, keeping your boots and more importantly your feet drier is mucho more important as wet or damp feet lead to more blisters and your feet are whats going to carry you to Santiago.

Buen Camino,
BB

My partner and I started in Roncesvalles Easter weekend 2009. It never occurred to us how busy the Camino would be, a lot of people were out just for the Easter weekend. Being Easter weekend the busses were not running so we had to take a taxi from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. We were able to get a bed at Roncesvalles but in Zubiri the hospitalro put us up in a handball court and supplied us with foamys and blankets. Snowing hard and very cold. Once we got to Pamplona the crowds cleared and we had a great walk.
I'll be a bit behind you, I start in Pamplona on the 9th. Unlikely but if you do see me I'll be the guy carrying the flute.

..rain pants can be used also if you feel a little cold I think

Yes, they work well for that. Wind goes right through lightweight hiking pants and so could cause heat loss in cold weather.
The rain pants provide another handy 'windproof' layer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From our experience walking from SJPDP in late April the rain pants were very much appreciated and used. Along with the advice you've already been given I'll add some experiences notes from our Camino. We used the rain pants sometimes in the mornings in the first 5-8 days as it was cooler, you could easily see your breath, and going over the Pyrenees we saw both rain and snow - I'd expect in late March you'll see snow possible at lower elevations and the temperatures will be cooler too.

More importantly is our experience with wearing or not wearing the rain pants in the rain. Both of us has good quality light weight, quick dry hiking pants. During one of the days when we had rain one of us chose not to wear the rain pants and the other wore the rain pants. What my Camino partner experienced was that the rain soaked pants let some amount of water run run down their legs and inturn soaked the socks and inside or their boots. The result was the boots took several days to dry out completely and they needed to change socks much more often during this time to keep their feet dry.

So while you may sweat a bit more, keeping your boots and more importantly your feet drier is mucho more important as wet or damp feet lead to more blisters and your feet are whats going to carry you to Santiago.

Buen Camino,
BB

Hi, that’s great to know, we’ll be sure to put them on even in a little bit of rain. I’m very conscious of protecting my feet so I definitely don’t want water inside my shoes.
Thank you for the wise words of advise.

My partner and I started in Roncesvalles Easter weekend 2009. It never occurred to us how busy the Camino would be, a lot of people were out just for the Easter weekend. Being Easter weekend the busses were not running so we had to take a taxi from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. We were able to get a bed at Roncesvalles but in Zubiri the hospitalro put us up in a handball court and supplied us with foamys and blankets. Snowing hard and very cold. Once we got to Pamplona the crowds cleared and we had a great walk.
I'll be a bit behind you, I start in Pamplona on the 9th. Unlikely but if you do see me I'll be the guy carrying the flute.

Hello
We are planing to take it slowly so you might catch up to us. I’ll be looking out for a man with a flute
We had considered leaving after Easter but we’re just so excited to start walking. So we are going to start and hopefully it will all work out
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back