• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A pilgrim has died on the Camino near Roncesvalles - March 2013

I think the part with the truck takes place where the camino splits off from the paved road onto a grassy track and then heads up through a crag. I think he missed this and continued on the road to where the man found him, and then dropped back there. He says he followed the paved road again where he became stuck over night. Anyone know where that road leads to and the name of that crag/peak?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Navarricano, good report and post.

Yes, tragic, and very similar to The Way and how Tom's son died. In St. Jean it can be a beautiful day - but that path goes over a real mountain and even on a 'good' day the weather can change in minutes.
He was so close to safety, so close. After all that trekking through deep snow he would have been so tired, perhaps already hypothermic, and his mind would probably not have been clear, the poor man.

The markers on the pass are not tall and disappear easily in snow. I went over in March and there was a lot of snow up there - snowed heavily at one point - and there were two places I can remember where the markers were buried for long stretches. A couple came up behind me and we jointly worked out which way to go. Had I been alone I would have not gone ahead as I couldn't be certain I was still on the Camino - being three we gave each other support, but it was dangerous up there ..

Something that could help significantly is long-pole markers that wouldn't disappear in deep snow and perhaps a few emergency shelters. With so many pilgrims on the Camino it would be simple to raise more than enough money to have these safety measures put in place - who wouldn't drop a Euro into such a collection tin? Such a mission could raise a hundred thousand Euros within one year ... such a project could be named after those who have lost their lives up there ....

... don't know what others think, nor how one could go forward on such a project - the pilgrim welcome centre in St Jean?
May I inquire...

What are people's experiences of walking the Mountain path out of St Jean in March. I really want to do this but not put myself or others at risk by doing so...

I fit and healthy and an experienced walker.

Just a sad story. As an experienced winter hiker and mountaineer, I know anything is possible - seemingly routine routes can bring death & extremely treacherous routes are navigated by novices with no ill results. In mountain environments clear skies can quickly change to dangerous winter weather, hail or snow . Muddy trails can freeze to become icy danger zones. Always be prepared, err on the side of caution, and know your limits - and even then there is a chance of tragedy. A 'buddy' is also of value in possibly dangerous areas. Be safe all - I'll be there in the spring.
Dave

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Intending to walk the mountain pass out of St. Jean in March ,we were met with enough discouragement from locals plus the recent death of a pilgrim to change our minds . We started our walk from Roncesvalles instead and looked at our disappointments and accepted and knew we missed nothing at all.
It was a moment and we made our decision and did not look behind nor ahead. Accept.

May his soul shine ever brightly to light his way to heaven. May happy memories of our fellow pilgrim comfort his family in the difficult days ahead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
RIP.

I think there are many lessons on this thread for those who sacrifice essential gear with the aim of reducing pack weight.

RIP.

I think there are many lessons on this thread for those who sacrifice essential gear with the aim of reducing pack weight.

Fully agree. Its so important to use the right gear. I always dress for the worst weather, just in case. Pilgrims should be prepared to spend a night out in freezing conditions. They may never need to but if they do - it sure comes in handy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
May I inquire...

What are people's experiences of walking the Mountain path out of St Jean in March. I really want to do this but not put myself or others at risk by doing so...

I fit and healthy and an experienced walker.
As stated before Mark, the pilgrim office will let you know of conditions on the Napoleon. Heed their advice. The Valcarlos is also a lovely walk or if conditions are really bad then start from Roncevalles.
Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My condolences go out to his family and friends. What a terrible thing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This tragedy (The Canadian citizen who apparently accidentally mis-stepped off the Napolean in brutal conditions) happened shortly before I set out from SJPdP on my first Camino. I had planned, of course, to do the Napolean in the lovely springtime but, going on the advice of so many onthis forum, also decided that I would follow the advice of the locals in SJPdP.
When I arrived, THE END OF MAY, I was surprised to find, not the lovely spring weather I had anticipated, but cold, icy, challenging conditions which prompted the locals to close the Napolean! I walked the Valcarlos instead, a definite challenge unto itself.
One of the first lessons I learned from the Camino was that my plans were not in my hands. I couldn't allow my pride to win over common sense. I realized that if I wanted to walk the entire way and arrive at Santiago in better shape than I started, I would need to, a.) listen carefully to the Guardian Angels on my shoulders, b.) be patient with myself, and c.) plan one day at a time.
I was disappointed that I couldn't walk the Napolean that very first day - it was a hard lesson to have to learn on day one - but, 40 days later, as I practically skipped into Santiago, I was greatful for everything the Camino had taught me about myself and my place in the world.

One of the first lessons I learned from the Camino was that my plans were not in my hands. I couldn't allow my pride to win over common sense. I realized that if I wanted to walk the entire way and arrive at Santiago in better shape than I started, I would need to, a.) listen carefully to the Guardian Angels on my shoulders, b.) be patient with myself, and c.) plan one day at a time.
I was disappointed that I couldn't walk the Napolean that very first day - it was a hard lesson to have to learn on day one - but, 40 days later, as I practically skipped into Santiago, I was greatful for everything the Camino had taught me about myself and my place in the world.

I totally agree with you.
And there aren´t more accidents because of those "Guardian Angels". I have read more than once of a peregrine saying that he or she didn´t listen to the locals about not walking in such bad weather conditions (e.g. snow) and boasting that nothing happened to them but if something would have happened.............

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back