• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a pilgrim in spain

andy.d

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
I've reviewed 'A Pilgrim in Spain' by Christopher Howse for the CSJ Bulletin. It's not directly about the Camino - and he is critical of some aspects of the modern Camino - but I recommend it as a book that is illuminating about Spain. I understand much more now about why Spain is like it is. It's also very funny.

Andy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is available on Kindle at a price of about $14 US. Somehow that seems high considering that trees, printing presses, and bookstores are out of the picture, as is a stamp for mailing. The reviews describe it as humorous, which is always suitable for the Camino. Tim Moore is hard to top for humor.

I am watching for it in my local library, where donativo does mean free (if you ignore the tax subsidy).

It's truly unfortunate that some publishers (rarely the authors themselves) are abusing their Kindle pricing system. For my English language version on Kindle I get a whopping 70%. Whoo-py-do!Sounds good? Well, yes, but the initial price was 99c for three months and even now is only 2.99. Not much comes my way. But compare that to the pittance I was getting prior to that through my POD book (the likes of which I will NEVER recoup financially and we are not even beginning to programme in time here) and it sounds like a gravy train!
Then let's look at my book published through a very reputable - and under the umbrella of a giant parent company - Spanish version: I get 8%. Of 8 Euros! My agent gets more than I do!!! And I spent 3 years of my life on this book, and it's a good book (don't be put off by the title: yes, it has a historical element but it is just as much a "guidebook" as Brierley in its own way!)
$14 US is price gouging. I might have ordered it but for this. Someone along the way is making a killing. And it ain't the person who wrote the book, unless they are unscrupulous!
And people accuse ME of "selling books". PULEASE!!!
Will the real Dan Brown please stand up...
However, and just in case :) :) (it is a bargain really...God how I HATE marketing!)
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
and shamelessly: (Look: I've got 2 cats and a rabbit to feed!)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=26&y=11

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Tim Moore is hard to top for humor.I have to say it: I found Spanish Steps decidedly snarky. Moore's comments on the pilgrims her meets are less empatheric and more just - well, "superior". I've spoken with oters who have said the same. I don't find those kind of comments particularly funny. Have you read Jack Hitt's "Off the road"? I've read dozens of pilgrims tales but Jack's was my first and still my best and surprisingly very few people have ever heard of this book. Hitg laughs at himself the whole way through while he tolerates weirdos and innocents the whole journey long. (The strange "scizophrenic" hostal keeper in The Way comes directly from Hitt's book.) It is a superb classic: so funny and even now - he wrote it in the early 1990's - it was Hitt's comment about how he felt about being in Santiago after a few days had passed which has inspired me to open my post-camino "half-way" house (as it has been called - it has lots of names now!).
TS
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

I randomly picked up a copy of Jack Hitt's book at a Goodwill thrift store before I left for Spain a week ago. I brought it with me and have been reading it in my spare time (not much of that) and have enjoyed it so far. It was the inspiration for "The Way" and is credited as such, if I remember correctly from the credits.

So many camino books, so little time.... ;)

TS....I have to agree with you about Hitts book. I've got a shelf full of Camino books and his would be the first I'd recommend as reading if you don't know a thing about it. And yes, seeing Il Ramon on the big screen was a scream!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tracey, thank for the Jack Hitt book. Didn't even know it existed.

Tim Moore's book tries far too hard to be funny and it is at other people's expenses. Some of the people I know loathe it because of it's cheap hits (possibly at them).

I am glad to say that I did not pay full price for it and I could not recommend it to anyone.

If anyone wants a book about travelling with a donkey "The Great Donkey Walk" is the book to read.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back