• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Pilgrim Offering

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
Hello all

Back in the autumn of 2018, in those happy days when we were all still allowed outside, I walked the Camino Francés and wrote a blog about it every day, for five extraordinary and memorable weeks.

Some of you might remember my posts here from that time.

Given all the extra time that's suddenly become available, I've now converted that blog into an actual book with lots of lovely photos, published initially as an e-book on Amazon's Kindle site. An edited version is also available as a paperback.

As a Pilgrim offering, as a thank you to the forum members for all your kindness, advice and support when I was first considering the Camino, I'm making the e-book available FOR FREE for the next five days.

Go Your Own Way - link to free download

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it - that was as close as I'll get to walking it for a while!

John

PS - I've been in touch with the moderators here and have pledged a portion of any future royalties to the various albergues that Ivar is beginning to list on the support platform here.

41MmSckgUtL.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all
Given all the extra time that's suddenly become available, I've now converted that blog into an actual book with lots of lovely photos, published initially as an e-book on Amazon's Kindle site. An edited version is also available as a paperback.

As a Pilgrim offering, as a thank you to the forum members for all your kindness, advice and support when I was first considering the Camino, I'm making the e-book available FOR FREE for the next five days.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it - that was as close as I'll get to walking it for a while!
John

Thank you John...a kind & generous gesture. I look forward to diving in! 😊

Just a note for Aussie forum members wishing to take up this offer;
We can't access the book through the link provided by John. We need to go through Amazon's Australian site. Simply enter the title (which brings up multiple options) or John Lloyd as author..& voila!..it is available for immediate download.

Wishing you every success with it @JohnLloyd!
👣 🌏

Thank you John...a kind & generous gesture. I look forward to diving in! 😊

Just a note for Aussie forum members wishing to take up this offer;
We can't access the book through the link provided by John. We need to go through Amazon's Australian site. Simply enter the title (which brings up multiple options) or John Lloyd as author..& voila!..it is available for immediate download.

Wishing you every success with it @JohnLloyd!
👣 🌏
Ah, I've had a similar message from Poland!

Thanks for providing the solution!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all

Back in the autumn of 2018, in those happy days when we were all still allowed outside, I walked the Camino Francés and wrote a blog about it every day, for five extraordinary and memorable weeks.

John

PS - I've been in touch with the moderators here and have pledged a portion of any future royalties to the various albergues that Ivar is beginning to list on the support platform here.

View attachment 73713
Thanks John
Looking forward to reading this.
Marie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all

John

View attachment 73713
Thankyou John, it is on my kindle and i look forward to re visiting our own time there. It was hearing Martin Sheen being interviewed on radio 4 Woman’s hour about his life that stuck in my mind, where he talked about his own spanish heritage and making the film, and after some years of it sitting there in my mind i found the dvd of The Way and eventually found myself walking it too😁, so I am grateful to him for the inspiration. I made sure to stay at the house in Akaretta where they eat together in the garden and it was a special moment for us to be there, ridiculous though that may sound, like a groupie, but at that time the idea behind the film really meant something to me (and still does) and besides it was a great place to stay and a very welcoming host.

@JohnLloyd Thank you very much for your kind offer. Do you have a PDF version for download (I don't use Kindle).

All the best,

Alex
Hi Alex - neither did I before this. It will also display on a tablet or a phone.
If that’s no good, let me know and we can try to upload a pdf somewhere like Dropbox.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Alex - neither did I before this. It will also display on a tablet or a phone.
If that’s no good, let me know and we can try to upload a pdf somewhere like Dropbox.
It is possible to upload a PDF on the Resources section here on the forum, and then a blank version after 5 days, if you want to. I would really like to read your story of your Camino :) :cool:

Thank you very much John..very generous of you ...both for this offer and for your donation of proceeds to the Camino. Look forward to reading it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is possible to upload a PDF on the Resources section here on the forum, and then a blank version after 5 days, if you want to. I would really like to read your story of your Camino :) :cool:
@JohnLloyd
I am sort of the same situation
Not sure if I can download the file so PDF would work for me as well if possible
thanks

You can upload a pdf to the resource section and then delete it when the free week is up.

I've got a bit of a technical problem with that.

I've also produced an edited version of the manuscript for a paperback version, but I forgot to rename the file to keep it separate from the e-book version.

My laptop won't open any of the Kindle Create PDFs because they are too big - over 150MB in each case.

So, all that means that I don't know which version of the file I should upload here.

Oops.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ooh, where is that house, the one where Martin first meets Sarah?
Yes i think so, he is walking by and they see him, tho i think he actually walks by going in the wrong direction in the film because going in the right direction you wouldnt see where they had set out the table in the garden.. The camino goes right by the house so you would have passed it.

Ah, I've had a similar message from Poland!

Thanks for providing the solution!
Same here in the US. But it's available on the US amazon.com.

It's a very nice village, with several historic houses. The hotel is great value - expensive, yes - but worth it! Only problem was the late serving of breakfast, when most pilgrims just wanted to get going.

Thank you John. I look forward to reading it. Best wishes to you 🙏😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes i think so, he is walking by and they see him, tho i think he actually walks by going in the wrong direction in the film because going in the right direction you wouldnt see where they had set out the table in the garden.. The camino goes right by the house so you would have passed it.
If you see the large building behind Tom as he is about the enter the garden of the Hotel Akerreta,
1587832783556.png1587832844978.png
you can find it on Streeetview, shown at the right of the frame from the film. The position of the camera on Streetview is near the front entrance to the hotel, seen on the left of the screenshot.
The next screenshot from Streetview is from the same spot as the one above:
1587833064667.png
I don't think you can tell, from the film, if he was walking in the right direction or not. He was following a sign for the albergue, and would have heard the sounds of conversation from the path. What does not fit the film with reality is that Jost and Tom were walking along a path with a strip of grass down the middle. The path from Larrasoaña to Akerreta does not have grass down the middle anywhere. When we see the sign for the albergue, pointing to the right, while the sign for the camino points to the left, cannot be seen from the path from Larrasoaña, if it exists at all. The view of Akerreta from that point is not a view that can be seen from the path from Larrasoaña. Unfortunately Sv did not go on the camino from Akerreta to Zuriain and on to Pamplona, but the view from the NA-2338 looks more like the view that Tom has. So it looks as though he is walking from the direction of Zuriain to Akerreta.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please reveal details of the solar powered muffin oven!

Please reveal details of the solar powered muffin oven!
Hello! Here is a link to the GoSun website, where the portable oven is listed.

The blueberry muffins produced by Matt with this little device were divine.

Hello all

John

View attachment 73713

Thanks much for the offer. I tried but was told the offer is for UK only. I'm in the US and wouldn't let me download.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I’ve heard that a couple of times now from friends in Australia, Poland and the US.
Apparently, if you search for me and/or the book title in your version of Amazon, you can get it that way.

AUD 187 for the solar charged device? I don’t think so!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe this is a device more suited to wild camping.

This is the last day of the free download of the book, so don't leave it too late!

So far, more than 200 of you have taken up that offer.

If you enjoyed reading it, I'd love to hear your thoughts - a review on Amazon would be much appreciated and will help others discover it too.

I have already made three contributions to the albergues on Ivar's list - royalties from the book will help me make more in the future too.

Thanks again!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all

Thanks to everyone who took the time to download the book a couple of months ago.

If you enjoyed reading it, a review on Amazon would be much appreciated and will help others discover it too.

Thanks!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.