• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A place to spend a day on Camino del Norte?

Shergrunde

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
We will hike the Northern Route from San Sebastian to Bilbao in June. We would like to stop for two nights someplace along the way. Is Deba or Markina a good place to relax for a day? Is there another town you would recommend ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bilbao gives you the chance to visit the Bellas Artes and look at the outside of the Guggenheim, surely one of the most impressive buildings of the century, and just hang about this interesting (if expensive!) city. Deba and Markina are pleasant places for a few hours with a vermut artisanal.... but.... I would prefer to hang around Castro Urdiales by the harbour, or Zarautz for the beach. Santillana del Mar is a bit of a tourist trap, but is very attractive and its diocesan museum has a treasure trove of mediaeval and romanesque art-- you could easily spend a day there..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We will hike the Northern Route from San Sebastian to Bilbao in June. We would like to stop for two nights someplace along the way. Is Deba or Markina a good place to relax for a day? Is there another town you would recommend ?

My girlfriend and I walked from Irun, intending to end by walking into Bilbao. From what i had heard the second half of the section from Gernika to Bilbao was un attractive development. We spent the night in Gernika. After a brief sightseeing tour in the am we concluded that Gernika, besides the history and the small town center, was unappealing due to the unaesthetic appeal of the ugly architecture post bombing.

We were interested in some beach time after the mountains of the previous days and I found the town of Mundaka directly north of Gernika on Google. We took the train 40 mins north to find a tiny charming town on the ocean with a beach and all sorts of activities for the water - SUP, surfing, great waves. We stayed 2 nights and took an easy direct bus the morning after our second night for a day and night in Bilbao before our flight the next day.

It all worked wonderfully.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I dunno - I recommend walking and see what towns inspire you. The towns that most people recommend spending a free day in - were not my "cup of tea". I didn't enjoy the cities that much, but I loved the tiny villages along the sea. The cities were just too busy, and too touristy, too commercialized, and/or industrial in some cases. Took me out of the pilgrim mindset. I also found taking a combination of long and short days was better for me. I always had plenty of time to do the things I wanted to do.

I dunno - I recommend walking and see what towns inspire you. The towns that most people recommend spending a free day in - were not my "cup of tea". I didn't enjoy the cities that much, but I loved the tiny villages along the sea. The cities were just too busy, and too touristy, too commercialized, and/or industrial in some cases. Took me out of the pilgrim mindset. I also found taking a combination of long and short days was better for me. I always had plenty of time to do the things I wanted to do.
I also agree with this. I am finding my most restful, peaceful times when I have a little extra time at a casa rural. Intxauspe landetxea in Markina is very lovely and has private rooms (while being in easy proximity to a town with cafes and groceries) as well as Agote Aundi in Askizu (though I don't know if you can book it for multiple nights or with private rooms. It is further from town and there are no buses to go back and forth but is relatively close to the coast via Getaria)

I also stayed at Intxauspe landetxea when I walked into Markina (as the pilgrim albergue was closed) and my girlfriend and I opted for a private room. It’s set on a hillside with beautiful views, has a lovely patio where the hospitaliera served us a wonderful abundant meal and the grounds were lovely. They also have shared hostel bunk rooms. I definitely recommend this for Markina accommodations.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.