• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A place to stay in Pamplona

Wolfmoms

I am leaving the USA on April 9th 2012, arriving in Madrid next day and plan to catch the bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona. Any suggestions on where to stay for a night or two? The desire is to recover from jetlag a bit before beginning my walk from Pamplona to Santiago. Would like my pilgrim passport stamped in Pamplona before I leave there. A million more questions, but this will do for now. :shock:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nothing beats jet lag like walking! You can go about an hour past Pamplona to Cizur Menor, then a couple of hours to Uterga, then a few more hours to Puenta La Reina. That breaks one long day into three, and eases you out of jet lag and into the Camino. Depending on your arrival time in Pamplona, you can do the big city stuff, then walk to Cizur Menor on your arrival day.

I like this place in Pamplona, but there are plenty of others:

http://www.hostalbearan.com/

Hola Wolfmoms...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

Falcon's suggestions are spot on and always as accurate as they are thoughtful.

Another source for information is the following:

http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/

This covers Pamplona as well as the Way forward.

Any additional questions...just ask.

Buen Camino

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Falcon, thanks for that link to the Hostal Bearan. I have stayed there many times, the last time being when the entire street was ripped up for installation of some pipes, probably at least 7 years ago. But it looks to me like the place has been "upscaled" quite a bit. Do you have any idea what the prices are now? (can't get the online system to work). I don't think I ever paid more than 27 or 28 for a double room, but those days are probably long gone now.

And while I'm thinking of the Hostal Bearan, if anyone is looking for a very good and not too expensive meal, right on the same street is the Restaurante Basseri. If you go into the dining room at the back of the bar, there is a great restaurant. I have eaten there many times and have never been disappointed. Their menus del dia are incredible, and for a few extra euros you can upgrade to a phenomenal wine. Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but that neighborhood of Pamplona is a great place to get over jet lag, in my opinion.

Buen camino, Laurie

My favourite place in Pamplona is the Pension Sarasate. Quiet, just around the corner from the Plaza Castillo, 5 minute walk to the bus station, with a most accommodating and helpful landlord.
€40 for a single and €50 for a double.
Contact Jose at pensionsarasate@gmail.com

Hi wolfmoms
Im travelling from Australia Wed 4th April. Hope to be in Pamplona by Fri 6th. Might see you on the trail. .Í was going to stay in Pamplona for a couple of days to get over jet lag. Now will follow Falcon's advice and site see then walk to Cizor Mendor at the end of the first day. Because it will be Easter do I need to book in Pamplona for a night?
gracios amanda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wolfmoms said:
Would like my pilgrim passport stamped in Pamplona before I leave there. A million more questions, but this will do for now. :shock:

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions on a place to stay in Pamplona. Am thinking now that I will stay only one night (10th) and do a short-ish walk to either Cizur Menor or Uterga on the following day. I have found the bus station and will book an overnight near there. Seems like a lot to see in that neighborhood.

Re the quote above ... will any of the non-pilgrim hostels or hotels in Pamplona stamp my pilgrim passport?? Or do I have to find on of the 'official' alburges for that?

-- Laura

do a short-ish walk to either Cizur Menor or Uterga
I don't think Uterga is a shortish walk! You will go up a couple of hours to the Alto de Perdon, then down the equally demanding backside of the mountain. I have found it to be a fairly grueling four-to-five hours. The albergue in Uterga is among my favorites, but there is nothing else in town.

falcon269 said:
I don't think Uterga is a shortish walk! You will go up a couple of hours to the Alto de Perdon, then down the equally demanding backside of the mountain. I have found it to be a fairly grueling four-to-five hours. The albergue in Uterga is among my favorites, but there is nothing else in town.

I was thinking the same thing. Pamplona to Uterga is about 17 km with a tough uphill climb from Cizur Menor over Alto de Perdon. This would be especially tough if you had just arrived.

I like the private albergue in Uterga also. It has a good cafe for a lunch break if you are going on to Puente La Reina.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
grayland said:
falcon269 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Pamplona to Uterga is about 17 km with a tough uphill climb from Cizur Menor over Alto de Perdon. This would be especially tough if you had just arrived.

I like the private albergue in Uterga also. It has a good cafe for a lunch break if you are going on to Puente La Reina.

Ah .... points taken! I looked at the elevation graphs and now realize that I probably (really) do not want to make that climb on my first day of walking ... so the plan now looks like this:

... fly into Madrid (arriving ~~ 8:00 am-ish), take bus from airport to Pamplona, spend night in Pamplona, late start the next morning with a walk to Cizur Menor ... THEN over the hill to Puente La Reina the following day ... after that The Camino will be my guide for the next 30 days.

One more question, will the Paderhorn or Jesus Y Maria stamp my credential since I am arriving at MY start via bus?????

--Laura

Hi Laura,
Yes, usually albergues will stamp your credencial even if you are not staying there. If you do want to stay in an albergue in Pamplona rather than a private hotel, you usually can even if you arrived by bus because you are starting your walking portion. (I stayed in the municipal albergue in St Jean even though I arrived there by train).

Have a great time!

Wolfmoms:
I am leaving for Spain on Wednesday January 18 and will take the bus to Pamplona from Madrid. I will stay the night in Pamplona because my bus does not arrive until after the 6:00 bus to Roncesvalles departs. I reserved at the Pension Sarasate for 36 euros for a single room with bath. The owner speaks english - a big plus on your first day. The pension has good reviews on Trip Advisor ( some from other pilgrims) and can be booked direct through e-mail at pensionsarasate@gmail.com. I booked through booking.com. You can book online and your credit card holds the resevation but is not charged until you arrive. The pension is 300 meters from the bus station and 300 meters to the Plaza Castillo. Great location.
Laura

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Has anyone stayed in the Apartmentos Iruña in Pamplona? Looks good value and has a kitchen! :lol:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back