• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A plan for 2022 & 2023 (& thanks)

Streetfood

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Finisterre) 2017. Via dl Plata 2018. Portuguese 2019.
This is my first substantive post on the forum although I have been an avid fan for a number of years & each Sunday enthusiastically look forward to perusing the weekly email.
I want to begin by thanking with gratitude every person who contributes to the forum ... Ivar, the moderators, those who post questions or thoughts, & all those who respond. I have learnt so much, both from both the practical & spiritual (is that the 'right' word?) viewpoints.

I will not be walking this year, (I'm an Aussie from Perth), but am optimistic about being able to return to the Camino beginning in the 2022 northern hemisphere Spring. Here's my Camino Plan for 2022-23:
Spring 2022 - Camino Frances. I have already walked the Frances (my first camino) but thought it's the right time to return to this route because it is likely to have the most infrastructure for pilgrims. Also, I'll be walking with a newbie & I believe that the Frances with it's history, albergues, churches, etc is the best route to experience the totality of the Camino 'experience'. I think that in 2022 there will be substantial pilgrim numbers due to pent-up demand, & because it's a Holy Year, so I will start from St Jean in early April to minimise the competition for beds.
Autumn 2022 - Camino Norte/Primitivo. Start from Biarritz airport, onto the Norte at Irun & divert onto the Primitivo after Villaviciosa. I'm thinking this combination will be a nice contract between the coast & mountains. Commence in late August or early September to have warm weather while near the coast & to minimise the chance of snow in the mountains.
Spring 2023 - Camino Levante. I greatly enjoyed the Via de la Plata & want to do another of the quieter caminos. Start from Valencia or Alicante (advice please) mid-March to avoid the extreme heat in southern & central Spain.

Three caminos in a year may be ambitious but I'm currently healthy & fit. The clock is ticking! Comments please.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nice to have you with us. We live in Sydney and were going to walk the Bibbulman about now as a compensation for not doing a camino, but you know what happened there. Good luck with your itinerary. One suggestion - check out the Lana. It also starts from Alicante but has more manageable stages. You might even see us on it. Anyway, buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is my first substantive post on the forum although I have been an avid fan for a number of years & each Sunday enthusiastically look forward to perusing the weekly email.
I want to begin by thanking with gratitude every person who contributes to the forum ... Ivor, the moderators, those who post questions or thoughts, & all those who respond. I have learnt so much, both from both the practical & spiritual (is that the 'right' word?) viewpoints.

I will not be walking this year, (I'm an Aussie from Perth), but am optimistic about being able to return to the Camino beginning in the 2022 northern hemisphere Spring. Here's my Camino Plan for 2022-23:
Spring 2022 - Camino Frances. I have already walked the Frances (my first camino) but thought it's the right time to return to this route because it is likely to have the most infrastructure for pilgrims. Also, I'll be walking with a newbie & I believe that the Frances with it's history, albergues, churches, etc is the best route to experience the totality of the Camino 'experience'. I think that in 2022 there will be substantial pilgrim numbers due to pent-up demand, & because it's a Holy Year, so I will start from St Jean in early April to minimise the competition for beds.
Autumn 2022 - Camino Norte/Primitivo. Start from Biarritz airport, onto the Norte at Irun & divert onto the Primitivo after Villaviciosa. I'm thinking this combination will be a nice contract between the coast & mountains. Commence in late August or early September to have warm weather while near the coast & to minimise the chance of snow in the mountains.
Spring 2023 - Camino Levante. I greatly enjoyed the Via de la Plata & want to do another of the quieter caminos. Start from Valencia or Alicante (advice please) mid-March to avoid the extreme heat in southern & central Spain.

Three caminos in a year may be ambitious but I'm currently healthy & fit. The clock is ticking! Comments please.
Very ambitious - I wish you well. I'm from Brisbane, and kinda hoping to head to the Via de La Plata after Anzac Day. Time will tell.
Will you be ok with the 90 day Schengen visa with all those Caminos?

Looks like a great plan! Let's hope we get to the 80% vaccinated so that our borders open up (I'm from Melbourne, in lockdown 6.0). My wife and I did an epic walk from Switzerland, where she was born to SdC in 2018, 2178km, 133 walking days, and in Spain we walked the Norte, starting from Hendaye/Irun on 3 September. We didn't do the Primitivo, but we went down to Oviedo, and then back up to the Norte. The weather was very pleasant, and it's only in October that it started getting wet.

We're dual nationals, so we didn't have any issues with the 90 day Schengen rule. I'm assuming you're returning to Perth (stands for Perfect Earth 😄 ) in between each Camino?

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks a terrific plan. I will be walking the Norte at exactly the same time as you. -starting from Irun on 28th August

Nice to have you with us. We live in Sydney and were going to walk the Bibbulman about now as a compensation for not doing a camino, but you know what happened there. Good luck with your itinerary. One suggestion - check out the Lana. It also starts from Alicante but has more manageable stages. You might even see us on it. Anyway, buen camino.
I spent my first 58 years in Sydney. Been in Perth since 2014. I've been walking the Bibbulmun N2S bit by bit over the last few years & am now about halfway (482 km completed). Doing the next section, Donnelly River to Pemberton (101 km) from the 13 September. It's an awesome walk!

Looks like a great plan! Let's hope we get to the 80% vaccinated so that our borders open up (I'm from Melbourne, in lockdown 6.0). My wife and I did an epic walk from Switzerland, where she was born to SdC in 2018, 2178km, 133 walking days, and in Spain we walked the Norte, starting from Hendaye/Irun on 3 September. We didn't do the Primitivo, but we went down to Oviedo, and then back up to the Norte. The weather was very pleasant, and it's only in October that it started getting wet.

We're dual nationals, so we didn't have any issues with the 90 day Schengen rule. I'm assuming you're returning to Perth (stands for Perfect Earth 😄 ) in between each Camino?

Buen Camino!
Yes, coming back to Perth in between so I believe the Schengen rule won't be an issue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks a terrific plan. I will be walking the Norte at exactly the same time as you. -starting from Irun on 28th August
I intend to fly into Biarritz then walk two moderate days to Irun. Evidently the first day on the Norte, Irun to San Sebastion is tough.

Very ambitious - I wish you well. I'm from Brisbane, and kinda hoping to head to the Via de La Plata after Anzac Day. Time will tell.
I started the VdlP at the end of March as I don't enjoy the heat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be SLOW walking the Frances from SJPP starting on April 1, 2022. If you start after that, you will catch up to me. Enjoy your Caminos.
Buen Caminos!
I'll probably start on 7 April to, hopefully, cross into Spain via the Napoleon route.

Great plan Streetfood. We are also hoping for a Spring return to family in France and a Camino (somewhere).
Re quieter Caminos, we haven’t walked the Levante, but v much enjoyed both the Mozarabe (finishing in Merida which you will remember from VdeP) and the Madrid route.
Enjoy!

I want to begin by thanking with gratitude every person who contributes to the forum ... Ivar, the moderators, those who post questions or thoughts, & all those who respond. I have learnt so much, both from both the practical & spiritual (is that the 'right' word?) viewpoints.

Welcome out of the closet, pilgrim!

I am also one of those who are just waiting to return to my Camino.

I think your choice of taking your friend on the CF is perfect - It is a true experience! I will be doing it again as soon as I feel confident, regarding this idiotic pandemic.

Buen Camino to you and your friend, who I suppose will be quite impressed: I hope he will take in the Camino spirit & experience as well. But then again, he is lucky to have an experienced peregrino to assist him.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome out of the closet, pilgrim!

I am also one of those who are just waiting to return to my Camino.

I think your choice of taking your friend on the CF is perfect - It is a true experience! I will be doing it again as soon as I feel confident, regarding this idiotic pandemic.

Buen Camino to you and your friend, who I suppose will be quite impressed: I hope he will take in the Camino spirit & experience as well. But then again, he is lucky to have an experienced peregrino to assist him.
Hi alexwalker & thanks for the heads up. The 'he' you refer to is actually a 'she'! In 2019 I walked the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to SdC. Helen joined me in Porto. It was her first Camino & she loved the experience. But as you probably know the Portuguese is entirely different from the Frances & at this time I think Helen would greatly benefit from walking the Frances. Hence, along with the potential difficulties brought about by the pandemic, it's the right time to return to the Frances.

Impressed by your plans👣👣
Also from Perth, I'm still 'sitting on the fence' for a Camino return!!
Have a friend on the Bibbulum at present from Collie to Albany and absolutely enjoying it and as I'd thought about it too for a September start, now I'm a bit sorry my plan didn't go ahead.
Never mind...while on a wildflower trip 2 weeks ago and visiting New Norcia en route, I thought about the Camino Salvado💡 from Subiaco to New Norcia, so yes.....starting 19th September for 8 days.
Buen Camino on the Bibbulum 👣👣

love a positive person ! Next year I planed to finish the Camino in April and then in August Croatia sail and walking Plit lakes tour and October a walking tour of Slovenia & Chernobyl .. I am not going to die wondering lol

€60,-
Hi, @Streetfood,
Walk to you drop, I say! Looks like a great plan. I absolutely loved the Levante, and found that an early May start was the perfect time to catch bright green fields and lots of wildflowers. Nothing wrong with an earlier start, of course, but I think historical patterns of rain make March through early April rainier. But of course you never know.

Wishing you wonderful camios, Laurie

You may have nudged me to start the Frances earlier next year (with a newbie) The Primativo is also on my list so if you are ahead of me - then I will look forward to your informative tips

love a positive person ! Next year I planed to finish the Camino in April and then in August Croatia sail and walking Plit lakes tour and October a walking tour of Slovenia & Chernobyl .. I am not going to die wondering lol
One of Wayne Dyer's secrets for a great life was, "Don't die with your music still in you."

Hi, @Streetfood,
Walk to you drop, I say! Looks like a great plan. I absolutely loved the Levante, and found that an early May start was the perfect time to catch bright green fields and lots of wildflowers. Nothing wrong with an earlier start, of course, but I think historical patterns of rain make March through early April rainier. But of course you never know.

Wishing you wonderful camios, Laurie
Hi Peregrina2000, Where did you start?

You may have nudged me to start the Frances earlier next year (with a newbie) The Primativo is also on my list so if you are ahead of me - then I will look forward to your informative tips
My thought, (of course I could be totally wrong!), is that there will be a huge number of non-european peregrinos busting to return ASAP. Hence the early April start.

Hi Peregrina2000, Where did you start?
I started in Valencia on May 3, 2013. I have a blog:

Surely it is out of date, but the route is pretty much the same, so the pictures should give you some idea of the conditions. It is a great camino, lots of wide open spaces and castles!

I don’t know if you like doing detailed planning, but a bunch of us participated on a detailed planning thread that went stage by stage, with prospective pilgrims asking questions and some veterans responding. It is long but was a very fun distraction while homebound during covid.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/detailed-stage-planning-—-camino-de-levante-cam%C3%AD-de-llevant.68299/

Buen camino, Laurie

You have a funny name.
You’ll be one of the one million Aussies dying to get out next year ( et moi) and half a million wanting to do a Camino, a quarter of them the Frances. I dare not hope but luck being kind to me I’ll be on the Frances too at that time, if ….. You brave lucky optimistic good chappy… what a nice thing to be doing with someone you enjoy being with. My first was the Frances, started in early May 2017. Eons ago. Anyway, sounds like a plan and a good one. Greetings and all the best from a fellow pilgrim and fellow countryman on the other side.

I know exactly how you feel. The luxury of aging is the ability to regain our time and to use it as we see fit. The agony of aging is knowing the clock is ticking and things are without a doubt finite. So you go and you do 3 great caminos. I am off to do the VDLP in October and unless they close the country down I will be in Sevilla. Just talked to some wonderful Aussie friends I met in 2019 and we are going to chat soon about an early spring 2022 Camino. They were supposed to walk the VDLP with me this year. Buen Buen Camino

I started in Levante on May 3, 2013. I have a blog:

Surely it is out of date, but the route is pretty much the same, so the pictures should give you some idea of the conditions. It is a great camino, lots of wide open spaces and castles!

I don’t know if you like doing detailed planning, but a bunch of us participated on a detailed planning thread that went stage by stage, with prospective pilgrims asking questions and some veterans responding. It is long but was a very fun distraction while homebound during covid.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/detailed-stage-planning-—-camino-de-levante-cam%C3%AD-de-llevant.68299/

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie,
These are my favorite kinds of threads and I never know how to save them. I know that we have a bookmark tab under our user name but how do I save this Levante thread and others I want to save. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am worn out already, thinking of the plane journeys between each camino. I come from Scotland, and Australia was my first dream place, though I have yet to realise that dream. Ireland caught me first...
I wish you the very best for each of your coming caminos, and health and strength to complete each one of them.

Laurie,
These are my favorite kinds of threads and I never know how to save them. I know that we have a bookmark tab under our user name but how do I save this Levante thread and others I want to save. Thanks.
Upper right there’s a little bookmark icon

A83B2FB5-9C52-4899-8526-795954E1FABD.jpeg
Click, add title (in this case I wrote “Levante”)

to find, under your account click bookmark list

E5F63DE6-EE98-4CA7-BA4C-9F279F926244.jpeg
Find which bookmarked item you want
BC52002F-2AED-445B-A711-57475873A627.jpeg

Click on its number

E7A56499-4F9D-41BE-A4F5-F6DA62A6989C.jpeg

Last edited:
I know exactly how you feel. The luxury of aging is the ability to regain our time and to use it as we see fit. The agony of aging is knowing the clock is ticking and things are without a doubt finite. So you go and you do 3 great caminos. I am off to do the VDLP in October and unless they close the country down I will be in Sevilla. Just talked to some wonderful Aussie friends I met in 2019 and we are going to chat soon about an early spring 2022 Camino. They were supposed to walk the VDLP with me this year. Buen Buen Camino
Hi It56ny, You'll love the VdlP. A less travelled route, (but still well marked) so there is a big sense of adventure. Lots of wide open spaces with amazing vistas!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi It56ny, You'll love the VdlP. A less travelled route, (but still well marked) so there is a big sense of adventure. Lots of wide open spaces with amazing vistas!
If you think the Vdlp has wide open vistas, just wait till you hit the Levante! And not just plain old wide open vistas — those wide open vistas often include a castle on a hill in front of you!

Hi Streetfood, good luck next year, my wife and I are hoping to restart our yearly walks in April as well, probably the del Norte at this stage. Your plans sound excellent, my only concern when I read your proposed itinerary was how would you fit all that in with the Schengen zone visa restrictions. The old 180 day drama that pops up on these pages a lot.

I started in Valencia on May 3, 2013. I have a blog:

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, have you decided that you can go back to the camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back