Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A planned albergue and just where it is needed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No other news than this.
I too concur with what the Asociación says in that it is a great location. Plus it is a good use for a building which has not been used for many a year.
News in spanish
Great news. And the location couldn't be better to cut in half quite tough stage between Monforte de Lemos and Chantada. Also it gives much more options for stage planning. I would definitely try to stay there on my next Invierno. 24 beds are more than enough for this solitary Camino. With planned kitchen and Torre Vilarino not really far away give two options for dinner.

It reminds me of an albergue in Buiza on del Salvador:
2016-06-17 08.27.54.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
that is very good news for the camino invierno. the part from quiroga to lalin has some fairly long days with not so easy terrain.

and it's close to the viewpoint of the famous bend of the river mino, to boot.

That would be Cabo do Mundo, no? I am SO SO sorry I didn't take that little side trip, just a very short walk from where we stayed in Torre Vilarinho.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cab...iazMXVAhWD34MKHVhOASAQsAQIJw&biw=1920&bih=950

Yes, that is the viewpoint. Rebekah put it on the cover of one of her first Invierno guides, if I remember correctly. I didn't go there either and later regretted it. But it was a long day, with the main descent and climb still to come.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No other news than this.
I too concur with what the Asociación says in that it is a great location. Plus it is a good use for a building which has not been used for many a year.
News in spanish

Just wondering if you have any updates, Ian (working on the forum 2018 guide). I have tried google.es and don't find anything. Wondering if there is a targeted opening date, or at least if the work is going forward. Thanks! Buen camino, Laurie

News about the possible facilities in Monforte de Lemos is that he project seriously lacks funds. Seems as if that is dead for the time being.:(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I asked Susana (Torre Vilariño) about this yesterday. She said some neighbors have filed a lawsuit to stop the Albergue. So things will be tied up for years.

She and I talked about the fundamental problem that without a good albergue structure, the numbers just will not grow.

I don’t know what is going on bc it seems like there are way too many stalled plans for albergues — Monforte, pobra, Médulas (though the private one seems to be opening) and this one, and there may be more.

The hostal owner in Borrenes (working on a private albergue) has been in touch with Torre Vilariño to see about forming an association. That seems like an essential first step but without municipal government buy-in, I’m not sure much can happen.

some neighbors have filed a lawsuit to stop the Albergue.
Lovely, just lovely. A pity that whoever it is can't see beyond whatever their small agenda is.

I don’t know what is going on bc it seems like there are way too many stalled plans for albergues — Monforte, pobra, Médulas (though the private one seems to be opening) and this one, and there may be more.
Yes. Strange. I wonder if all the stalled plans are the result of similar hang-ups, or if it's a perfect storm of merging but diverse conditions.

It has been my experience that there is usually a hidden agenda when things like this happen. Local politics or feuds amongst neighbors etc seem to play a part. I just hope that Asún was not caught up in something like this but from the sound of it maybe there are health issues going on which would explain her absence.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I asked Susana (Torre Vilariño) about this yesterday. She said some neighbors have filed a lawsuit to stop the Albergue. So things will be tied up for years.

She and I talked about the fundamental problem that without a good albergue structure, the numbers just will not grow.

The hostal owner in Borrenes (working on a private albergue) has been in touch with Torre Vilariño to see about forming an association. That seems like an essential first step but without municipal government buy-in, I’m not sure much can happen.
Well, it's Spain (and not only Spain)...

Nevertheless it's the kind of news we don't like to hear really. And there is definitely the connection between pilgrim infrastructure and numbers of pilgrims. Guidebooks aren't that much essential anymore as they were few years ago. Maps.me, OSMand, Wikiloc etc. doing the job.

BTW Laurie, there is very nice muni albergue now in A Pobra do Brollon within polideportivo. @Charrito posted a photo of dormitory in one of the recent Invierno threads.

Enjoy Invierno ;)

Well, it's Spain (and not only Spain)...

Nevertheless it's the kind of news we don't like to hear really. And there is definitely the connection between pilgrim infrastructure and numbers of pilgrims. Guidebooks aren't that much essential anymore as they were few years ago. Maps.me, OSMand, Wikiloc etc. doing the job.

BTW Laurie, there is very nice muni albergue now in A Pobra do Brollon within polideportivo. @Charrito posted a photo of dormitory in one of the recent Invierno threads.

Enjoy Invierno ;)
Yes, I was told it’s really nice and free (no donativo possible). The problem is that it’s only available when school is not in session. It was intended as a stopgap measure but the albergue plans seen to be languishing in bureaucrat-landia. Today was Diomondi, down to the river and up the other side. So gorgeous. A very short day and I loved it!!!

Today was Diomondi, down to the river and up the other side. So gorgeous. A very short day and I loved it!!!
I was thinking of you when I was in airport-landia, and on the plane. Such a superb day....
May you have stellar weather for Monte Faro tomorrow!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think one hangup the Invierno faces is it is not historically a camino trail. The people who live along there may have a history of hosting travelers and holding local romerias, but they don't have the long-term pilgrim-caring tradition and juju that other caminos enjoy. As in most of Spain, taking care of travelers is a business, (Asun and her mom not withstanding!) not a lot of those folks are going to volunteer their spare time to run a non-profit pilgrim establishment, or use their public money to open one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back