• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A plea!

Peggy and David

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis Fall 2018
I know this topic has been posted several times, but please (ladies primarily) do not leave toilet paper on the trail (or off)! I recently finished the Camino Francis and was dismayed that Pilgrims would disrespect the way for others by carelessly discarding their used tissue. Carrying a small plastic bag adds little weight and can be a receptacle for paper until you get to a trash bin. Better yet, small panty liners allow "drip dry" with no discomfort and are available in every Farmacia and supermacado. Please spread the word!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I so agree with you - and, yes, it is females .. something to do with the different plumbing down there I think.

I'm fairly certain that the main reason I live alone (apart from being a grumpy old codger) is that I cannot afford the cost of the toilet paper being in a relationship causes. I use one roll about every two weeks but if I have females visit - well, one female for two nights and two or more rolls of toilet paper gone, every time!! - maybe they put it all into a big plastic bag to distribute on the Camino? 🧘‍♀️

signed: confused singleton male :D;)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wish I had an idea for proper communication of this standard to the offenders. This forum is filled with like minded anti-trash people-- and some of us even do some pick-up on our walks.
But with 300,000 people a year walking the end, even a small percentage can leave a lot of tissue. And I believe that once the tissue is there, it encourages others to abuse the landscape.

I grew up in a family of seven girls! We were restricted to 2 squares for number 1! 😂 Fortunately, we were unrestricted for number 2! 😂😂

Two brothers & a toilet shared by 4 (mom got her own) that clogged easily. My dad followed my fiance into the bathroom to show him how many sheets to use and how to fold them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I so agree with you - and, yes, it is females .. something to do with the different plumbing down there I think.

I'm fairly certain that the main reason I live alone (apart from being a grumpy old codger) is that I cannot afford the cost of the toilet paper being in a relationship causes. I use one roll about every two weeks but if I have females visit - well, one female for two nights and two or more rolls of toilet paper gone, every time!! - maybe they put it all into a big plastic bag to distribute on the Camino? 🧘‍♀️

David, I think your problem is that you live ON the Camino Frances...but are confused and think you live elsewhere.😂

Two brothers & a toilet shared by 4 (mom got her own) that clogged easily. My dad followed my fiance into the bathroom to show him how many sheets to use and how to fold them.
As an engineering student I went on a site visit to the huge Crossness sewage treatment plant in London. Three 11'-6" pipes feed into a chamber with a steel barred grille which acts as a screen.
Another student asked what was the most unusual thing they'd seen coming through.
One operative turned to another and said: "That would be the Honda motorbike? The 650?"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When growing up, my mom showed us 5 kids how much toilet paper we were allowed to use. It was 2 squares for #1 for us girls, and 4 squares(at a time) for #2...no exceptions. She also taught us to wad it, whereas my OH learned to fold it in his family. TMI, TMI!😂

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wish I had an idea for proper communication of this standard to the offenders. This forum is filled with like minded anti-trash people-- and some of us even do some pick-up on our walks.
But with 300,000 people a year walking the end, even a small percentage can leave a lot of tissue. And I believe that once the tissue is there, it encourages others to abuse the landscape.
For campers who “leave no trace”, a trowel is standard equipment for burying biodegradable items... maybe there are plastic(lightweight) ones

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know this topic has been posted several times, but please (ladies primarily) do not leave toilet paper on the trail (or off)! I recently finished the Camino Francis and was dismayed that Pilgrims would disrespect the way for others by carelessly discarding their used tissue. Carrying a small plastic bag adds little weight and can be a receptacle for paper until you get to a trash bin. Better yet, small panty liners allow "drip dry" with no discomfort and are available in every Farmacia and supermacado. Please spread the word!
I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, the people who visit this forum are probably the least likely culprits.

It's ever thus. When I completed my CF, I posted something very similar, and it's a recurring theme. Maybe the registration office should issue a box of biodegradable tissues to every hiker! :)

Me too. I am convinced they secretly eat the stuff. Also, I have noticed that the furniture always seems to get mysteriously rearranged...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Me too. I am convinced they secretly eat the stuff. Also, I have noticed that the furniture always seems to get mysteriously rearranged...
Pilgrims certainly steal it! I've recounted before my lapse in leaving an unopened 12 pack of toilet rolls unattended for 5 minutes and every one of them was taken!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
?? I keep reading that but can't figure out the connection between being the father of daughters and thieving pilgrims? 🤔 What am I missing? 😕
I thought you meant at home your daughters took it all for their bathroom after you returned from the store with it! 😂
Oops, sorry, I forgot you were a hospi, I think?!😁

I thought you meant at home your daughters took it all for their bathroom after you returned from the store with it! 😂
Oops, sorry, I forgot you were a hospi, I think?!😁
Oh! That's me being dense! No, I was at Rabanal. Somebody was taken ill as I was replenishing the upstairs toilets and Woosh! the 12 rolls disappeared like magic - it was like David Copperfield (the magician - not the Dickens character).
That's not to say that there's not always something to be "replenished" when I visit my girls' flat!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had brought some ‘doggy bags’ along in case I had a problem. Somewhere on the meseta I noticed a woman heading towards the Camino, leaving behind some TP. I gallantly offered one of my doggy bags, but she did not seem to appreciate it. Maybe because it was red in color with pictures of pizza slices on it, Quien sabe?

I’ve felt the same and last time I took an t-shirt bag and picked up a lot. The bag issuance when getting your credentials is a great idea. But in any event, it would be nice if we just cared more about our environment.
After all we learn to pick up after our dogs
We should do the same for ourselves.
I know I’m preaching to The choir.
Ultria

Obviously you like to focus on the big issues of life, Dave..
:D

I carry little biodegradable doggy doody bags. It's a habit of having three dogs. I just can't comprehend leaving anything behind and honestly dread seeing that part of the CF on my first trip in a few weeks.

By the way David, there are four of us in my home: two males, two females (two adults and two teenagers). My husband uses more toilet paper than the rest of us combined, so I'm not sure about a M vs F thing. At least he isn't on here to know I shared that!

Last edited:
I carry little biodegradable doggy doody bags. It's a habit of having three dogs. I just can't comprehend leaving anything behind and honestly dread seeing that part of the CF on my first trip in a few weeks.

By the way David, there are four of us in my home: two males, two females (two adults and two teenagers). My husband uses more toilet paper than the rest of us combined, so I'm not sure about a M vs F thing. At least he isn't on here to know I shared that!
I’d be interested to know how biodegradable these really are though? To be honest, i don’t have a dog so I’ve not see what the biodegradable ones look like but round where I live, people seem to think it’s ok to leave bags of poo hanging from trees thinking the council workers are going to pick them up, it’s crazy!

Last edited:
I’m going to put both hands up and admit I’m guilty of leaving toilet roll on the camino! I came on here to start a post but found this one already started. I have probably done it 1 to 2 times a day during about 30 days of walking. Phew, that was nice to get that out of my system.

To be honest, where I live is pretty rural and I’ve never been told it’s not ok to leave toilet paper the odd time as there’s so few walkers and I guess it degrades eventually but I wonder how long?! I am unconvinced by biodegradable bags to be honest and feel that’s possibly worse (But I haven’t researched this) than leaving a little bit of loo roll well off the path and wedged under a rock or log so it won’t blow away (which I always do). Though maybe those talking about doggy bags take them to a bin?

Anyway, I never really thought much about this practice of leaving loo roll until on the camino and seeing a lot. So towards the end I did try to carry it with me. I will do this every time on my next camino and I’ve been thinking the best way to do this. I guess a zip lock bag as I do not wish to carry a trowel, does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks, Lynda

And then there's #2! We carried a few biodegradable dog poo bags from the States should an unexpected urge have arisen (fit into the lowest pocket on Osprey made for the rain fly). Per US National Park standards, pack it ALL out.

Ditto on the pantiliner comment (even my 11 year old used one for this purpose).

AND we each carried two of these fab flannel wipes--one for sniffles, one for dribbles--color-coded and easy to wash out each night.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WBKNK9/?tag=casaivar02-20

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Multiply the eventually biodegradable tissue and the human waste by the 300,000 people who pass by and it becomes a real problem. It is the population of a mid-size city.
A Public Health nurse I sometimes walk with always reminds me that longevity has come primarily from better sanitation, food, and water then secondarily by vaccinations.

I’m going to put both hands up and admit I’m guilty of leaving toilet roll on the camino! I came on here to start a post but found this one already started. I have probably done it 1 to 2 times a day during about 30 days of walking. Phew, that was nice to get that out of my system.

To be honest, where I live is pretty rural and I’ve never been told it’s not ok to leave toilet paper the odd time as there’s so few walkers and I guess it degrades eventually but I wonder how long?! I am unconvinced by biodegradable bags to be honest and feel that’s possibly worse (But I haven’t researched this) than leaving a little bit of loo roll well off the path and wedged under a rock or log so it won’t blow away (which I always do). Though maybe those talking about doggy bags take them to a bin?

Anyway, I never really thought much about this practice of leaving loo roll until on the camino and seeing a lot. So towards the end I did try to carry it with me. I will do this every time on my next camino and I’ve been thinking the best way to do this. I guess a zip lock bag as I do not wish to carry a trowel, does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks, Lynda
I take them to a bin. I never leave them out for someone else to deal with.

Biodegradable dog poo bags can completely decompose in 3-6 months. There are still far more brands that aren't biodegradable so you have to research them first. 3-6 months is a whole lot better than hundreds of years.

Good topic to be brought up, but unfortunately there is no way that the average pilgrim is going to carry in their packs, or anywhere on their person, shite smeared toilet paper from the bowel movement they had while on the Camino path. It is simply not going to happen. It would be nice if they at least buried it, but again the average pilgrim is not going to carry around a small trowel for that purpose.
Just something that has to be put up with. Like graffiti and the occasional obnoxious drunken pilgrim rattling at the locked albergue door at 2 am.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You carried it in, you can carry it out. I admit to only kicking donkey poo to the side of the track when out in the country. In towns I used to bag it up using two bags. Little one to be a glove, supermarket bag to hold the poo. Luckily donkey poo isn't too offensive. Then the contents went into a field and the bags into a bin.
As for myself, I carried the tp out in a plastic bag. I once or twice had to use a ditch or dig a hole with a stick for more serious matters.
But that shouldn't be a regular occurrence if you do what my mother told me and go before you go....

I’m so luck I’ve never had to do a number 2 out in the open! It would be awful to be ill in that sort of way on the Camino! 😳 I think I’m more considerate than many by putting my toilet paper under a rock and a never met one person in all my walking that I know for sure carries a trowel or takes their toilet paper with them but I guess it’s not something talked about very much but I will next time and I’ll think of some suitable way to store the user paper as I walk. I agree the paper is unpleasant but I didn’t seem to see that much of it tbh (I would have expected much more!) but perhaps there were people cleaning it all up when I was walking the Frances. Though I think there’s a lot more people leaving paper than would admit it, not many would post openly like I have but it’s all learning.

I thought I was a pretty average person but now I’m doubting that assessment. I plan on carrying décomposable bags for toilet paper and a trowel as my colon has a mind of its own (despite the numerous villages in the Camino). I need to be prepared for all Contingencies and want to leave it like I found it as much as possible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well maybe I’m confused. Because do you plan to leave the bag where you do to the toilet on th Camino or carry that with you? You did say you will have a trowel so maybe you will bury it but why not then just bury the tissue paper? Because if people leave the decompostable bag lying out in the open that’s also an eyesore and it will decompose perhaps quicker than the tissue paper in it then leaving tissue.... so I think it one needs to leave tissue paper then putting it completed under a rock or log if unable to carry it with them seems better than a bag left there. But anyway, I think you probably mean you will carry the bag to a bin but I’m not sure what others would do with a decompostable bag.
I guess it’s easier for the majority of men as they can indeed get away with less paper generally! Haha. Plus I don’t plan to use pantyliners as these are also bad for the environment even in the bin. It’s a difficult one, I think ziplock bag will be best and I will wash it somehow?!

Well maybe I’m confused. Because do you plan to leave the bag where you do to the toilet on th Camino or carry that with you? You did say you will have a trowel so maybe you will bury it but why not then just bury the tissue paper? Because if people leave the decompostable bag lying out in the open that’s also an eyesore and it will decompose perhaps quicker than the tissue paper in it then leaving tissue.... so I think it one needs to leave tissue paper then putting it completed under a rock or log if unable to carry it with them seems better than a bag left there. But anyway, I think you probably mean you will carry the bag to a bin but I’m not sure what others would do with a decompostable bag.
I guess it’s easier for the majority of men as they can indeed get away with less paper generally! Haha. Plus I don’t plan to use pantyliners as these are also bad for the environment even in the bin. It’s a difficult one, I think ziplock bag will be best and I will wash it somehow?!
This was in reply to Dani7 and in general.

For fun, let me take an opposing view.

Carrying out the paper is one thing, and we should, but putting the poop into a bin down the road is another environmental issue. Before the bin gets collected, your poop will attract vermin. Landfills don't need biodegradable, compostable material in them. Such material stinks, creates methane gases, and fills up valuable landfill space. Compostables should be composted, not binned.

In arid conditions, poop will dessicate and breakdown quickly. Bugs can feast on the nutriants within. It's fertilizer. So ideally, the poop is deposited well off the trail and under some soil.

Adding a few hundred thousand plastic doggy bags to the landfill is not a solution.

I plan to bury the paper when I use a trowel and carry the paper when I just urinate. Throw away the bag in the next village. Easy peasy!

On my last Camino I had to take antibotics for infected feet, with the obvious result that it really upset my digestive system. My daughter who was walking with me christened me Crapsalot. My morning ritual of greasing my feet had to be extended to greasing a more intimate area. I already carry a small trowel, but a damp cloth in a zip lock bag was added, as was more yoghurt to my diet to help rebalance my system. I won't go into more detail, enough said that I am extreamly grateful to my daughter for carrying the extra water needed for cleaning and putting up with me. I think she suffered the indignantly almost as much as me. I also think I can kiss goodbye any chance of grandchildren after I reminded her that I used to carry a nappy bag and deal with worse from her.

At least plenty of trees on that remote route got an extra watering and fertiliser.

On my last Camino I had to take antibotics for infected feet, with the obvious result that it really upset my digestive system. My daughter who was walking with me christened me Crapsalot. My morning ritual of greasing my feet had to be extended to greasing a more intimate area. I already carry a small trowel, but a damp cloth in a zip lock bag was added, as was more yoghurt to my diet to help rebalance my system. I won't go into more detail, enough said that I am extreamly grateful to my daughter for carrying the extra water needed for cleaning and putting up with me. I think she suffered the indignantly almost as much as me. I also think I can kiss goodbye any chance of grandchildren after I reminded her that I used to carry a nappy bag and deal with worse from her.

At least plenty of trees on that remote route got an extra watering and fertiliser.

" I won't go into more detail ..." Good Lord, is that even possible? :D (But, seriously, congrats and thanks going the extra mile to maintain the trail!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Peggy and David for your post! This was and still is my main complaint about the Camino Frances. I too was appalled at the amount of toilet tissue left literally EVERYWHERE on the trail. PLEASE use the golden rule of pack it in and pack it out. There is really no excuse for this type of behavior and ruins the experience for the rest of us. IF one must use the toilet on the trail puuuulease pack out your soiled tissue. At the very very least dig a hole and bury your excrements. I saw some things on the trail that I'd rather not mention on this forum. PACK IT OUT!!!!!!

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Yep, disgusting. I expect you will find some more recent threads on this subject. Problem is, I suspect, that the people (people?) who do this probably never see these justified complaints.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Yep, disgusting. I expect you will find some more recent threads on this subject. Problem is, I suspect, that the people (people?) who do this probably never see these justified complaints.
People? All the white tissue, and just about all of it is, is all from females sadly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure about that… everyone needs TP for a certain function
Sure, but I think @David 's comment is justified nonetheless. On the CP this year, I didn't see or smell any faeces where I saw toilet paper, so I am prepared to suggest that women were responsible for that. In the past on the CF, there have been faeces, often left exposed with no apparent attempt to dig them in or cover them. Only in that circumstance would your comment apply.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.