Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Pobra do Brollón albergue, round three.

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
A Pobra do Brollón could really use an albergue, as the town is perfectly situated on the long stage between Quiroga and Monforte. It's not for lack of effort; people are trying.

Now for the third time the process has hit a snag:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This delay really makes things hard for those who don’t want to or can’t walk the 35 km from Quiroga to Monforte.

The Pensión Pacita is apparently still closed near Barxa de Lor. Didn’t someone visit there recently and say it was hopeful they would re-open soon?

This makes the Casa Rural in Salcedo the only option I can think of.

See this post for good information on different ways to get there. It is very walkable, and the path along the river looks very pretty. The next day you would have about 18 km walking into Monforte de Lemos. Having a short walk into a nice town like Monforte is a treat.

Does anyone know of other options to break up the Quiroga to Monforte stage?

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No. I was looking at maps to see of there was a viable alternative route and found an albergue in the middle of nowhere well South of Quiroga (Albergue de San Xoán) and a 1000 year-old cork oak. Very diverting, but no real alternatives.

This delay really makes things hard for those who don’t want to or can’t walk the 35 km from Qiroga to Monforte.

The Pensión Pacita is apparently still closed near Barxa de Lor. Didn’t someone visit there recently and say it was hopeful they would re-open soon?

Seethis postfor good inforation on different ways to get there. It is very walkable, and the path along the river looks very pretty. The next day you would have about 18 km walking into Monforte de Lemos. Having a short walk into a nice town like Monforte is a treat.

Buen camino, Laurie
Happy 2022 to all. I went by Casa Pacita this November just to say Hello. Pacita is very sick and recovering slowly. Please keep her, her husband & son in your prayers. As of yet no immediate plans to re-open.

This delay really makes things hard for those who don’t want to or can’t walk the 35 km from Qiroga to Monforte.

Seethis postfor good inforation on different ways to get there. It is very walkable, and the path along the river looks very pretty. The next day you would have about 18 km walking into Monforte de Lemos. Having a short walk into a nice town like Monforte is a treat.

Buen camino, Laurie
Am I missing something? The Dutch Confraternity show a number of options in association with their map. One option is https://casasuarna.com/tarifas-hotel.asp for example.

Am I in the correct part of Spain?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is a screenshot of the list of accommodation that they have associated with the Invierno.
Screenshot_20220102-102643.png
It appears 7th from the top. In addition the place immediately below it, Hostal As Viñas, is in the same town but I can't find it via Google. The Dutch do publish the address and phone number though.

If anyone wants this information and can't access the Dutch map themselves then I could re-publish it, on request.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ah, the Hostal As Viñas. I stayed there once — Lovely couple, good home-cooked food, all clothes washed for you. For years it was on the verge of closing, the older couple trying to cajole their son to take over the business. He was working there, but not loving it and finally must have gotten a job he liked better. So they closed it.

Kinky has told great stories about his beer-drinking afternoons with the owner.

After the pensión closed, the town started with the makeshift albergue in the polideportivo, at least during summer months. It’s been several years, and it looks like it won’t be anytime soon.

And the Hotel Casa Suarna is in a town called Proba, so maybe they mixed it up with Pobra de Brollón.

Thanks for the sleuthing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't want to beat a dead horse, just clarify. As of today 19 March 2022, Gronz esays "The reception of pilgrims in a room of the municipal sports center, which has been in operation since 2018, has been definitively cancelled." Other sources (maybe this list, maybe somewhere else) indicated the Polideportivo would stay open to pilgrims until the planned albergue is completed. Brierly actually lists the Polideportivo as if its an Albergue. Does anyone know the skinny on this?

I don't want to beat a dead horse, just clarify. As of today 19 March 2022, Gronz says "The reception of pilgrims in a room of the municipal sports center, which has been in operation since 2018, has been definitively cancelled." Other sources (maybe this list, maybe somewhere else) indicated the Polideportivo would stay open to pilgrims until the planned albergue is completed. Brierly actually lists the Polideportivo as if its an Albergue. Does anyone know the skinny on this?
I have never been really clear on where the municipal offering was — some talked about it being in a school building, others in the polideportivo. If it were I, which unfortunately it is not, I would take the river path from Barxa de Lor to Salcedo. There are a couple of posts on the forum about this option, and I think it‘s a great way to shorten the stage from Quiroga to Monforte.

But there are several forum members out there on the Invierno — any info on what you have found or not found in Pobra de Brollón would be a great help!

I think I am going to tentatively plan on the Salcedo option also. My route planning is getting a bit out of kilter because I suspect Pension Pacita will not open. Gronze has changed what it says again and now says "Note 2022: The Pacita boarding house is closed due to force majeure, it is unknown if it will reopen]. Very close, in the place of A Labrada and only 350 meters from the road, is the Pacita pension (recommended by pilgrims) with a bar-restaurant and rooms; those who decide to have a drink or spend the night there should turn left once they have crossed the medieval bridge." So I don't know what that means! And the new albergue at Diomondi is not going to be open either. eyeroll! I love doing all this route planning and I know it goes right out the window the minute we start walking, but.....

€46,-
I have been thinking about walking the Invierno again at the end of my fall camino (just starting to plan). But, if it remains closed, I can't think how I could manage the section of the route where I stayed in Pension Pacita. I am also concerned about the health of the kind hostess.

Looking over my notes from last September, in Quiroga and trying to figure a plan for the 35km to Monteforte:

I have a dilemma: tomorrow is a 35km day with no services for much of the way, and without any communications I have no idea about the weather or if I can find a place to sleep. A solution to the problem seems to present itself when the two guys from the Canaries turn up at the next table for dinner and we start talking. After a few minutes of trying to shout across the tables, they invite me to join them. They tell me there is a massive forest fire raging on the mountain ahead. It probably explains the power outage the other night a few towns back, all communications being out today with no phones or internet in the whole town, the constant sound of choppers in the sky lately and the municipal albergue being apparently taken over by the Bombeiros and Guardia Civil when I passed it earlier. Anyway, they have secured a lift for 15km from a local man in the morning to get past the fires and the smoke, and effectively shorten the day to 20km and asked if I'd like to share. It will save me preparing food for the way again and probably spare me from choking on smoke so I'll see them in the morning, the Camino provides as they say...

We were given a lift, out of the Sil valley as far as the medieval bridge over the Rio Lor.. Perhaps an option? It took the uncertainty out of the day for me for sure!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Because Pacita is sick, this past November I stayed in Salcedo. Not a great experience though the room & bath were more than what a Peregrino needs. The owner was distraught over the rising costs of everything & couldn’t stop talking about this. Not open til 9 am, left without even coffee in a thermos, a dealbreaker for me. Great breakfast options in A Pobra. Better options are required here, otherwise it hurts this entire Camiño.

Note 2022: The Pacita boarding house is closed due to force majeure, it is unknown if it will reopen]. Very close, in the place of A Labrada and only 350 meters from the road, is the Pacita pension (recommended by pilgrims) with a bar-restaurant and rooms; those who decide to have a drink or spend the night there should turn left once they have crossed the medieval bridge."
Hi, Liz,
I just checked on Gronze, because I was going to write to tell them this is all messed up. But as far as I can see, Pensión Pacita (same, of course as Pacita boarding house), is no longer listed at all on the website. Do you see differently?

What seems like inconsistent directions may have to do with the fact that you can get to the pensión by taking the road before you cross the bridge, or cross the bridge (which is open for pedestrians only, I believe) and then head to the pensión. In any case, it was well marked, but all of that is likely a moot point now.

I can't think how I could manage the section of the route where I stayed in Pension Pacita.
AG, the option in Salcedo would be a good substitute. It can’t be more than 23 or so from Quiroga. You can walk to it on a path from Barxa de Lor, or on the road to an intersection just before entering Castroncelos where you will see a sign pointing to Salcedo. For those who use GPS. there are lots of wikiloc tracks.

Looks to me like Quiroga to Barxa de Lor is about 14-15 km, and then 9 km from Barxa de Lor to Salcedo on the path. I haven’t walked this path, but I definitely saw a sign indicating it when I last walked the Invierno.

The road option is about the same, or maybe even a little shorter. The road turnoff is clearly marked when you get to an intersection before entering Castroncelos.

Because Pacita is sick, this past November I stayed in Salcedo.
@El Cascayal, how did you get to Salcedo? I am sorry that you didn’t have a great experience. Maybe this was a one-off because the reviews are good. (one even comments on the coffee in a thermos, so maybe you got her on a really bad day!).

the option in Salcedo would be a good substitute. It can’t be more than 23 or so from Quiroga. You can walk to it on a path from Barxa de Lor, or on the road in Castroncelos where you will see a sign pointing to Salcedo. For those who use GPS. there are lots of wikiloc tracks.

Looks to me like Quiroga to Barxa de Lor is about 14-15 km, and then 9 km from Barxa de Lor to Salcedo on the path. I haven’t walked this path, but I definitely saw a sign indicating it when I last walked the Invierno.

The road option is about the same, or maybe even a little shorter. The road turnoff is clearly marked when you get to an intersection before entering Castroncelos.
Thank you. What I had read about getting to Salcedo in the past always indicated to me that pilgrims were telephoning and getting someone from Salcedo to pick them up at the road. This would not be an option for me, except in an emergency. But a 23 km walk is doable, in contrast to a 35 km one to Monteforte.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Plus -- if we stay in Salcedo, is there a better way than walking the road to regain the camino continuing to Monforte?
I think the best option is to rejoin the Camino at the turn-off on the road, which is before entering Castroncelos. To save a km or two, you can stay south of Pobra de Brollón by staying on the road (LU-P-4710 to LU-933) all the way to Monforte, and it looks like a provincial road is an option and not just the national highway.

But since it is a manageable stage, I would suggest taking the road back to the junction and getting on the camino to head through Pobra de Brollón (good coffee stop!) and then on into Monforte. You will be able to report back as to whether the mud quagmire is still there to make life interesting.

P.S. I am moving your stages to their own separate thread.

Hi, Liz,
I just checked on Gronze, because I was going to write to tell them this is all messed up. But as far as I can see, Pensión Pacita (same, of course as Pacita boarding house), is no longer listed at all on the website. Do you see differently?

What seems like inconsistent directions may have to do with the fact that you can get to the pensión by taking the road before you cross the bridge, or cross the bridge (which is open for pedestrians only, I believe) and then head to the pensión. In any case, it was well marked, but all of that is likely a moot point now.

AG, the option in Salcedo would be a good substitute. It can’t be more than 23 or so from Quiroga. You can walk to it on a path from Barxa de Lor, or on the road in Castroncelos where you will see a sign pointing to Salcedo. For those who use GPS. there are lots of wikiloc tracks.

@El Cascayal, how did you get to Salcedo? I am sorry that you didn’t have a great experience. Maybe this was a one-off because the reviews are good. (one even comments on the coffee in a thermos, so maybe you got her on a really bad day!).
1647800799846.jpeg

Hi, Liz,

AG, the option in Salcedo would be a good substitute. It can’t be more than 23 or so from Quiroga. You can walk to it on a path from Barxa de Lor, or on the road in Castroncelos where you will see a sign pointing to Salcedo. For those who use GPS. there are lots of wikiloc tracks.

@El Cascayal, how did you get to Salcedo? I am sorry that you didn’t have a great experience. Maybe this was a one-off because the reviews are good. (one even comments on the coffee in a thermos, so maybe you got her on a really bad day!)
Hi Laurie, I stayed at Casa Rural A Salanova en Salcedo. I got picked up at this fork in the road at the crossroads towards A Pobra. Walked back in the morning. Aymarah
PS: writing this right now from San Martín Pinario. Picture, hanging out the window, from my room.

Attachments

• 1647800838255.jpeg
    1647800838255.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • A40D5343-F0C9-4A60-81E1-D14575D4D2F9.jpeg
    A40D5343-F0C9-4A60-81E1-D14575D4D2F9.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 3

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back