• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A poem along the way - by whom?

Vigdis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008/2009, Roncesvalles-Burgos Oct. 2012
When walking in 2008, between Navarrete and Najera, I came across a poem written in Spanish on a wall along the way. It was very easy to spot. Don't know if it's still there, but I'm gonna look for it as I'll be walking on the same place in a couple of weeks time.

Does anybody know its origin? Who wrote it? It is signed E.G.B.
(have a picture of it on my computer, but it's not possible to load it up as far as I can find out).

I've always wondered about that poem :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have put the picture of the poem to my avatar so you all can see it and may be recognize it, and finally taken the time to write it down from the photo. I like it! :)

Here we go:

I
Polvo, barro sol y lluvia
es Camino de Santiago
Millares de peregrines
y mas de un millar de años

Peregrino, puien te llama?
Que fuerza oculta te atrae?
Ni el Campo de las Estrellas
ni las grandes catedrales

No es la bravura Navarra,
ni el vino de los riojanos
ni los mariscos gallegos
ni los campos castellanos

II
Peregrino, Quien te llama?
Que fuerza oculta te atrae?
Ni las gentes del Camino
Ni las costrumbes rurales

No es la historia y la cultura
ni el gallo de La Calzada
ni el palacio de Gaudi,
ni el Castillo Ponferrada

III
Codo lo veo al pasar,
y es un gozo verlo todo,
mas la voz que a mi me llama
la siento mucho mas hondo.

La fuerza que a mi me empuja
la fuerza que a mi me atrae,
no se explicarla ni yo
Solo el de Arriba lo sabe!

E.G.B.

And with google translater (not correctly, but we all understand it):

I
Dust, mud, sun and rain
Camino de Santiago is
Thousands of pilgrims
and more than a thousand years

Pilgrim puien calling you?
What hidden force attracts you?
Neither the Field of Stars
or the great cathedrals

It is the bravery Navarre
and the wine of La Rioja
Galician seafood or
nor the Castillian countryside

II
Pilgrim, who calls you?
What hidden force attracts you?
Neither the people of the Way
Neither rural costrumbes

Not the history and culture
or the rooster's Causeway
or the Palace of Gaudi
nor Castillo Ponferrada

III
I see him passing elbow,
and is a joy to see everything,
but the voice that calls me
I feel much more deeply.

The force that pushes me
force that attracts me,
I will not explain or
Up only knows!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, thanks Johnnie, - how very interesting to get to learn that... :)

As I say above, I have often wondered about that poem on the wall. And never forgot it.

Has it?
Wouldn’t know that.
How amazing.
Will probably see it again soon then :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have always loved this poem. It was there on my first Camino in 1999 but I believe it had been there for long before that. At that time it was in Spanish and German. I translated it to include it in Pilgrimage to Heresy. Alex reads it to Miranda.
Here is my translation: it may not be very accurate but it sure is nicer than the Google one! TS

"Dust, mud, sun and rain,
is the Way of Saint James;
thousands of pilgrims and more than a thousand years.
Pilgrim, who calls you? What dark force brings you here?
It's not the Way of the Stars, nor the grand cathedrals.
Neither is it the courage of Navarra,
or the wine of the people of La Rioja.
It's not the seafood of Galicia;
it's not the countryside of Castilla.
Pilgrim, who calls you?
What mysterious force attracts you?
It is not the people of the way or their rural customs.
Nor is it their history and culture.
It isn't the cockerel of la Calzada,
Gaudi's palace,
nor the castle in Ponferrada.
Everything you see in passing is a joy;
and the voice which calls me,
makes me feel much deeper.
The force which pulls me, attracts me,
I cannot explain it.
Only he above knows why.
Eugenio Gariibay
Amigos Camino Santiago (Najara)

http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Thanks Tracey - you've inspired me to sit down and work on a translation myself! Yours is good,

Andy

May be it's you, Caminando.
I am not sour.
I did not mind your answer.
I liked being informed of the fact you gave, cause I did not know the poem has been there for 20 years. I added a smile hoping to be understood right. My answer was not meant sarcastic if that's what you mean.
I realize though that my English and the way I express myself could have been better, but English is not my first language. Sorry about that.

And Priscillian:
A pleasure to read your version of the poem :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Tracey - you've inspired me to sit down and work on a translation myself! Yours is good,

Andy
I sat down to translate it, but the first line came out, "There once was a man from Nantucket..." I suppose I should learn more Spanish before I try again. :D :D

Vigdis said:
May be it's you, Caminando.
I am not sour.
I did not mind your answer.
I liked being informed of the fact you gave, cause I did not know the poem has been there for 20 years. I added a smile hoping to be understood right. My answer was not meant sarcastic if that's what you mean.
I realize though that my English and the way I express myself could have been better, but English is not my first language. Sorry about that.

And Priscillian:
A pleasure to read your version of the poem :)

Hi V

I have absolutely no issue at all about your English which is excellent - better than many native speakers - and even if it were not I am honoured that you use it at any level. In fact, your use of English is so good, that the meaning of your caustic post is crystal clear.

My info is also clear - that the poem has been there a long time, which does not mean anything more than it's a long term camino culture feature; nothing more, nothing less. I naively thought you and others might want to know that it has been there for a while. I value contemporary camino history, even if I am in a minority, and sometimes struggle to find like minds.

You invited comment which I gave, on the poem itself. I am secure in what I said. I have more to say on it, if you wish.

Comparisons, as they say, are odious, but may I direct you to the poem of Antonio Machado which begins-

Caminante, no hay camino.......
Traveller, there is no way ahead...

In a forum that has english as its language, once in a while, there will be some misunderstandings.... since most of us are writing in a language that are not our own...

I think this thread is an example of this.... :)

...loved the poem by the way!

Buen Camino!
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
- Caminando, you gave good information about the poem, and if you know more I'd appreciate it if you would share it with us :)

- Ivar, it's true, misunderstandings will happen once in a while, even with those who speak the same language ... :)

Did I miss something ....? TS

I walked the Camino (from Taize) in 1988 and this poem was already several years old at that point. Some of my Spanish companions said they had seen it on earlier journeys. I do not know its origins, but memorized the poem as a way to help me learn Spanish. My Spanish-speaking son tells me that it sounds decidedly "medieval" (not modern Spanish at all) but I would not know if this is the case. Perhaps someone more familiar with Spanish linguistics could comment on whether the poem does indeed use "old language"? That might give some indication as to its age.
- Jan Erik Ness

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walking into Najera this year with a friend we stopped to help an elderly priest, with bad arthritis in his hands, shut his allotment gate.
He spoke no English & we, no spanish, so communication was difficult but to say thank you he got two photo copies of "Peregrinos a Santiago" out of his boot, dedicated them to us & signed them. He then kept pointing to the photo copies & then himself. My friend thought he meant that he had written it.
The dedication is signed E G B & I have since found out that Eugenio Garibay Banos is a pastor of Najera & the photo posted on this site looks like the man at the lovely allotment full of flowers & vegetables.
I would like to confirm this though so if anyone knows...
I've done different routes of the camino the last two years so may not get back for a couple of years myself.

I have recorded an English version of this poem for my album, "Journey of the Soul, songs inspired by the Camino de Santiago." Does anyone know how to contact Fr Eugenio Garibay Baños? I would like to discuss the poem with him before I go into production on this project.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the address, I will try it. My understanding is that he doesn't speak English, Do you know if he has access to an interpreter? Or would it be better for me to write to him in my humble but shaky Spanish?

Thank you for the address, I will try it. My understanding is that he doesn't speak English, Do you know if he has access to an interpreter? Or would it be better for me to write to him in my humble but shaky Spanish?
I have never met the Father. You might write your request in English, translate it using an on-line program and send both notes to him.

Good luck with your research.

MM

Thank you MM,
Great suggestions.

Jim Aceves

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi V

I have absolutely no issue at all about your English which is excellent - better than many native speakers - and even if it were not I am honoured that you use it at any level. In fact, your use of English is so good, that the meaning of your caustic post is crystal clear.

My info is also clear - that the poem has been there a long time, which does not mean anything more than it's a long term camino culture feature; nothing more, nothing less. I naively thought you and others might want to know that it has been there for a while. I value contemporary camino history, even if I am in a minority, and sometimes struggle to find like minds.

You invited comment which I gave, on the poem itself. I am secure in what I said. I have more to say on it, if you wish.

Comparisons, as they say, are odious, but may I direct you to the poem of Antonio Machado which begins-

Caminante, no hay camino.......
Traveller, there is no way ahead...

What a Tesoro. To find a poet like Machado.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back