A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

A possibly unwise idea...

Bridget and Peter

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
This idea came upon me, probably the result of a manic mood swing due to work stress and the exciting feeling of being about to get away from it all for a while -

I have asked for and received sponsorship to shear off my hair (with clippers!) before we leave for our cycling camino on 19 Sept. I thought that raising money for WaterAid was appropriate as the availability of drinking water, toilets and showers becomes more significant for pilgrims on the road! At least I won't need shampoo if my head is shaved!

See http://www.wateraid.org/uk/what_we_do/t ... efault.asp

So, having been given a positive response by my fellow church members, and work colleagues, I have now made a JustGiving page and if any of you would like to make a donation to WaterAid my page is at http://www.justgiving.com/buchaneers7

My children think I'm mad, but I am looking forward to the wind on my scalp as we speed down hills!

Thanks,

Bridget

PS Photos will be posted on our blog, justgiving and Facebook!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Good for you!!
Every year there is a 'shave-a-thon' at all our shopping malls in aid of cancer. I haven't had the courage to be scalped but I have had a no. 1 asnd gone pink!

Bridget and Peter

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Pink - now there's a thought???

Pacharan

I once allowed 2 work colleagues to shave my hair into a mohican and colour it blue...the dye washed out straight away but I had to keep the mohican 1 week and then they shaved it all level for me.
I raised £880 for my football club so it was well worth the effort. Also took some explaining at meetings with clients and their lawyers.... :shock:
Handy hint for raising max cash: No donation, no watching the cut being administered....

Bridget and Peter

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Pacharan said:
Handy hint for raising max cash: No donation, no watching the cut being administered....
Good point! Some colleagues in another team are already trying to raise the donations because I have said that as the money increases the clippers will get closer to the scalp! I was already thinking that such enthusiasm deserved being in on the action!

Daughter no 3 has asked daughter no 4 to search out pink hair dye - if I do this before the cut that might attract more interest.

I work in Children's services - I may have to tie a scarf around it all if something terribly serious requires my presence between now and departure - but no longer do the sort of work which takes me into court, thanks goodness!

And it is already arousing some interest in the issues of clean water and sanitation, so I'm not feeling so unwise any more!

Pacharan

All I can say is GO GIRL!!!!
You won't regret it. I think the colleague who wielded the clippers was more nervous than me!
I did buy some scarves but in the end just brazened it out in meetings. Luckily all were with people I knew fairly well so I simply announced at the start that I wasn't sick (you will get some looks of alarm with a freshly-scalped bonce), just raising money, and pointed them at the appropriate webpage for more details/pictures etc.
Best of luck!!!
PS If you have it all shaved right down you can't easily dye it - that is why the evil colleagues wanted a mohican - they got to shave my hair AND dye it a stupid colour.
PPS It grows back pretty quick :)

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The Cancer Association used Pink Hair Spray from an aerosol can. It did wash out but left a residue of faint pink so that I looked like one of the seniors who dye tint their hair blue or pink!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
No ... you reeeeely don't! Not a pretty sight!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Last year I just had a pink stripe for breast cancer. Next year I'll go pink again!

Attachments

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 222 24.7%