• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A precious auberge- new 2 km after Mondoñedo, Galicia

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I wanted to post this immediately upon finding it but am just now unpacking my stuff.
I found a kindred spirit at this new auberge, run donativo 2 km after Mondonedo.
Unfortunately it was not time for me to stop, far from it but I almost justified doing it for the experience any way, I loved this place so much.

I think her location might be a slight downfall but it is small and intimate and I doubt she will have any trouble filling it in busy seasons.

The name of the Auberge is: O Bisonte de Maariz
The owner is Carmen
She does breakfast, dinner and offers tea and coffee to pilgrims passing by.
She lets you reserve
Her flier says "for arts, nature, culture and peace lovers". She has her painting through out the auberge and I never buy souvenirs but did buy a T-shift with her image of the cathedral on it.
The auberge is filled with wood beams and precious, the view from the window upstairs is second to none overlooking the woods.

She said calling her is better than email but here is her contact
t= 34 626766235
email= bisontemaariz@gmail.com
www.bisontemaariz.blogspot.com.es

I felt such a wonderful feel standing in this auberge and funny story when I got into Santiago and ran into one of my favorite Camino friends he told me he had about a week off and was going to go to a place and help someone there...I didn't realize the connection for hours BUT he too had passed this place and felt such a bond he was going to go back for a few days and help Carmen with the garden etc...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wanted to post this immediately upon finding it but am just now unpacking my stuff.
I found a kindred spirit at this new auberge, run donativo 2 km after Mondonedo.
Unfortunately it was not time for me to stop, far from it but I almost justified doing it for the experience any way, I loved this place so much.

I think her location might be a slight downfall but it is small and intimate and I doubt she will have any trouble filling it in busy seasons.

The name of the Auberge is: O Bisonte de Maariz
The owner is Carmen
She does breakfast, dinner and offers tea and coffee to pilgrims passing by.
She lets you reserve
Her flier says "for arts, nature, culture and peace lovers". She has her painting through out the auberge and I never buy souvenirs but did buy a T-shift with her image of the cathedral on it.
The auberge is filled with wood beams and precious, the view from the window upstairs is second to none overlooking the woods.

She said calling her is better than email but here is her contact
t= 34 626766235
email= bisontemaariz@gmail.com
www.bisontemaariz.blogspot.com.es

I felt such a wonderful feel standing in this auberge and funny story when I got into Santiago and ran into one of my favorite Camino friends he told me he had about a week off and was going to go to a place and help someone there...I didn't realize the connection for hours BUT he too had passed this place and felt such a bond he was going to go back for a few days and help Carmen with the garden etc...
Where is this one? What town is it closest to?

It's a little south of Mondoñedo at the following coordinates: 43.412849, -7.366303.

Here's their Facebook page:

Cheers,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tell her Neve sent you!!!! I met her the first time when alone, the second when I had five of my children with me...she is wonderful!

Tell her Neve sent you!!!! I met her the first time when alone, the second when I had five of my children with me...she is wonderful!
Neve, do you have any idea why this place would not be listed in Gronze? I assume that is her decision. Maybe this is a place kind of like Rebekah’s Peaceable.

But anyway, I just wanted to point out that the newly marked off-road Camino route through the eucalyptus forest will not take you past this place, you have to take the older road route.

That shouldn’t be a problem, because though I spent about 25 minutes looking for the new route through the eucalyptus (it’s 3 km shorter and not on asphalt), I was unable to find it and wound up back on the side of the road. It’s a very untraveled road, pretty enough, but it is asphalt, and I try to avoid that whenever possible.

I don't know. I didn't even know there was a new route. While my mind and dreams are all things Camino, I've had little time of late to catch up on Camino news... I still have not shared our Pyrenees adventure and think I haven't been on here since...

I do know she is donation base, and I also know there is a bond between these donation based places where they keep up with each other etc... ( per Alex on Primitivo, we spoke of the connections as if talking about family throughout the country). Maybe Rebekah has some news. I assume she is still there. She is lovely! If no one else chimes in I can research it some. Somewhere I have her contact info...
When I went through with the kids she actually went to her notebook and pulled up where I had written a note years before which was a suprise...

Hoping to catch up on Camino news!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know. I didn't even know there was a new route. While my mind and dreams are all things Camino, I've had little time of late to catch up on Camino news... I still have not shared our Pyrenees adventure and think I haven't been on here since...

I do know she is donation base, and I also know there is a bond between these donation based places where they keep up with each other etc... ( per Alex on Primitivo, we spoke of the connections as if talking about family throughout the country). Maybe Rebekah has some news. I assume she is still there. She is lovely! If no one else chimes in I can research it some. Somewhere I have her contact info...
When I went through with the kids she actually went to her notebook and pulled up where I had written a note years before which was a suprise...

Hoping to catch up on Camino news!
Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply she wasn’t there, because I saw the place and others have posted to their facebook page. I was just curious why she wouldn’t be listed on gronze, which I usually find to be the most up to date an accurate listing.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.