• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Protestant pilgrimage to Rome

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
In Martin Luther's footsteps: A pilgrimage to Rome

Rome - Winter was about to arrive when the Augustinian monk Martin Luther and his fellow monks began their journey one November day 500 years ago. A 1,800-kilometre-long trek on foot awaited them. Their destination: Rome, the Holy City.
Now, the half-millennium anniversary of that event has inspired a number of modern-day trekkers to follow in Luther's footsteps in the pilgrimage trail leading from Germany, proceeding over the Alps and ending in the centre of Christianity. In contrast to the well-known St James Trail leading to the Spanish city of Santiago de Compostela, this hiking route going over the Alps poses a major adventure. The large stream of pilgrims to the Eternal City such as seen in the Middle Ages has long since disappeared, and the road with its network of hostels and inns has become nearly forgotten.
But lately, new life has blossomed along the "Via Francigena" - the Franconian Trail - leading from northern Europe to the papal seat on the Tiber River.
Italy and the European Union are now promoting the route as being a "European cultural road." A promotional society in the central Italian city of Fidenza provides maps and is posting trail-markers along the route. According to the society, each year some 3,000 pilgrims cover all, or at least part of the trail. Those who this autumn have taken off from the German cities of Wittenberg or Erfurt will need 10 to 12 weeks to reach Rome. In contrast to the situation 500 years ago, today people are not walking along some idyllic lanes. Particularly in Italy, longer stretches of the trail are located right next to roads with a lot of heavy traffic. In some cases, the only way to seek safety from lorries rushing past is by jumping over a ditch.
The Via Francigena promotional society is trying to find some parallel routes which are quieter, but so far with only modest success. But still, now and then there are pretty landscapes which reward the pilgrim for all the strenuous effort and car exhaust. Among others, there are the cherry tree-lined lanes along the Unstrut River in south-eastern Germany, the huge chestnut tree forests in the Bergelltal Valley in Switzerland and the hazelnut forests north of Rome.
It's an inspirational feeling, after a strenuous climb to finally reach the Septimer Pass at 2,300 metres altitude in the Swiss Alps. The proud hiker does not yet realize that the Apennine mountains outside Bologna will be similarly difficult to conquer. The period of the man who would later shake the Church with his Protestant reform movement is recalled in many places along the way, such as in pilgrims' hostels, church communities, or now nearly-empty monasteries.
In the Capuchin order monastery in Fidenza the hiker is provided a room which in its size and furnishing comes close to resembling a cell in a cloister. There is no charge, although of course a voluntary donation is welcome. On departure, the monastery stamps the pilgrim's pass document.
During the final two weeks of the pilgrimage one finds the final destination is pulling more and more strongly. "Rome" is now written on the trail-markers and the hiker can now readily grasp the distance still to be covered.
He proceeds along the Via Flaminia, then crosses the ancient Ponte Milvio bridge over the Tiber River and strides the final kilometres of the straight-line old Roman road leading to the Porta del Popolo, a gate in the city wall dating back to the time of Marcus Aurelius.
Over the previous weeks, one had often fantasized about what arriving at the final destination would be like. But the reality is rather unspectacular. One stands, somewhat lost, amid crowds of other tourists visiting the piazza with its fountains and obelisks.
Right behind the gate the Augustinian church Santa Maria del Popolo rises up. With so many travel groups, there is no prospect for some kind of ceremony or service marking the successful completion of the pilgrimage. A priest, asked to stamp the pilgrim's pass, murmurs a few words of recognition. But of course, the reception in the Evangelical-Lutheran congregation of Rome is all the more heartfelt.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news ... -rome.html

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back