• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A query about Catholic doctrine and pilgrimage

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
This is a question specifically aimed at Catholics who may have some knowledge of eligibility for the plenary indulgence conditions, and/or church contacts in Santiago. (JW?)
I hope this does not reignite a discussion which was thoroughly explored in a 2007 thread. I have no wish to enter into, or invite others to discuss the validity or doctrinal basis for indulgences in general.
I am trying to determine if it might be valid in the eyes of the church to obtain a plenary indulgence on behalf of a deceased relative if the general conditions are satisfied outside a holy year, but for a pilgrimage concluding with the celebration of the sacraments on the feast of St. James, specifically July 23rd 2017.
Perhaps someone can put me in touch with a member of the cathedral administration in Santiago, who may be able to give me a definitive answer?
As I have mentioned elsewhere, my brother died while I was on camino last year, resulting in me abandoning that journey. I am considering the possibility making a pilgrimage next year from his house in Portugal to Santiago. I realise that I may have the opportunity to make a gift of this to my sister-in-law, and know that it would have a deep and unique spiritual meaning for her. On a previous camino, she asked me to take a letter and mass offering for him to the monks of the abbey at Oseira, as he was already in poor health. (Our family has a close Cistercian connection dating back to our youth in England).
Specific help would be appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
La Indulgencia Plenaria, también conocida como el Jubileo.

La doctrina y la práctica de las indulgencias en la Iglesia están estrechamente relacionadas con los efectos del sacramento de la Penitencia (ClgC. Nº 1.471). La Indulgencia es la total remisión ante Dios de la pena temporal debida por los pecados, ya perdonados, concedida por la Iglesia. Puede alcanzarse una vez al día y puede aplicarse por uno mismo o por los fieles difuntos.

Para conseguir las Indulgencias del Jubileo, se debe:
  • Visitar la Catedral de Santiago, donde se guardan, custodian y veneran los restos del Apóstol Santiago el Mayor, participando en la Eucaristía o en cualquier otro acto litúrgico, teniendo un momento de oración por las intenciones del Romano Pontífice (Padrenuestro o Credo).
  • Confesión Sacramental. Una misma confesión sirve para alcanzar varias indulgencias. Puede hacerse 15 días antes o después de la visita a la Catedral de Santiago.
  • Comunión Eucarística, para cada una de las indulgencias.

The Plenary Indulgence (also known as “The Jubilee”)

The doctrine and practice of indulgences in the Church are closely linked to the Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession). An indulgence is the full remission of all temporal punishment (time spent in purgatory) up to that point in a person’s life. Individuals can gain Plenary Indulgences for themselves and also for the deceased.

In order to gain the Jubilee Indulgence individuals must:
  • Visit the Cathedral of Santiago where lies the Tomb of St. James the Great.
  • Say a prayer: at least the Apostle’s Creed, the Our Father and a prayer for the intentions of the Pope. It is also recommended that the individual attend Mass.
  • Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation (go to confession) and Eucharist (go to communion) within the 15 days before or after the visit to the Cathedral.
  • Indulgences can be gained at other times in the year through the performance of other acts of devotion. These are outlined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is a question specifically aimed at Catholics who may have some knowledge of eligibility for the plenary indulgence conditions, and/or church contacts in Santiago. (JW?)
I hope this does not reignite a discussion which was thoroughly explored in a 2007 thread. I have no wish to enter into, or invite others to discuss the validity or doctrinal basis for indulgences in general.
I am trying to determine if it might be valid in the eyes of the church to obtain a plenary indulgence on behalf of a deceased relative if the general conditions are satisfied outside a holy year, but for a pilgrimage concluding with the celebration of the sacraments on the feast of St. James, specifically July 23rd 2017.
Perhaps someone can put me in touch with a member of the cathedral administration in Santiago, who may be able to give me a definitive answer?
As I have mentioned elsewhere, my brother died while I was on camino last year, resulting in me abandoning that journey. I am considering the possibility making a pilgrimage next year from his house in Portugal to Santiago. I realise that I may have the opportunity to make a gift of this to my sister-in-law, and know that it would have a deep and unique spiritual meaning for her. On a previous camino, she asked me to take a letter and mass offering for him to the monks of the abbey at Oseira, as he was already in poor health. (Our family has a close Cistercian connection dating back to our youth in England).
Specific help would be appreciated.

Aside from the jubilee year indulgences discussed in this thread and so on, there is an indulgence for completing the pilgrimage. I remember mildly astonishing my pastor in confession when I said, "I went to Santiago and I couldn't face the Spanish confessionals, so I'm here to complete the indulgence." He was fine. I did my thing, he did his thing, all was cool. And AFAIK you can always offer the benefit of any prayers you make for another person, living or dead. This is separate from the bennies you can get for the deceased that you love by going to the cemetary on All Souls' Day and praying for them there. (For Mexican readers, All Souls' Day is also known as the Dia de los Muertos.)
BTW my inability to face the Spanish confessionals was because the penitent is out there in view of the world talking to the priest, and who knows how loudly you have to speak to be heard, and I was raised with the privacy of a screened kneeler in a tiny closed off room.
And can we donate marker pens to the priests in Santiago so they can write their little 8x11 typing paper signs of language competences in something easier to read on the fly than BIC pens? Just saying. It's awkward to be trying to read the tiny writing on the paper when the priest is doing his thing and a penitent is doing his/her thing and to also keep walking. Just awkward.

erm July 25th -- otherwise :

Yes, and also on some other specific dates (cribbed from the 2007 thread) -- Easter Sunday; 21st April (the anniversary of the consecration of the cathedral); and on St James's three feast days (23 May - the Apparition; 25 July - his martyrdom; and 30 December - the translation of the relics)

Yes, you certainly can pray for this indulgence to be for a deceased relative.

erm July 25th -- otherwise :
Yes, JabbaPapa, I did mean the 25th; a slip up there.
And thanks for the suggestion that set me on this train of thought in the first place. I told you in a recent post that you had sown a seed. It's all swimming around in my brain.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back