• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A question about last 100km

Chica36

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo
Does anyone know anything about this history of how the last 100k became the minimum distance allowed in order to qualify for the Compostela?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Story goes it was an attempt to jumpstart the interest for the Camino in the late fifties (!?)
Attempts are beeing made constantly to extend the distance to widen the field of the masses ...

Story goes it was an attempt to jumpstart the interest for the Camino in the late fifties (!?)
Attempts are beeing made constantly to extend the distance to widen the field of the masses ...

Much later than that. Linked to the 1993 Holy Year which was the first to be systematically promoted by the Xunta in Galicia. There was no 100km rule for my first Camino in 1990. A thread from two years ago about a proposal to raise the minimum distance from 100km to 300km includes an introduction on the history of the Compostela. Personally I would prefer to see the minimum distance abolished because I think it shifts the emphasis in the pilgrimage away from its spiritual significance and focuses too much on the purely physical aspects of the journey.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...m-why-change-the-100-km-rule-to-300-km.39220/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What @Bradypus said. As far as I remember (from reading about it, not first hand experience), too many people walked only from Monte Gozo, so it was extended to 100 km. I, too, would be in favour of abolishing a minimum distance altogether but I'm not holding my breath. I fail to be convinced by the virtues of a minimum distance of 300 km.

I fail to be convinced by the virtues of a minimum distance of 300 km.
Any set minimum distance would be arbitrary and divisive. Already there is the ludicrous situation that a Galician cannot simply receive a Compostela for the sensible and obvious option of walking from his or her front door to the Cathedral - instead they must now walk at least 100km on a recognised Camino route. In effect they may now have to travel away from Santiago simply in order to begin their journey if they wish to have it recognised as a pilgrimage by the cathedral. And how far do you have to walk to be considered a real pilgrim in this regard? Perhaps the cathedral should award different grades of Compostela according to distance walked? Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum perhaps? Or would that just be pandering to the vanity and self-importance of those who think that the significance and worth of an individual's pilgrimage can be measured by the km? I find it interesting that the pilgrim office's own website quotes only the first paragraph of the current Compostela - that part which mentions visiting the shrine of the apostle in pietatis causa - and neither reproduces or translates the more recent addition which adds the minimum distance requirement on foot or by bike. Perhaps they also recognise that the first and second paragraphs of the current Compostela sit very uneasily together?

Last edited:
This is a difficult issue. The essence of the Camino is a journey. A journey in which to appreciate and contemplate, sometimes spiritual sometimes not. What is proper length of such a journey? Second, we know that many towns along The Way derive much from their location and have done much to support pilgrims. What is owed those towns? And there is the staff at Santiago. If the journey were shortened, say to 20Km, the staff would be clearly overwhelmed. Perhaps, a compromise of sorts? Germany has the tradition of volksmarches of 10-20km where after you walk you get a nice plate or medal(you do pay an entry fee). Perhaps a few times a year, the Church could have a Camino Volksmarch and provide such a reward for the hike. Just a thought, interesting topic.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A question, ? what is the significance of collecting a Compostela in Santiago, especially if you are walking for religious or spiritual reasons. I have always collected mine, but they are all still in the tube I put them in, in Santiago

A question, ? what is the significance of collecting a Compostela in Santiago, especially if you are walking for religious or spiritual reasons. I have always collected mine, but they are all still in the tube I put them in, in Santiago
After my last arrival in Santiago I decided that I no longer wish to receive a Compostela on completion of a pilgrimage. The pilgrim office now focus almost exclusively on determining compliance with recent petty rules regarding specific distances and routes walked rather than considering the religious or spiritual aspects of a person's pilgrimage as described in the text of the Compostela itself. If the pilgrim office - an agency of the cathedral - do not consider the content of the document to be of real importance these days then for me it has lost its meaning and has become simply a sporting prize and a souvenir I can easily live without.

Personally I could care less who gets their compostelas and why they want it. In my mind a pilgrimage is alot more than a Compostela but for some reason it represents something to me. It reminds me of where I have been and how much further I have to go. It also represents to me the personal pain and sacrifice I had to endure as well as the happiness, joy and moments of total bliss that I also experience. It will all be part of me for the rest of my life. It takes me 2 or 300 kilometers of walking just to get warmed up. In my own personal camino a minimum distance to walk has to be between 5-600K. But that is my journey not anyone else's. I will let you in on another judgmental secret of mine, hahah, I think walking from Sarria and getting a Compostela cheapens what it represents to me. But I am sure not losing sleep over it and I sure wouldn't tell anyone that to their face. I have met some pretty cool people who are taking that stroll from Sarria or wherever that was when I did the CP that people start at also. So I guess it is all good!!!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.