• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A question about walking the camino in September

Novos

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hello,

I'm kind of new here, so hello first of all :) .
I plan to go onto the camino during the 1st of September, or maybe a few days earlier.
Been wondering about traffic of people going on there, do i need to pre-book places for albergues during this time, or should i just go and look for places while i'm there?

Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great time to go. It is not as crowded as in June-August. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Based on what I'm seeing now, I would not come to the Camino without booking the first 5 days through Puente La Reina.

Welcome, Novos!
Sometimes it helps to book your first night for Day 0 so that you can start early on Day 1 of the Camino like everyone else. For example, if you were starting from St. Jean, on Day 0 you would travel there, stay in a place you'd already pre-booked, and then the next morning you could start walking.
Buen Camino and enjoy all the planning!
Faith

The thing is that i dont think i'll manage to do the first days by the book.
I thought of splitting the first day.
I definitely have to get used to the pace slowly, since i'm dealing with back issues and i have to wear insoles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have walked the Camino in September once in 2009 and found that too much crowded for my taste, and that was not a holy year as it is 2016.

I know this is personal but well... With the current popularity of the Camino (Frances, at least), from early april to late october is a "no no no", at least for me....I wouldnt walk it again during these months at all :eek::oops::confused:

But, everyone is different... Some people like the crowds, the queues, etc And some people hate the cold, the snow and the loneliness... It all depends on what you like...

The thing is that i dont think i'll manage to do the first days by the book.
I thought of splitting the first day.
I definitely have to get used to the pace slowly, since i'm dealing with back issues and i have to wear insoles.
Which "book" is that then?

I started walking in early September 2015 and found it very pleasant. I would caution for the first few days to reserve ahead up to Roncesvalles. I arrived in Roncesvalles on a Sunday and the overflow's overflow was at capacity, luckily I had a reservation :).
My advice is to watch the crowds, weekends tended to be tighter with places then mid-week and the bottleneck places tended to fill quicker. If you are planning on ending a day there, then I say reserve - Just don't miss the opportunity to just walk and let the Camino decide where your day ends :).

Kevin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did my first Camino in Sept last year and the only day I booked was my first night in Orisson.

You'll be fine without booking into an albergue ahead of time on the Frances as there are plenty of places to stay.

Only thing I would warn you about is the amount of people there are. I found I was walking alone for the first four days, but after Pamplona, there were plenty of people to talk to. If you're expecting solitude, then take a different path. If you want to meet people, then the Frances is for you.

Hi,
Everyone does their own Camino, their own way - there is no right or wrong way, so these are simply my own thoughts...
We did the whole Camino Frances from SJPdP in September in 2014 and 2015 and I will go alone this year and Ce next year (2017) in April - becoming Camino tragics!
September was a good time as we were coming off the back of the busy period and Pilgrims were less in numbers. By the end of September some Albergues were starting to close for the off season.
I don't like to book ahead for Albergues (many won't let you - except for Orisson - if you stay there, booking is a must) as I don't like to be on a timetable and under restrictions as I listen to my poor old body and try to walk the whole way carrying my pack.
The uncertainty of getting a nightly bed adds to the experience for me as it forces me out of my normal comfort zone and provides many wonderful experiences.
I do worry about walking on if there is no room so I am comfortable most days walking about 20 Kms. This allows me to book in at an Albergue just as many open, soon after midday.
Finally, many pilgrims seem to use the Brierly Guide and if you don't struggle to reach the top of each page, the Albergues seem less full.
Also I think more people start off at a weekend so waves might be going through and it helps not to be on the crest.
This forum has a great resource that shows pilgrim nos by days by towns.
@Novos
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank for the info.

Does it mean i should worry about October- albergues will already be closed?
I plan to do it on 1st of September or couple of days earlier, which means hopefully i'll finish it by the end of October.

Thank for the info.

I plan to do it on 1st of September or couple of days earlier, which means hopefully i'll finish it by the end of October.

You will be fine through the end of October - some close at the beginning of November, but not all. I walked twice for the month of October and there was no problem finding albergues either year.

Thank for the info.

Very few Albergues might be closed as that is still in the walking season.
Don't worry and surrender to the experience. The Camino will provide and if not and you are lucky enough to have a plastic fantastic card or the cash you can get a night in a hostel or hotel.
Don't think you will have any problem
Buen Camino and possibly see you there - I'll be 2weeks behind you:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This allows me to book in at an Albergue just as many open, soon after midday.
The learning curve.

If you step on an icy rock and fall, you learn to not step on an icy rock.

Walk until dusk and find full albergues, you learn to stop earlier. The Camino provides, and sometimes it provides beds only before 3 p.m.!! There is a lot of hubris in "walking your own camino" and expecting it to conform to your expectations. :)

I walked 19 days of my last Camino during the month of September. Other than the last 100 km or so, I never found it to be that crowded. Of course the last 100 km or so is going to be crowded no matter when you walk it (April-October) and I suppose that will never change and just something you adjust to and accept. It's all good.
One thing you may do to avoid some of the crowd on the last 100 km is to time your arrival in Santiago during the week and not on a Friday or Saturday. From what I saw it looks like most of the 100 km Camino set tries to arrive on the weekend for obvious reasons.
ultreia

The peak season is quietly gobbling down the "quiet months" every year. I walked in late September, finishing in October, and the situation was complicated in some popular places (in Leon I had to go to an albergue in the suburbs, the Santo Tomás de Canterbury, which actually was quite pleasant) and difficult after Sarriá. We walked there in a conga line, a pilgrim every 20 m or so -I wonder how it would be the situation in July or August. In Portomarín you could have seen everywhere nervous pilgrims looking for albergues, because the more known ones were full (but, in the end, everybody was settled).
Although I generally prefer to decide on the stop when and where to finish my walking day, I frankly consider that after Sarriá, reserving the day before (it is enough, in my experience) is wise.
Maybe late October or the winter months are quieter, but on the other side, many albergues close.
I believe that offer is adjusting slowly to demand; some private albergue owners were considering to extend their activities later in the year, and many hostals and even hotels are becoming albergues of sort, because pilgrims are good business (yes, we are...)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

I'm kind of new here, so hello first of all :) .
I plan to go onto the camino during the 1st of September, or maybe a few days earlier.
Been wondering about traffic of people going on there, do i need to pre-book places for albergues during this time, or should i just go and look for places while i'm there?

Thanks.
Hi Novos, I am leaving St Jean on 31 August and have only booked St Jean and Orrison. From there I'll just see how I go. Fingers crossed for minimal crowds!!
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.