• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A question for past pilgrims about safety

inspiredjen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (4-2013)
Reverse Camino Frances (5-2016)
Attempted Camino (8-2019)
Hi, peregrinos!

When I walked last year, I met the nicest people from all over the world and never had problems. But I heard of one man getting shoved (due to snoring) while he was asleep - which turned ugly.

There's so much trust and community on the Camino, so it seems like it would be the exception. Yet there must be issues at some point with so many people together from so many places.

Did you ever experience or hear of people being un-pilgrim-like? I'm curious about how this was "policed" and how local authorities handle pilgrim-related violence or illegal behavior.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I was on the Camino last year someone shoved me when I was snoring. I don't recall things getting ugly. However he didn't do it again. By the way I was not the loudest snor-er in that room. My advice is donot ever wake a sleeping person unless you really have a good reason, especially those who walk 30 k a day " a fool.and his body are soon parted"-jstory

Hmm, nothing to do with snoring, but still. When i stayed in the English albergue in Rabanal there was a fridge in the kitchen. On that fridge was a note: pilgrim fridge. The way i saw it, this was the fridge us pilgrims could use for our stuff. The way another pilgrim saw this was that this was the fridge he could eat from.
So when i did my shopping in the few small stores around (breakfast, lunch) and put it in the fridge, he just took it out and started eating and drinking the stuff i and other pilgrims bought.
When i asked him what he thought he was doing, he replied, you put it in the fridge, then i eat it. The note says, pilgrim fridge. I have no money, so This is the only way i can travel.
Now, i am willing to share anything with anyone, but this response got my blood boiling. I stayed cool, just simple took back the stuff that was mine before he could eat it, and told him to not touch it again. I asked him if he really thought i just went to the store just for him. He didn't reply. Don't think he got it. He did not touch my stuff again, but the whole day he kept looking at me funny. He really did not like me anymore hahaha.
This sort of freeloading i can't stand.

Other then that, never had any problems with any pilgrims. Nor have i seen others having problems with other pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Jen,
Pilgrims are people too--usually lovely people, but there's no guarantee. People have bad days and some are simply badly behaved (as you will see if you read Rebekah's latest blog 'Moratinos Life'). I have never seen any reportable offences, but there is no reason why pilgrim-people should be exempt from the law or a caution from the local police, when required. The larger the crowds walking, the more likely it is that there will be incidents of disagreements and, unfortunately, pilfering. All we can do, I guess, is to be on our best behaviour, as we hope others will be.
In the months I've been reading this forum regularly, I have been constantly impressed by the supportive nature of the contributions, with very very few exceptions. Maybe the odd message in a 'carping' manner is allowable, just to show that we are human too--taking differing points of view, sometimes mildly, sometimes categorically! The Camino is not an exception, but as you have found yourself, it's one of the best places in the world to spend time!

I have done the camino twice now. And only once I had an argument with an Italian pilgrim that was bothering a female pilgrim. After asking her what was going on she told me he was following her for two days trying to get with her even when she told him that she was married, so I had a talk with the guy about it but apparently she was not the only one that he was bothering.... To make the story short he got kick out of the albergue by the owner because of disrespecting women

I asked him if he really thought i just went to the store just for him. He didn't reply. Don't think he got it. He did not touch my stuff again, but the whole day he kept looking at me funny. He really did not like me anymore hahaha.
This sort of freeloading i can't stand.
May I congratulate you on your approach.
Someone who steals from his fellow pilgrims would have received a more physical remonstration from me.
Regds
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I must admit i lost it with a couple of pilgrims who were rude to me,i gave them such an ear bashing they just stood mouths open,i'll get on with anyone but rude people,oh and next day they approached me on the road and apoligised,as did i for the use of language,we all hugged laughed n moved on.

Snoring cannot be controlled, but excess drinking can, which was the cause of the situation I saw --- a very drunk pilgrim shaking the bed and yelling at the top of his lungs at another pilgrim who was snoring heavily enough that it was being picked up on seismic sensors off the coast of Japan (had also imbibed far more than he should have, and his snoring was far worse than the several other nights we shared an albergue). The snorer wasn't waking up, and the screaming wasn't stopping, until a saint of a hospitalero gently guided the screamer to a "quiet room" where he wouldn't have to listen to the snoring. The entire situation was tragically comic, and the talk of the trail the next morning.

Dive-bombing mountain bikers seemed to be the other catalyst of rage (progressively expressed through passive resistive behaviors of moving out of the way very slowly as they approached).

We may all be pilgrims, but few of us escape our human condition for any significant length of time.

The city that is the Camino Frances, a long, thin city but still a city, is probably the safest city on Earth. Can you imagine anywhere else on this poor planet where the worst thing that can happen is someone uses too much vigour when remonstrating with a snorer, or appropriates out of hunger food meant for the hunger of another. ( I hope it was out of hunger and not greed)

I am minded also of flashers, petty thieves, sad-sacks and blaggers. They are found in every town and village but are very thin on the ground on the Camino. Sad things, and bad things happen but very few when weighed against that mass of humanity making its way to Santiago. I walk the Caminos with the same, possibly less, caution that I walk the streets of my home town and I will intervene inappropriate behaviour when I see it. There are no Pilgrim Police or rather we are the constables of our peace. My saddest day was the day I confronted a pack rummager and everyone else in the room kept their backs firmly turned as they went about their business. My gladdest seeing a young cyclist give up his bottom bunk to an older walker and make his way to a mattress on the floor.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Somewhat paradoxically, I think that as the Camino Frances has become more popular, crime (petty theft) and deviant behavior (flashing) have increased. I have been walking some very solitary caminos over the last few years (Madrid, Invierno, Levante, Vadiniense, Salvador) and have often been the only one in the albergue. But I've never felt anxious or threatened.

As others have said, the Camino Frances is still one of the safest places on the planet and I wouldn't hesitate to return, but for those who don't mind the solitude, there are a lot of great caminos out there where you can leave your valuables on your bunk without worrying about them! Buen camino, Laurie

I had an unpleasant incident today whilst walking along the Vezeley Route near my home that has made me a tad angry.

I stopped at a public loo in a popular little village. It's on the river and popular with fishermen, walkers and picnicers and there is also a nice restaurant that's always busy, and a lovely church with frequent exhibitions. It's also a free Aire/overnight spot for camping cars... so there are always cars and people around.

The toilet is in the car park - there were three cubicles but all without locks - I choose the one farthst from the urinals and closed the door well behind me. To my horror as I was 'minding my own business' the door opened and an oldish chap stood there stressing how sorry he was but he didn't close the door. I shouted at him but still he stood there saying sorry... so I screamed and he closed the door.

In the car park I shouted at him, he was sat back in his car beside the toilet. I shouted that there were three doors, two open and one closed... why choose the closed one? He acted flustered and I told him how angry I was and walked on my way.

On the way home after my walk (my husband drove to collect me) I asked him to go via the car park... we pulled in beside the very same man, who was sat still watching the toilets... more than an hour later. As soon as he saw me he started his engine and drove away.

We have his car details and I am going to report this to the police tomorrow - there is a slide and a kiddies play area and I just feel that he perhaps makes a habit of hanging around toilets with no locks. But the odd thing is that this is a very busy spot... but then maybe that's why he stops there?

I'm looking forward to the world of the CF - I'm hoping it will be much nicer than the normal world!

I would agree with Laurie's observations-- I've never felt safer than on a trail in the backwoods of Spain, but large middle-aged bearded men live on a different pane of vulnerability. I have spoken with younger women pilgrims who have had to deal with excessive projected attachment from male pilgrims. One told me that an advantage of albergue life was that the numbers provided her with a strong sense of security. Flashers should always be reported immediately-- I had a Civic Guard tell me that, while Spanish law meant that they could not easily be charged, they were often able to identify them, strongly encourage them to get professional help, and follow up--- she said that they were very anxious to do so as the security of pilgrims was important to them. In France, their behaviour is chargeable, and the French police are assiduous in protecting hikers-- but they need to know.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had an unpleasant incident today whilst walking along the Vezeley Route
LesBrass, what a horrible thing to happen, especially as you've been waiting so long for the rain to stop so you could resume your training. Good on you for reporting the incident. I hope you feel better about things tomorrow. Fortunately you have your husband for support and your home to feel safe in. When things like this happen while you're on the Camino it takes an effort of will to put it behind you and move on, physically and mentally. Fortunately it's still very rare. Like that horrible man, the Camino flashers know their territory - secluded enough to hide themselves but always close to the road for a quick getaway. Sad men who get off on others' fear, I've found they can be seen off with a meaningfully-wielded baton (another reason why walking poles are great). Don't let that horrible man put you off your training!

Thank you MetroPolly - I wont let him get to me...honest! I've started off a few times on my walks, stepping off the road and on to the chemin in the forest and thought... here we go... but I keep telling myself that it's just a nice walk in the country.

I'm a real scardy-cat and I think the biggest thing I'm getting from my practice walks is courage! I maybe getting fitter but I'm also getting braver... I even laugh at barking dogs now (as long as they're behind a big fence ;) )

Last edited:
Barking dogs, flashers, drivers who swerve deliberately to brush as close as possible to pedestrians on country roads... all they want is for you to be scared, because you are as free as a bird and they are not. Likewise those occasional thoughtless fellow pilgrims, who seek to pass on their personal misery to all those around. I'm told in China they call it 'getting the monkey off your back'. Keep going, and the Camino will make you stronger!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would agree with Laurie's observations-- I've never felt safer than on a trail in the backwoods of Spain, but large middle-aged bearded men live on a different pane of vulnerability. I have spoken with younger women pilgrims who have had to deal with excessive projected attachment from male pilgrims. One told me that an advantage of albergue life was that the numbers provided her with a strong sense of security. Flashers should always be reported immediately-- I had a Civic Guard tell me that, while Spanish law meant that they could not easily be charged, they were often able to identify them, strongly encourage them to get professional help, and follow up--- she said that they were very anxious to do so as the security of pilgrims was important to them. In France, their behaviour is chargeable, and the French police are assiduous in protecting hikers-- but they need to know.

As a woman who walks alone, I would add that though I've been flashed five times on three Caminos on the Frances, I have never been flashed or had any inappropriate behavior directed towards me on ten other caminos. Not exactly a large "N" for the social scientists, but it does suggest that the bad stuff, such as it is, is concentrated on the Camino Frances.

As a woman who walks alone, I would add that though I've been flashed five times on three Caminos on the Frances, I have never been flashed or had any inappropriate behavior directed towards me on ten other caminos. Not exactly a large "N" for the social scientists, but it does suggest that the bad stuff, such as it is, is concentrated on the Camino Frances.
I was flashed on the Primitivo and in the Morvan between Vezelay and Le Puy - never on the Frances! It can happen anywhere but thankfully it's more of a nuisance than a danger. What maddens me is that for the rest of the day it makes me jump at shadows and feel sadly distrustful of strangers

I never felt scared, and there were only three times I felt vulnerable:

1. Walking alone through the farms outside Monjardin, I walked toward some men working in the field and was suddenly aware that I was out there all alone. "They could take my whole pack if they wanted," I thought to myself, "and leave me with nothing." They paid no attention to me.

2. Walking through the woods leaving Villafranca Montes de Orca, I only saw two other people all day. "Anyone could jump out of these trees if they wanted," I thought, never asking myself why anyone would want to climb up that mountain in the early morning rain only to hide in the trees in the hopes that some pilgrim might come by? My meager funds and dirty backpack are not as appealing as I would like to believe. I think the cloudy, rainy day enhanced the drama inside my head.

3. Walking past deserted buildings on the outskirts of Santo Domingo, I became aware that I was being "followed" by a young man on a cell phone. I increased my pace to catch up with some pilgrims ahead of me. I saw him later in town leading a tour of elderly people, still on his phone.

My mind seems to be more dangerous than reality! I tried to leave my fear at the Cruz de Ferro. The next time I walk the Camino I will find out if I actually did.
-Monica

No one asks for trouble. However I ,too, have had my share of 'unhappy' moments and from time to time felt the cold frisson of true fear. Luckily long ago I was taught by my father self-defence. Twice over the years I have been physically attacked; once when 35 while walking to work through Central Park when I knocked the guy down by swinging my briefcase into his groin and unfortunately more recently on the camino when at 71 I knocked a drunk off me while I was trying to take a siesta on a bottom bunk. Both incidents were duly reported to the relevant police; both those incidents left me shaken and wary but never stopped me continuing.

October 2007 I hiked 24 k against the wind to Sahagún. After a delicious lunch at Casa Barrunta in the village of San Nicolas the 'fun' began. From the highway which parallels the camino a taxi horn honked several times. One Spanish pilgrim rushed across the road. She explained that a young hoodlum wearing camouflage was walking the camino. For my safety she offered a ride. I said thanks but I would continue to walk.

Within 10 minutes footsteps crunched the gravel path. Bingo! It was a young guy wearing pink and grey camouflage! We looked at each other. I say "Hola!"; he grunts and passes. Arriving at the municipal albergue I try to explain the situation to the hospitalera. She gave me a key to lock myself in since the place is huge and I was the sole pilgrim. Time passed. While in the shower I hear heavy footsteps mounting the stairs. Covered in soap suds I dash for my poncho. Two big cops and two slim male cyclists appear! "Senora, we've brought you some protection" said the cops. We all laughed, shook hands and I clad only in the poncho brew tea for the five of us. After tea GREATLY relieved I finished my shower and climb into my bunk to blissfully sleep protected.

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The city that is the Camino Frances, a long, thin city but still a city, is probably the safest city on Earth. Can you imagine anywhere else on this poor planet where the worst thing that can happen is someone uses too much vigour when remonstrating with a snorer, or appropriates out of hunger food meant for the hunger of another. ( I hope it was out of hunger and not greed)

I am minded also of flashers, petty thieves, sad-sacks and blaggers. They are found in every town and village but are very thin on the ground on the Camino. Sad things, and bad things happen but very few when weighed against that mass of humanity making its way to Santiago. I walk the Caminos with the same, possibly less, caution that I walk the streets of my home town and I will intervene inappropriate behaviour when I see it. There are no Pilgrim Police or rather we are the constables of our peace. My saddest day was the day I confronted a pack rummager and everyone else in the room kept their backs firmly turned as they went about their business. My gladdest seeing a young cyclist give up his bottom bunk to an older walker and make his way to a mattress on the floor.
I Had never thought of the Camino as a city...but you are quite right....I walked in 2012 and am about to do all over again in August this year.....Had no issues on the first....snoring is part of the camino...and am hoping no issues on my next one

My saddest day was the day I confronted a pack rummager and everyone else in the room kept their backs firmly turned as they went about their business.

I have come to believe that we live in the land of the gutless wonder.

Regds
Gerard

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

"Blagger". Now there's a term I've never heard before.... Pray tell, what is a Blagger?

My experience is that the biggest threat on the Camino is falling over when walking while reading a map or cell phone, followed by accidents involving disputes between bikes and walkers, followed by serious danger from cars and trucks when crossing or walking along roads. And drinking too much good Rioja! Other dangers fall far far behind.

What we fear most is often disproportionate to the likelihood of it happening. Everyone who comes to Australia is terrified of sharks and snakes and yet some who live here go their whole lives without seeing either.

So, fellow females, please do not get concerned about what I say next. And, most importantly, there will be very, very few occasions on the Camino Frances when you will be alone, in spring, summer and autumn you are rarely out of sight of other pilgrims.

I just want to stress the importance of reporting crimes to the police. Please disregard this if you've read it on another thread.

.... In the interests of keeping us all safe, I have to dispel a myth.

The biggest longitudinal study of which I'm aware (Firestone, Kingston, Wexler, et al 2006) found over 30% of flashers also engage in contact or violent sexual offences. One study (Freund 1990) found that 15% had committed rape. A significant number of offenders reported flashing only when they perceived it as unsafe to do more.

It is not safe to assume a flasher is harmless. You have a 70 % chance he's a harmless grub but a 30 % chance he's a spider.

If a flasher is threatening a woman he is threatening. Try to take note of details that will identify him (height, age, build, clothing, glasses, hair) but don't hesitate too long. The police advice is to act as if you are being attacked - yell "flasher!", shout, blow a whistle, and run away. Remove yourself from his presence as fast as possible. If he tries to follow scream like a banshee.

Do not confront a flasher because you do not know how he will react. Take a photo if you can do so safely but not at risk to yourself.

And please report it to police. If you do not you are allowing him to threaten others, quite likely children.

I must admit i lost it with a couple of pilgrims who were rude to me,i gave them such an ear bashing they just stood mouths open,i'll get on with anyone but rude people,oh and next day they approached me on the road and apoligised,as did i for the use of language,we all hugged laughed n moved on.
Glad to read that it was all resolved so amicably the next day.....smiles.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, peregrinos!

When I walked last year, I met the nicest people from all over the world and never had problems. But I heard of one man getting shoved (due to snoring) while he was asleep - which turned ugly.

There's so much trust and community on the Camino, so it seems like it would be the exception. Yet there must be issues at some point with so many people together from so many places.

Did you ever experience or hear of people being un-pilgrim-like? I'm curious about how this was "policed" and how local authorities handle pilgrim-related violence or illegal behavior.
Two unpleasant experiences on the Frances a year ago-0ne involved a very rude French hospitalera in St Jean who threatened me with "no breakfast" because I put on my shoes that morning -( I was on my way out to start my walk after breakfast)- of course I told her what she can do with her breakfast & that I can have breakfast anywhere I want to. The other incident was in Ribadiso albergue where an older German who evidently thought I was on his bed (he was wrong) hit me on my back with a bag while I was sleeping & continually harassed me through dinner at the next door restaurant. He threatened to call the police , why I don't know. That was the last straw- I saw red, got up from my seat-yelled at him to go ahead & call the police & we'll see who'd go to jail-that I have met wonderful & amazing pilgrims from all walks of life, from all over the world but he was the exception -called him the devil of the Camino. He backed off then overheard him ask the restaurant manager where the bus station was. Other than these 2 bad experiences, my whole Camino experience was unforgettable!!

No one asks for trouble. However I ,too, have had my share of 'unhappy' moments and from time to time felt the cold frisson of true fear. Luckily long ago I was taught by my father self-defence. Twice over the years I have been physically attacked; once when 35 while walking to work through Central Park when I knocked the guy down by swinging my briefcase into his groin and unfortunately more recently on the camino when at 71 I knocked a drunk off me while I was trying to take a siesta on a bottom bunk. Both incidents were duly reported to the relevant police; both those incidents left me shaken and wary but never stopped me continuing.

October 2007 I hiked 24 k against the wind to Sahagún. After a delicious lunch at Casa Barrunta in the village of San Nicolas the 'fun' began. From the highway which parallels the camino a taxi horn honked several times. One Spanish pilgrim rushed across the road. She explained that a young hoodlum wearing camouflage was walking the camino. For my safety she offered a ride. I said thanks but I would continue to walk.

Within 10 minutes footsteps crunched the gravel path. Bingo! It was a young guy wearing pink and grey camouflage! We looked at each other. I say "Hola!"; he grunts and passes. Arriving at the municipal albergue I try to explain the situation to the hospitalera. She gave me a key to lock myself in since the place is huge and I was the sole pilgrim. Time passed. While in the shower I hear heavy footsteps mounting the stairs. Covered in soap suds I dash for my poncho. Two big cops and two slim male cyclists appear! "Senora, we've brought you some protection" said the cops. We all laughed, shook hands and I clad only in the poncho brew tea for the five of us. After tea GREATLY relieved I finished my shower and climb into my bunk to blissfully sleep protected.
That was a tremendous posting and a very refreshing one....I love it when women take the initiative to stand up for themselves and I admire your strength and courage. It is unfortunate that these fear inducing situations exist but at least you were protected by the Guardia in that last account.
Margaret Meredith

Spain in general and the Camino in specific are generally peaceful places. People shoot off their mouths and vent their spleens, but violence is very rare indeed.
Even among drunks, if fisticuffs break out it is almost invariably a foreigner who throws the punch. Speaking strictly from my experience, Spaniards may be loud and surly at times, but they are not violent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Spain in general and the Camino in specific are generally peaceful places. People shoot off their mouths and vent their spleens, but violence is very rare indeed.
Even among drunks, if fisticuffs break out it is almost invariably a foreigner who throws the punch. Speaking strictly from my experience, Spaniards may be loud and surly at times, but they are not violent.

I was always amazed at how civil to each other the Spanish politicians were, compared to our "bear pits". The emphasis seemed to be on disagreeing about policies and ideas, without personally vindictive attacks. Tony Kevin speculates in his book that it was because the civil war so scarred everyone. Don't know if it is still the case.

I was always amazed at how civil to each other the Spanish politicians were, compared to our "bear pits". The emphasis seemed to be on disagreeing about policies and ideas, without personally vindictive attacks. Tony Kevin speculates in his book that it was because the civil war so scarred everyone. Don't know if it is still the case.
Kanga - I think it has something to do with the civil (or was it uncivil?) war and more probably the rule of law that Franco enforced for much of the period 1945-75. I recall that a policeman pointed his pistol at me (back in 1973) when I tried to cross a major road away from the authorised crossing (I "had" ignored his whistles and other warnings). But yes I will agree my recent experiences is that Spaniards are usually well behaved and polite to each other and especially to pilgrims.

Yes that was my experience in Finnesterre, a very drunk fellow was staying in the same Hostel I was & asked if I wanted to now were to go get fish. I made the comment that I had fish Just that very afternoon. But I was not very excited to pay such a high price again (50e). He immediately took offense & began cursing me, & of course insulting my country, I of course went into fight mode as he was very threatening. Thank goodness my Aussie friend said something that just snapped me right out of the fight. I simply turned & walked away as he followed for 50 m or so continuing to insult. My purpose for my walk was to leave my years of war & violence behind. Let them yell. It is a pilgrimage isn't it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nobody has ever flashed at me,jeez am i ugly or what :((((...................:)

I know!
Thought I was flashed on the Burnside Bridge in Portland, Oregon during rush hour.
I almost crashed my bicycle laughing!

Let's see, in 7 times walking the CF, I've had maybe 3 bad experiences.
1. The worst, an American who punched a Spanish pilgrim because his daughter was LOOKING for a fight and insinuated something that I don't believe happened;
2. 2nd place goes to the 3 drunk german boys who kept everyone awake with their singing, then vomited all over the bathroom and left it in Sahagun on my 2nd pilgrimage
3. 3rd place goes to the german man who wouldn't let me hang my pack on "HIS" bedpost, the top bunk and who yelled at me repeatedly, "MY bed! MY bed!"

Other than that, it's been pretty mellow and a positive experience. I think, for me, the worst behavior is the littering of nasty toilet paper and sanitary napkins as well as tampons by women along the trail.

As far as other routes, like Laurie, no problems...

and really, in all fairness, 3 mediocre bad experiences in 5537 kilometers isn't bad odds.

I ran into some rudeness, but fortunately nothing beyond that.

I think we've all seen "that guy" who naps in the afternoon, insisting on silence in the dorm, rags on people in the night for snoring, and then wakes everybody up with his pre-dawn rustlings so that he can be on the road before dawn and the first one at the next alberque to start the cycle over again. I realize that I shouldn't be sexist and assume this is always a guy, but I never experienced this behavior from any of the female pilgrims I met - it was always a guy. Maybe there were women who felt the same way, but just seethed inside rather than barking at those around them.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back