• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A question from New Zealand :)

Mazzy

Insufferable pedant
Time of past OR future Camino
(2019) May 12 Camino Frances
Hi all - Maz here from New Zealand. I'm walking the Camino Frances next September so I'm happily doing all my research now. I believe from what I've heard so far that it is best to fly into Paris and out of Madrid afterwards. I only have a month off work so want to make the most of everything. I was originally planning to fly into Madrid as I heard it's the cheapest option out of NZ but someone talked about a bus trip with hairpin bends between Madrid and St Jean Peid de Port. I'm not keen on buses at the best of times, let alone one that will teeter over the edge of a precipice to get me to the start of the camino. Advice anyone please?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
There are flights into Barcelona as well as Madrid. Singapore Air or Emirates check options on sky scanner but book direct. From Barcelona it’s a short train trip to Pamplona - maybe start there with limited time? I don’t find much difference in airfares between these 3 flights, but France is a lot more expensive than Spain, so I wouldn’t worry about $50 on the airfare.

If you are worried about the bus ride to sjpp, maybe you should reconsider walking that’s part?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't forget that in Spain they drive on the wrong side of the road (compared to NZ & UK).

Sit on the left (driver's side) and you won't see down into the gaping chasm so much. Seriously, I'm with you. Sat next to the driver in a Landie careering down from the Atlas mountains - scared me witless but then I'm a whimpy Pom rather than a Roughtie-Toughtie Kiwi ;)

SJPP does make for a pretty good launch pad though, steel yourself and go for it!

If you want to land in Spain there is a good possibly that you could share a taxi for the Pamplona to SJPDP trip. It may not be as scary as a bus. Or you could bus to Roncesvalles and start from there or walk from there to SJPDP by one route and then take the other route back to Spain the next day.

The Pyrenees you cross over I consider more like their foothills.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all - Maz here from New Zealand. I'm walking the Camino Frances next September so I'm happily doing all my research now. I believe from what I've heard so far that it is best to fly into Paris and out of Madrid afterwards. I only have a month off work so want to make the most of everything. I was originally planning to fly into Madrid as I heard it's the cheapest option out of NZ but someone talked about a bus trip with hairpin bends between Madrid and St Jean Peid de Port. I'm not keen on buses at the best of times, let alone one that will teeter over the edge of a precipice to get me to the start of the camino. Advice anyone please?

Hairpin turns...? Yes... Lots of those. This past August, my wife joined me at Santiago. After my month-long volunteer stint, we toured northern Spain in a rental car. I wanted her to see what I see.

From Pamplona, we drove the reverse pilgrim route to Saint Jean Pied de Port. YIKES! It was fine until we turned right just past Roncesvalles to follow the Valcarlos (mostly road) route.

I have been driving for almost 50 years, and have owned several high performance sports cars. My experience includes motocross events. I have driven many a mountain twist and turn. Mountain driving does not scare me... But this road caused me to pay attention, every second.

The stretch from Roncesvalles to SJPdP and back, via the road is positively the most twisted road I have ever driven on...PERIOD! True too, most of the bends have no guard rails and the drop off past the edge is, well, dramatic in the extreme.

If sitting in a bus watching this sort of view distresses you, do not take a bus from Pamplona or Roncesvalles over the Pyrenees. That said, these drivers are skilled and know where the next hairpin turn is...there are dozens of them. You can use Google Maps, satellite view to confirm what I am saying here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Last year we went via Paris, and this year via Barcelona. Going via Barcelona was infinitely easier. Booked the train to Pamplona and the bus to SJPP. Stayed in an Airbnb in Barcelona and a night in an Albergue in Pamplona. We had no problem changing our bus booking to an earlier one, at no cost. I would however book the train as it was full. The Barcelona train/underground is great, and the bus to SJPP ,no problem - I am terrified of heights.

Last year I flew into Bordeaux and caught a train to Saint Jean de Pied de Port

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Maz, I'm from Sydney and flew into Madrid, then flew into Biaritz, then train to SJPDP; at the end I flew SDC to Madrid to home last year. All flights worked well and were relatively cheap. The train to SJPDP is full of pilgrims, is a great start to your trip and will get you excited.

Given your limited time, maybe you should consider starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona. Many people do that.
I was thinking the same thing. With only a month off work you probably don't have time to walk from SJPDP to Santiago after you take into consideration your travel time.

It's a great TGV train trip from Paris Montparnasse station to Bayonne, about 5 hours. Another little train leaves from Bayonne. It goes up the River River valley to Start Jean Pied de Port. Takes about an hour. I find it best to spend the first night in Paris then catch the 7.30ish TGV to Bayonne.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Ki Ora Mazzie ! . We went from Barcelona to Pamplona by train, and organised a van to pick up 4 of us..to go to Roncesvalles. We had bikes, and cycled to SJPDP to get our Credential...and cycled back. I booked it all online..and it all worked a treat. Good Luck and Aroha !

Hey @Mazzy i look forward to hearing how you go. I may be there next September as well. I was planning on 2020 but my little kiwi wants to go to university in Barcelona next year. I was planning on flying into Barcelona and then getting to SJPdP via the train but hadn’t worked out the Pamplona to SJPdP bit yet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are direct feeder flights to Biaritz from London Stansted and Paris.
However if you only have a Month Barceleona a start from Pamplona/Roncesvalle is more realistic.
Do not be slave to the fact that you have to start in SJDP! Remember Pilgrimage starts from leaving your home and arriving at your destination. The official requirement for a pilgrimage certificate is that you walk the last 100K and get two stamps a day in your pilgrim passport.
If you try and do your pilgrimage in too short a time, the higher daily KMs walked, may lead to injury/exhaustion and could spoil your enjoyment. As a sugestion, if you are running short of time it is allowable to miss a section. Some people complain that the section between Burgos and Leon on the meseta can be very boring. Having a rest day in Burgos and taking public transport to Leon allows you to see two very beautiful Cathedral cities!

Hi Mazzy
Alastair here from Hamilton
We took a flight in Barcelona spent a couple of days there then took train to Pamplona and then bus to SJDP it’s easy can send you more info if you would like
Cheers Ap

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back