• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Question of Water on the VdlP

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I've been reading lots of blogs and guides about the VdlP, but I'm still a bit unsure how best to plan for water.

I understand there are few fonts, and also that in many villages the shops/bars/cafes if they exist, might be closed, and of course the stages are somewhat longer than the CF that I am used to.

So I really want to avoid running out of water, it's not a pleasant thing.

So, do you tend to carry enough water for the day?
or
Hope that a cafe/shop might be open and if not, knock on someone's door?

If it's not too hot I tend to do about 10 kms per litre of water. And prefer to walk sub 30 km days if possible. So managing to carry 3-4 litres is OK, but carrying 2 would be better :oops:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Robo
If you need a litre of water for 10 km, make sure that you have it. Don't trust your guidebook when it says there is a fountain. There was a tap near the park entrance at 16 km along the route to Aldeanueva (29 km total walk), apparently functioning when I went through but not there earlier and not working later. The albergue on the Embalse on the way to Canaveral (32 km total) was closed when I went through and is totally unreliable. There was no place to get water on the 28 km walk to San Pedro de Rozados, which was my hardest day. I always carry a paper of water purification tablets for emergency use, but first you would have to find some water. I didn't make reservations, but it might be worth it for you to do so consistently, just so that you would always know how far you would have to walk for water, because both bars and accommodation listed in the guidebook may be closed.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In September 2014 I carried a 3L water bladder each day and most days drank it all. I refilled wherever possible, but the options on the VDLP were limited. Many days there were no water stops available and the days out of Sevilla were mid-30s. I take medications that make me really thirsty, so would drink a litre of water before leaving in the morning, as well.

I Did Vdlp in 2016. It was quite lack of services and Long range in between. We are not Only carried the whole bottle of water(1-1.5L) But also the lunch and some snacks for late dinner. (They close kitchen from 2-7 in the afternoon). I Don't know if the service has improved Or not. Hope They do. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the VDLP you always need water for the whole day, and some snacks. You may not be able to find breakfast before leaving either, or a lunch stop, so you must plan for the next day. I kept a bag of emergency Almonds on me at all times. I didn't generally have a problem finding some kind of dinner though.

About bladders, better to take 2 x 2 litre bladders in case one leaks, and don't fill them both right up if you need 3 litres.

VDLP is a different kettle of fish entirely to CF.

I've been reading lots of blogs and guides about the VdlP, but I'm still a bit unsure how best to plan for water.

I understand there are few fonts, and also that in many villages the shops/bars/cafes if they exist, might be closed, and of course the stages are somewhat longer than the CF that I am used to.

So I really want to avoid running out of water, it's not a pleasant thing.

So, do you tend to carry enough water for the day?
or
Hope that a cafe/shop might be open and if not, knock on someone's door?

If it's not too hot I tend to do about 10 kms per litre of water. And prefer to walk sub 30 km days if possible. So managing to carry 3-4 litres is OK, but carrying 2 would be better :oops:
Better to carry all the water you’ll need. We carried 3 litres and that wasn’t quite enough at times. There are stretches where there aren’t any doors to knock on .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ditto @SYates about salt. Sweat is good because it cools you down but the side effect is you are losing salt. With a bit bigger intake of salt not only your body will be able to keep some more water in but salt also make things easier for the brains to connect the right dots in certain hard situation and therefore make right decision.
For example I know that Slovenian climbers always take huge amount of prosciutto on expeditions in Himalayas or Andes.

I don't think rehydration sachets are needed, unless for a child or sick person. Just eat something salty most days, like ham. Luckily there is no shortage of ham in Spain.
In June, I bought rehydration sachets in Sevilla and we were glad of them, at least for the first week. ( We travelled from the UK where the temperature was 12 deg. straight to Andalucia where it was already 36/37 deg.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In June, I bought rehydration sachets in Sevilla and we were glad of them, at least for the first week. ( We travelled from the UK where the temperature was 12 deg. straight to Andalucia where it was already 36/37 deg.)

I tend to use these. A great boost like Aquarius but without all the sugar!

On Levante with 40+ for two weeks I was using Suer Oral which can be bought in farmacias. One sachet in the middle of the day before the real heat strikes and life is a bit easier :)

@Robo
If you need a litre of water for 10 km, make sure that you have it. Don't trust your guidebook when it says there is a fountain. There was a tap near the park entrance at 16 km along the route to Aldeanueva (29 km total walk), apparently functioning when I went through but not there earlier and not working later. The albergue on the Embalse on the way to Canaveral (32 km total) was closed when I went through and is totally unreliable. There was no place to get water on the 28 km walk to San Pedro de Rozados, which was my hardest day. I always carry a paper of water purification tablets for emergency use, but first you would have to find some water. I didn't make reservations, but it might be worth it for you to do so consistently, just so that you would always know how far you would have to walk for water, because both bars and accommodation listed in the guidebook may be closed.

That was the only day I ran out of water,very hot and long day but was in sight of San Pedro. I only take two average size bottles normally but would advise more on that stretch.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We were warned, but were stupid and walked in August.
We ran out of water on the VDLP and several times, and we OFTEN found listed fountains to be dry.

However, this might be something to file away in your brain.
Once, we tried a fountain and it was dry, or so we thought.
A few fellows came into the square and saw us trying to get water.
Down at the bottom of the fountain base was a metal plate.
It swung sideways - slid, rather - and inside a hole at the bottom was a handle, which they turned, and magically, water began to flow. They apparently turned off the fountain during the hottest months to conserve the water. So just sayin... this could save you.

Also, don't hesitate to knock on doors and ask for water. We found people very friendly, although that was years ago before the hoards.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back