• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Question Please

Owen Duguay

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Le Puy to SJPP to Santiago de Compostelle to Finisterre. Environ 1700 km.
I walked 1700 km from Le Puy to SJPP then to Santiago then to Finisterre in 2016 and also from Lisbonne to Santiago and Muxia in 2018. Now I would like to walk for 3 weeks in Portugal or Northern Spain with my wife who has arthritis. Her arthritis is bad enough that I know that I will have to make concessions. We think that she will be able to walk at the most for 3 weeks. I am thinking and planing of what routes we could do and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions Thank you in advance. Et Joyeuse Fëtes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We think that she will be able to walk at the most for 3 weeks. I am thinking and planing of what routes we could do and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions

Either Leon to Santiago or Porto to Santiago. Both routes can be walked in 3 weeks at a leisurely pace, and both routes have a good infrastructure of accommodation, public transport (if needed), frequent small towns with shops and pharmacies, company with others if wanted.
Jill

On the Porto to Santiago route, there is only one place I can think of where your wife WILL NOT be able to handle the vertical ascent.

This very short segment is located IIRC, after Casa Fernanda at Lugar do Corgo, but BEFORE Ponte de Lima. The peak is only about 180 meters ASL, but the climb is VERY steep.

Please, if anyone knows the precise location of this place, please contribute. I checked all my photos. I cannot better locate this climb / scamper through the forest. IIRC I was hacking up my lungs and just trying to get to the top without losing my footing.

I remember from having come this way TWICE that it is very steep and rocky. In fact, when it is raining, the water runs down the trail like a waterfall. You are walking up the waterfall. Like I said, it is challenging for all, but likely not doable for someone with limited mobility.

For this short segment, I suggest arranging for a taxi to take your wife ahead to Ponte de Lima and meet her there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Porto to Santiago route, there is only one place I can think of where your wife WILL NOT be able to handle the vertical ascent.

This very short segment is located IIRC, after Casa Fernanda at Lugar do Corgo, but BEFORE Ponte de Lima. The peak is only about 180 meters ASL, but the climb is VERY steep.

Please, if anyone knows the precise location of this place, please contribute. I checked all my photos. I cannot better locate this climb / scamper through the forest. IIRC I was hacking up my lungs and just trying to get to the top without losing my footing.

I remember from having come this way TWICE that it is very steep and rocky. In fact, when it is raining, the water runs down the trail like a waterfall. You are walking up the waterfall. Like I said, it is challenging for all, but likely not doable for someone with limited mobility.

For this short segment, I suggest arranging for a taxi to take your wife ahead to Ponte de Lima and meet her there.

Hope this helps.

This steep section @t2andreo, is about 10 kilometers after Ponte De Lima, and is extremely steep. You can see by my photos how it looks. We walked the day with a young lady in a wheelchair, but obviously, she used a different highway route in this section! Perhaps her story will inspire you! Day Eighteen on the Central Route. Check out the elevation profile for this day too. Impressive!

Thank you very much for your help! I just checked your reference against my copy of an older Brierely Camino Portuguese guide. Based on your description, this 'obstacle' is his segment #17.

It appears to be about 13 km north from Ponte de Lima, and is called Alto Portela Grande. The height is actually 405 meters ASL. That sounds more reasonable than my earlier number. The guide depicts the icon for a scenic view. That was certainly true. But the climb to get there was daunting...short, but steep.

This mini peak, is also about 5 km before Rubiaes, a good stopping place. It would be a good place to meet your spouse if sending him/her ahead by taxi. The nearest bar / cafe BEFORE the climb is at Revolta, bout 8 km north from Ponte de Lima. So, you could send you spouse ahead 13 km to meet at Rubiaes. The taxi fare should be about € 15. YOu could send you mochila ahead at the same time...just a thought...

THANK YOU for refreshing my memory.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd recommend, as someone else did, staying on the coastal route through Esposende, Viana, Caminha, Baiona, Vigo to Redondela which would bypass the talked about route. There a couple of sections that go up to around 500ft from about 100 in a fairly short period of time but they are not terrible by any extent. And in all the cases I can remember, there is always the taxi option. Most of the route is fairly low level (although it has its share of 100-150ft ups and downs - not much to most of us but to someone who has pain, it's enough).

I would like to thank everyone for the helpful information. I hope you all have a great New Year and a happy and healthful 2019. We will take the time to evaluate all our possibilitoies and I am thinking I might share with you our final decision. Thanks again for all your help .

This steep section @t2andreo, is about 10 kilometers after Ponte De Lima, and is extremely steep. You can see by my photos how it looks. We walked the day with a young lady in a wheelchair, but obviously, she used a different highway route in this section! Perhaps her story will inspire you! Day Eighteen on the Central Route. Check out the elevation profile for this day too. Impressive!
La Bruja!!! It is tough!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back