• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A question to the wise: starting in Samos or Sarria?

Hal

Time of past OR future Camino
si
I travel in October.

If start my journey in Samos I will by unavoidable circumstances will arrive at 8pm and miss Vespers (and likely miss a monastery tour the next day). Is it still worth staying in the town for a visit under 12 hours under these circumstances?

I am walking this Camino on behalf of a dear and ill family member. The ways of life for those that are dying out in the contemporary world has a certain interest to me (as it does him) and I am fond of religious buildings, but this trip is not about that.

I need to walk to get his Compostela, I want to pre-book accom so I can transfer my luggage and walk reasonably freely. I hope to exist in the moment on the road, to later be able attempt to explain the views and peoples and emotions about the journey to my relative. And I have 5 (maybe 6) days before I fly back to Madrid.

With this in mind, should I give Samos a skip for Sarria?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The night I was in Samos, there was no Vespers, for some unknown reason. (Everyone said there "should" be, but no one was even there to open the door.) And I left in the morning so didn't get a tour. This was a little bit disappointing, but since I was happy with the walk I didn't give it a second thought. Be aware, though, that this can happen.

Do I understand that you are walking only for 5 or 6 days? If you are on a strict timetable, perhaps it is more important to keep some slack in your schedule. Otherwise you won't be able to "exist in the moment on the road" because you will be worrying about meeting your tight schedule!

October is a great time to walk. Maybe you don't need to book more than a day in advance. This would give you the security each day without locking yourself into details so far in advance.

Hi @C, thank you for your response.

I tentatively plan to walk it in 6 days, which will mean I fly out the following evening after I arrive.

Honestly, the part of the reason I want to book in advance is to avoid the rhythm of walking to a hostal, sleeping and washing in the afternoon, eating early and getting locked in at 10. For me, slower steadier hikes are kinder on my body. I'd like to phone ahead to confirm my booking and arrive after 4 or 5.

"Doubling back" to Samos, beautiful as it looks, was a hope but not a need.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @C, thank you for your response.
Honestly, the part of the reason I want to book in advance is to avoid the rhythm of walking to a hostal, sleeping and washing in the afternoon, eating early and getting locked in at 10. For me, slower steadier hikes are kinder on my body. I'd like to phone ahead to confirm my booking and arrive after 4 or 5.
I don't quite understand. You can still book just one day in advance, at private accommodation of your choice, confirm your arrival time during the next day if you want, and arrive at 5 pm. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you were trying to pre-book everything before you arrive in Spain.

I thought you were trying to pre-book everything before you arrive in Spain.

Pretty much, though not necessarily everything. The first 2, maybe 3 nights, sure. I operate best if I have plans A and B and C set firmly (if only in my own mind). Then when I have to deal with unexpected, a Plan D can be conjured with more confidence.

Even with my daily goals dancing in my head hopefully I can still smell the roses along the way.

Hi Hal

Can I suggest that if you're walking for 5 days you need to take very little with you. It'll be cooler in
October so the "whiff" factor will be less. ( Trust me, I've sailed in small boats for a week with only
a splash of the face in the mornings ). If you're carrying your own stuff you're free to stop wherever
you want.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For such a short time, seems that you certainly would not be needing much in your pack and depending on a courier for you bag transfer?? It is quite easy to book ahead, which in October will be even easier as the numbers will be down. Leave some space for the unexpected. Wish you Buen Camino and prayers for your family member.

Thank you for your lovely responses.

I will be walking the Camino after attending a conference and before going on a shorter holiday, and will be coming in an out of Spain from different airports so bag transfer is a likely necessity. As much as I would love to walk as far or as little as I like on any given day, I will be missing out on that part of the journey (at least, this time around).

Samos is a great town and not to be missed in my opinion but I don't think you are allowing yourself enough time. You should start from Sarria with your time frame.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I travel in October.

If start my journey in Samos I will by unavoidable circumstances will arrive at 8pm and miss Vespers (and likely miss a monastery tour the next day). Is it still worth staying in the town for a visit under 12 hours under these circumstances?

I am walking this Camino on behalf of a dear and ill family member. The ways of life for those that are dying out in the contemporary world has a certain interest to me (as it does him) and I am fond of religious buildings, but this trip is not about that.

I need to walk to get his Compostela, I want to pre-book accom so I can transfer my luggage and walk reasonably freely. I hope to exist in the moment on the road, to later be able attempt to explain the views and peoples and emotions about the journey to my relative. And I have 5 (maybe 6) days before I fly back to Madrid.

With this in mind, should I give Samos a skip for Sarria?
With what you have described in mind, I would start in Sarria.

&

Perhaps jumping on a taxi from there for a blitz 6:30 pm inside vist and vespers at 19:30, then taxi back to Sarria would work?

Buen Camino and good luck

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.