• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a question

rioja routard

Hola

I try not to ask questions that have not already being asked. I normally do a search and hey presto there are all the subjects answered.

My sister in law wants to do a mini camino this summer for around 4 or 5 days with her mother and her children aged 7 and 10. Can anyone recommend a child friendly stretch of the camino which will offer them pleasant walking and a good example of what being a pilgrim is all about. I am giving it thought myself but wonder if anyone has an idea.

thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A child friendly stretch would:
have interesting towns,
interesting scenery (not meseta),
distances which are not too long,
regular sweet-shops (or bars for Fanta or Coke).

That would be at either end possibly from Pamplona onwards or from Sarria. I think the towns in Navarre / Rioja are more interesting than those between Sarria and Santiago.

How about starting in Astorga?

They'd see the crosses in the fence before Rabanal (and could add their own), stop in Rabanal, you could tell them stories about wild dogs in Foncebadon, they could leave a stone at the Cruz de Ferro, visit the knights of the Camino at Manjarin. All that could be done in a couple of days.

Just after that there's the castle at Ponferrada, swim in the river at Cacabelos and finish their pilgrimage through the Puerto del Perdon in the church at Villafranca del Bierzo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thanks

That sounds great, though I remember being a good stretch of it has soem quite hard climbing up to Foncebadon and the descent down to El Acebo but should be manageable.

I remember seeing a little peregrina girl walking with her mum so it is feasible. Of course Astorga and Ponferrada are both accessible by train so it seems like a good idea.

I will send this to my sister in law

Many thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.